SIGforum
Best way to sell a gun? *SOLD*

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2480030864

March 25, 2020, 12:21 PM
Skins2881
Best way to sell a gun? *SOLD*
I am going to be short on cash for the short term, I have a pistol I want to sell. Only ever sold to friends or family and it's been a decade since I sold one. What is the best way?

1) I found a local shop (only one open or willing to do consignment). They want 15%. Fair rate? Can I expect a good price?

2) I have a GB account but never sold anything. I also have a FFL locally I can use to ship it.

3) Armslist or similar other website?

4) Other method I have have not considered?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 25, 2020, 12:22 PM
P250UA5
4) Sell here on SF.

The Enemy's gate is down.
March 25, 2020, 12:23 PM
-Easiest would be the Classifieds.

-If not, GB.

-If I'm super lazy and just don't want to do any work at all, I would do consignment. But, only if the rate is 10% or less. No freaking way I'm paying 15% rate.

Q

March 25, 2020, 12:48 PM
1s1k
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
-Easiest would be the Classifieds.

-If not, GB.

-If I'm super lazy and just don't want to do any work at all, I would do consignment. But, only if the rate is 10% or less. No freaking way I'm paying 15% rate.
Totally agree with this.

SF is a great way to do it and it costs nothing to try. OP already has an FFL to ship through. If it doesn't sell you can take your add down and list it on GB. Might as well give the members a shot first.
March 25, 2020, 12:53 PM
MikeinNC
Classified....once it sells go to your local FFL and have him ship it. Your FFL will email or call the buyers FFL for a copy of the license and zip, zip, zoopity bop...done

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
March 25, 2020, 12:55 PM
RHINOWSO
You've laid out all the options.

Fastest will be a local FTF cash sale - you could likely have greenbacks in your hand the same day (assuming state laws allow this). I usually only do FTF to people I know or require a state CCW permit as additional 'due diligence' that they aren't a scumbag. Any shadiness and I walk on the deal without question however.

Forum / GB - options but require shipping, FFL, etc interactions which can take more time.

Consignment - Depends how you value your time. 10% is usually all I'll pay, but 15% isn't crazy IMO - especially if you are talking a $400-800 gun. Yeah, it's money but it could be the easy button.
March 25, 2020, 12:58 PM
Batty67
Legally of course. Since you are a fellow Virginian (and Nats fan), you might also want to check to VA Guntrader.
March 25, 2020, 01:01 PM
Modern Day Savage
First, let me say that I'm truly sorry that you find yourself in a position where you need to sell a gun(s) for financial reasons...BTDT and, in at least some cases, it's gut wrenching.

One of the factors to consider is how quickly you need to sell it. Also, depending on your local emergency orders, some jurisdictions are closing down gun stores as "Non-Essential".

I agree with the previous posts that selling here is a good option...but also remember that, per current forum rules, your ad can only be listed here...so if you are in a hurry, listing on SF restricts your ability to use other sites to get the most exposure for your ad.

%10-20 consignment fees are typical at gun stores. Also, in some cases, they determine the price the gun is to be sold at, or, in some cases, at least have a price range, and may refuse to accept your gun if you don't agree to their price range.
March 25, 2020, 01:02 PM
bendable
if you need face to face exchange,
I had a local gun forum that I advertised on ,while in AZ, it worked very well for me,
perhaps you have a local gun forum , where you are

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
March 25, 2020, 01:07 PM
220-9er
The local shop at 15% doesn't sound too bad if they are honest and have good traffic. Guns seem to be selling well right now and it would be done by an FFL.
The classifieds here are also a good option. If face to face/local, I'd meet at the FFL and let them do paperwork.

March 25, 2020, 01:12 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
First, let me say that I'm truly sorry that you find yourself in a position where you need to sell a gun(s) for financial reasons...BTDT and, in at least some cases, it's gut wrenching.

One of the factors to consider is how quickly you need to sell it. Also, depending on your local emergency orders, some jurisdictions are closing down gun stores as "Non-Essential".

I agree with the previous posts that selling here is a good option...but also remember that, per current forum rules, your ad can only be listed here...so if you are in a hurry, listing on SF restricts your ability to use other sites to get the most exposure for your ad.

%10-20 consignment fees are typical at gun stores. Also, in some cases, they determine the price the gun is to be sold out, or, in some cases, at least have a price range, and may refuse to accept your gun if you don't agree to their price range.

First, luckily I am not in dire straits, I have savings and one more reducced paycheck coming. I just rather pad that if I can with a gun I own and very rarely use, it's my only non SIG I own that is not chambered in .22. Thank you for your concern, it's much appreciated. If you see my Legion listed in the WTS section then you know I am desperate.

I don't have to sell it quickly, but I would like to get the transaction done quickly just in case travel or businesses become more limited.

I initially thought I might get to take advantage of the uptick in new gun buyers, and help someone who just now realized "shit I need a gun." After thinking about it though they won't be able to buy any bullets, so probably not going to help anyone. Also I would want to see a CCW (CHP here) in order to sell it to someone FTF, and someone who doesn't own a gun already won't have it, so if I don't know them I have no way to vet them.

Called around some more, found one more store willing to look at it for consignment locally, but they wanted 20%. I'd just keep it for that fee, I thought the 15% was a lot.

ETA why is it so gut wrenching to sell a gun I don't even want? I keep looking at it and thinking, jeez she's pretty, maybe I should just keep it. Makes no sense...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 25, 2020, 01:16 PM
HRK
All good suggestions:

Offer a box of ammo with it if you have some, one box of 50 might be a good enticement for someone to buy...

If you have a local gun board in your state list it there and do a FTF as long as it's allowed.

List it in SF classifieds, lots of gun buyers here... Big Grin

Market is hot right now, you should be able to move it pretty easily, just know the rules for FTF sales in your state

March 25, 2020, 01:19 PM
Scurvy
List it. Its a Sig for sale in Virginia, I'm sure youll get plenty of interest in here.
March 25, 2020, 01:30 PM
220-9er
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
List it. Its a Sig for sale in Virginia, I'm sure youll get plenty of interest in here.

That's right. Lots of avowed pacifists there seem to be arming up lately while nobody's looking.

March 25, 2020, 01:48 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

That's right. Lots of avowed pacifists there seem to be arming up lately while nobody's looking.

I would love my gun to go to a lefty so the can sit there and stare at it with contempt and adoration at the same time. I'd hope they'd realize that they are responsible for their own safety and hope that they have come to the realization they can't count on police or the government for all their security at all times. I hope that it would both bring them pain and comfort to get their hands on it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 25, 2020, 02:02 PM
Perception
Might go ahead with the consignment, right now you could probably mark it up 15% to cover the fee and still move it fairly quickly. Gun stores around here are sold out of everything right now.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
March 25, 2020, 02:04 PM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Might go ahead with the consignment, right now you could probably mark it up 15% to cover the fee and still move it fairly quickly. Gun stores around here are sold out of everything right now.

i agree with this

i also like the peace of mind going through an FFL

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
March 25, 2020, 02:20 PM
braillediver
Thinking out loud- Package deal with ammo? Remote- gun via FFL \ Ammo via UPS.

Any ammo would add greatly to its value today.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
March 25, 2020, 02:33 PM
sig operator
Consignment with 2 boxes of ammo would look very enticing in the empty shelves right now. Adjust price accordingly.
March 25, 2020, 02:54 PM
Fredward
15 percent is really good IF they also advertise on the internet. Best bet is 0 percent in the classifieds, though. I've always had great luck with the members here.