SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Adobe Flash update?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Adobe Flash update? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
This is a 10 page agreement by the user.
I did not understand much of it, and did not like some of what I did understand.

Many of my links notify my Flash is outdated.
What to do, what to do?

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
You definitely must be paying real close attention to everything associated with Adobe Flash updates. I went through a very difficult time after an upgrade once when some option I had apparently clicked on allowed them to install unwanted software.

It took lots of time and effort to track down the problem and then to track down the fix which was needed to remove the unwanted programs.

Take your time and carefully read every option before clicking on it. It could save you hours of grief.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I say ditch Flash. Do yourself a favor and learn to do without it. Everything is HTML5 anyway.

If you absolutely must have it, use it only in Chrome. FedEx tracking seems to need it. Strange.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Adobe Flash is just a hodgepodge of exploitable bugs. Use Chrome's built-in Flash when you must use Flash.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Also ... there is a good possibility the "popups" informing you that your version of Flash is out-of-date is malware of some sort.

Triple check everything. Before clicking on a button to install something, roll over said button and take a look at the bottom left area of your browser window which should provide you the LINK two what you are downloading. It should be clear the link is from Adobe and a secure URL.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One. More. Time. (For all the good it'll do.)

DUMP FLASH

Adobe Flash is probably the absolutely worst thing you can have on your computer or whatever. That festering pile of ineptly-designed, ineptly-written software shows up on vulnerability/exploit/patch advisories every single week, without fail. Usually for multiple reasons.

You won't find a single competent computer security expert who won't tell you not to use it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
appreciate the tips;
don't use Chrome. Yet.
Looking to upgrade my understanding of various options other-than Flash.

Aware of the little 'choice' of extra programs included with Flash. Never take any of them, is my standard response.

Just did install 'ad blocker ultimate' yesterday per a post here. Amazing improvement so far.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
don't use Chrome. Yet.

Google Chrome has "safer", updated version of Flash built-in. Even if you do not like Chrome, it is still useful for those URLs advising you to install Flash. (Do not install Flash cannot be repeated enough - just yet.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My computer was taken over twice by some FlashPlayer updates. Once I figured out what happened, I deleted FlashPlayer and refuse all update notices.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
This is a 10 page agreement by the user.
I did not understand much of it, and did not like some of what I did understand.

Many of my links notify my Flash is outdated.
What to do, what to do?

Uninstall flash and never use it again. If you can.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed Acrobat reader last week and was watching for the extra shit that Adobe likes to add since I've been bit on it before with flash - McCafee - Ask Toolbar etc. No prompts nothing - it just installed McCafee and some intel password vault BS all on it's own - it didn't give me a choice. Freaking garbage.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I installed Acrobat reader ...

Another Adobe product to avoid like the plague. Along with Flash, Java and a couple other things: One of the biggest vulnerabilities you can install. Find a different PDF reader.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I installed Acrobat reader last week and was watching for the extra shit that Adobe likes to add since I've been bit on it before with flash - McCafee - Ask Toolbar etc. No prompts nothing - it just installed McCafee and some intel password vault BS all on it's own - it didn't give me a choice. Freaking garbage.

You just weren't paying attention.
There is an "optional" section prior to the download/install.
Additionally, you got the those "optional" apps with Flash not Acrobat Reader.
You can opt out with both downloads.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I installed Acrobat reader

Never use it. I use Nitro Reader.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I yell'd don't look Ethel!
But it was too late
she dun been mooned
Flashed her right there
in front of the shock absorbers....

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
should Adobe AIR be uninstalled as well?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post