SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unique Characteristics of Dogs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unique Characteristics of Dogs Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
I have three dogs. Tell Malamute/ Shepard mix from the same litter (120 and 150 lbs respectively) and a five year old Brittany.

The Shepards prefer to be inside the house to the extent where, if told "go outside" the 150 lb male will drop and lay all the averting eye contact. (Unless a biscuit is involved)

Now the Brittany, he's another story. Perfectly happy laying down outside and watching. Didn't matter the weather and as long as he can come inside at will, he'll stay outside all night and all day. Never had a dog which was an "outside dog" by his choice and wondering:

Anyone else here with a dog that has unusual habits like Ruger (my Brittany)?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a husky who hated running after 1.5 miles. He'd get going, settle into a pace and after 15 minutes would start dragging. The g/f at the time would get so frustrated she'd toss me his leash, I can't do it, you take him

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually your Brittany is the normal dog, the other two are distinctly unusual. However that may be due to your location, Malamutes have such a high insulating factor in their fur that the can be very uncomfortable in a warmer climate. So your inside dogs are inside dogs due to the air conditioning.

Corsair, the same is the case with your Husky who wouldn't run. Why don't you try going for a run in August sometime wearing a full complement of Snowmobile gear and see how that feels.

Ps; it really bugs me when people purchase a breed of dog without even considering the effect of the climate where he will be living on the dog. In the case of the Husky and Malamute they are both Arctic Breeds and most comfortable in an Arctic Climate.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Have an Australian cattle dog and the only place she wants to be is where I am. She has always been that way, from the day i picked her up at the shelter. For what ever the reason. I am her world.
She has been the greatest of dogs.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid growing up, my idiot neighbors had a hybrid Wolf / Malamute. They ignored the dog and let it roam the neighborhood, where it ended up at my house.
Unique characteristics:
My Old Man wanted nothing to do with the dog and the dog disliked the Old Man. But if my Father fell asleep in his chair on our porch, the dog would sleep under his chair. I considered it the mutual respect of warriors.
He loved my Mother, who slipped him food without my Old Man knowing it.
The dog, for his size, was... stealthy. I often watched him stalk and catch squirrels.
He had a surprising strength. He was very broad chested and had big feet. We would play and if I ran from him, he would leap up and plant his front paws between my shoulder blades. I was not pushed onto the ground, I was propelled into it.
I used to walk to the local grocery on errands for my Mother. After the dog accepted the fact that he was canine non grata in the store, he would climb up on the stack of water softener bags outside and peer into the store, waiting for me. This scared the crap out the shoppers.
And the thing that most impressed me was when he went to combat ready, he bared his teeth and growled in the most terrifying way, accompanied by the hair on his back standing up. Scared the shit out of everyone who witnessed it.
Despite his bad ass nature, he never bit me. When he would first see me, he spun around in a happy dance.
He hated the cops Harley and would chase it and snap at the legs of the cop riding it. This made me popular with the local cops!
Weather wise, In summer, he would get all his hair trimmed off to keep him cool. Which made look like a punk rocker.
Amazing dog! I still miss him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
My bloodhound likes to sleep on the bench on my back porch. As long as it is not driving rain or extreme heat, she prefers to be outside. She loves snow and will sit on her bench and get covered in snow. Doesn't seem to bother her at all. She wants to be inside with the family at night b

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Actually your Brittany is the normal dog, the other two are distinctly unusual. However that may be due to your location, Malamutes have such a high insulating factor in their fur that the can be very uncomfortable in a warmer climate. So your inside dogs are inside dogs due to the air conditioning.

Corsair, the same is the case with your Husky who wouldn't run. Why don't you try going for a run in August sometime wearing a full complement of Snowmobile gear and see how that feels.

Ps; it really bugs me when people purchase a breed of dog without even considering the effect of the climate where he will be living on the dog. In the case of the Husky and Malamute they are both Arctic Breeds and most comfortable in an Arctic Climate.

Are you assuming that all of CA is sunny, warm beaches or, endless deserts? It'd be one thing to criticize someone with an Arctic dog while living in Southern California or, going to a humid environment, however we were living in Truckee at the time. Not exactly the picture of CA the rest of the country has of this place.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We used to have a rescue Greyhound that I took for long walks around the neighborhood and in the desert. She loved going, but not coming back. No matter how convoluted the path we took, she always knew when I was turning for home, and she started blocking me (walking across in front of me, back and forth). I suppose one could teach a Greyhound to heel, if one had the patience of Job. Sighthounds in general are not known for their strengths in obedience.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I adopted a 4 month old Rottweiler who had to have his eye removed after he lost a fight to a cat. This happened before I adopted him.

I'd take him for walks around the neighborhood, and he would pick up grapefruit sized rocks, and bring them home to his "collection" which he would keep in a corner of my apartment.

He eventually lost sight in his only eye. But most people didn't even notice he was blind. He became acutely aware of his surroundings, and rarely bumped into things. Even in a new environment, it would take him about 48hrs to acclimate himself, and even then if he hadn't been in that environment again for a few years, he would remember it almost immediately when he came back.

I had about 20 tennis balls, and I could throw them all in the air, and he would bring back the same tennis ball every time (it was marked). I could also throw a rock into a shallow stream, and even though he would totally have to submerge himself, and swim to the bottom to pick it up, he would bring me the same rock.

He lived to a ripe old age of almost 13y/o, which is ancient by Rottweiler standards.

Now I have a Boston Terrier that plays soccer...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have Siberians, kenneled outside. In the summer, walks are early in the mornings or late,late evenings.

My first Siberian was the only one ever to come inside and stay (nap), this was years ago. But he always wanted outside.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
No matter how convoluted the path we took, she always knew when I was turning for home

My yellow lab is the same way. Whenever we reach an intersection that leads home, she will always avert her eyes away from the way home and will actually cross the street to avoid going in that direction.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have completely misunderstood and seems you're taking a "holier than thou" approach.

I don't have a/c and even during the summer, they'll go outside to lay in the sun. When they come back in for scratches, digging your fingers through the multiple layers of fur and you'll find their skin still cool.

And Old Rugged Cross, the Brittany does the same. When I get up, he's on my heel. When he's inside, he's next to my chair.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has an Aussy Shepherd and a Border Collie. The Aussy is about 8 years old now and doesn't like the cold or heat or snow at all. She loved it until last year. The Border is about a year old and can hang out in 10 degrees and a blizzard. I think that will change in a few years.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our Catahoula hated being outside, unless we were out too.

Our Border loves it & will lounge outside for hours.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
As a kid growing up, my idiot neighbors had a hybrid Wolf / Malamute. They ignored the dog and let it roam the neighborhood, where it ended up at my house. <snip>

I love your post, Yooper!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Have an Australian cattle dog and the only place she wants to be is where I am. She has always been that way, from the day i picked her up at the shelter. For what ever the reason. I am her world.
She has been the greatest of dogs.

That’s pretty common for a Queensland Heeler/Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler/Red Heeler (you say potato...). Often a one person dog, loyal as heck. Great dogs!

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We have two beagle sister/littermates. Both are stubborn, willful, pains in the ass on a leash. Walking a beagle is like constantly trying to land a large fish.

If they smell where a rabbit has been or (heaven forbid) see a tree rat, their brains all but shut down and the nose takes complete control. They cannot roam free or they head for the hills.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I used to have a dog that climbed ladders. Literally, and easily, to boot. We found that to be unique among all our dogs. Should have put her in the circus.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Ibizan Hounds are able to stand on their rear legs, unsupported by a fence or anything else.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My old girl passed about 6 weeks ago. A Brittney mix. Lived a darn good 17 years. She loved the winter weather. She would lay out in a blizzard for hours. The wife always had a couple towels by the door. We would literally have to force her in the house sometimes in really bad storms. She would bring so much snow into the house we had to towel her off first in the entry way. I miss the old girl.

My neighbor up at the lake has a border collie. We have become attached to one another. As soon as he sees my truck pulling into our drive he heads over. He comes about halfway down our driveway and lays down low to the ground like he's stalking me. He will watch me get out of the truck and unpacking things the whole time laying there pretending like I don't see him. He will stay there until I say "I see you Bandit" and he runs down the rest of the driveway to greet me.

Here's my old girl. Gone but not forgotten.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post