SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to sell a gun? *SOLD*
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best way to sell a gun? *SOLD* Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
15 percent is really good IF they also advertise on the internet.

Best consignment rate I've seen is 10% from GB seller Eastwoods Arms. And, his presentations are among the best of them, like Keystone Arms, who charges 15%.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Best way to sell a gun is to me, cheaply.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
First, let me say that I'm truly sorry that you find yourself in a position where you need to sell a gun(s) for financial reasons...BTDT and, in at least some cases, it's gut wrenching.

One of the factors to consider is how quickly you need to sell it. Also, depending on your local emergency orders, some jurisdictions are closing down gun stores as "Non-Essential".

I agree with the previous posts that selling here is a good option...but also remember that, per current forum rules, your ad can only be listed here...so if you are in a hurry, listing on SF restricts your ability to use other sites to get the most exposure for your ad.

%10-20 consignment fees are typical at gun stores. Also, in some cases, they determine the price the gun is to be sold out, or, in some cases, at least have a price range, and may refuse to accept your gun if you don't agree to their price range.

First, luckily I am not in dire straits, I have savings and one more reducced paycheck coming. I just rather pad that if I can with a gun I own and very rarely use, it's my only non SIG I own that is not chambered in .22. Thank you for your concern, it's much appreciated. If you see my Legion listed in the WTS section then you know I am desperate.

I don't have to sell it quickly, but I would like to get the transaction done quickly just in case travel or businesses become more limited.

I initially thought I might get to take advantage of the uptick in new gun buyers, and help someone who just now realized "shit I need a gun." After thinking about it though they won't be able to buy any bullets, so probably not going to help anyone. Also I would want to see a CCW (CHP here) in order to sell it to someone FTF, and someone who doesn't own a gun already won't have it, so if I don't know them I have no way to vet them.

Called around some more, found one more store willing to look at it for consignment locally, but they wanted 20%. I'd just keep it for that fee, I thought the 15% was a lot.

ETA why is it so gut wrenching to sell a gun I don't even want? I keep looking at it and thinking, jeez she's pretty, maybe I should just keep it. Makes no sense...

I just emailed you from ycrs927.

posted Hide Post
My LGS takes 30% on consignment sale. But he also has overhead that I don’t so I’m not judgeing.

I have only ever sold through calguns to local people and met at the LGS/FFL. No way I’d give a 10% let alone 30% vig.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
ETA why is it so gut wrenching to sell a gun I don't even want?

Yeah, I never understood this, either. Even guns that I really like, I have zero problems letting them go, once I decided "It's your turn to go, buddy". Zero regrets. No look back.

Q

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Skins, I'd say "post it in the classifieds here." I'd be willing to bet that more than one member will see this thread and head right on over to Classifieds to "help you out and do them some good too."

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Post it here, flyer in gun range or on a local forum. GB is good for exposure and sounds good since you have a FFL to ship. Consignment rates around me vary between 10 and 15%. 20% if they advertise online.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'll second VA Gun Trader for a local FTF sale.

VA Gun Trader

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sold several guns through classifieds. It's the easiest and most profitable but be very careful if you go this route. Several years ago I listed a pistol on armslist and the buyer gave me counterfeit money. $440 in fake $20 bills. There wasn't anything about the guy that made me suspicious and there was nothing about the money that made me think it was fake. I went to deposit it in the bank and Suprise! The bank manager said it's counterfeit and they have to send it to the secret service. The serial #s were all the same. I never thought about looking at that and I thought that maybe I'd come across a fake bill someday but never that many.
All of the people I've sold to were nice, honest people, except for that one thief.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the help. I'm either going to list here or VAGunTrader. No bites I'll do GB.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
ETA why is it so gut wrenching to sell a gun I don't even want?

Yeah, I never understood this, either. Even guns that I really like, I have zero problems letting them go, once I decided "It's your turn to go, buddy". Zero regrets. No look back.
Same. Metal, wood, and plastic in various designs.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
For cash.
In person.
With no paperwork.

Duh.

Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Right now?

GB

I had a couple new rifles on there last year that wouldn't even get retail. I put them on there last week and watched them both ignite bidding wars.

CYA, FFL - FFL transfer. You don't get a medal for arming a dirtbag.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Report This Post
Picture of jarcher
posted Hide Post
Best way to sell a gun? Don't.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Posts: 2106 | Location: Charleston, SC US | Registered: May 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Know how to do à face to face transaction. There are great ways ( so that all goes well and your butt is covered), And there are very bad ways to do them. Be safe.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jarcher:
Best way to sell a gun? Don't.

That's cute, but it's of zero help to OP.

Q

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Know how to do à face to face transaction. There are great ways ( so that all goes well and your butt is covered), And there are very bad ways to do them. Be safe.

I'm not sure I want to do FTF, you never know who your getting involved with, and I don't want my wife to be involved as my backup.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sig X5 once. Met the guy in the Library parking lot on the far side next to the police station since I was carrying lots of cash.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I'm not sure I want to do FTF, you never know who your getting involved with, and I don't want my wife to be involved as my backup.

Several of us are local and can probably help you sell it, either through our network of friends or co-workers. Many have purchased through or used the services of our local sigforum FFL who resides in Loudon to help do the transfer.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
classified here, or VA gun trader

15% is a good rate for consignments,
when I do them, I charge 20% for non NFA stuff, usually negotiate if I am brokering a MG

FTF is easy, did a few between licenses,

do up a bill of sale,
ask for ID,, and or CCW, if they balk, walk,

public place, etc etc,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post