SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to look at puppies this week UPDATE WITH PICTURE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to look at puppies this week UPDATE WITH PICTURE Login/Join 
posted
I am a little excited to say the least. It has been almost a year and a half without my dear Dixie. I have been searching here and there online and found a breeder in central PA that was having a litter. I was too late and would have to wait a year or two until my time. Meanwhile, I found someone else closer that has a litter now due to be released on the 14th. We will be taking the hour drive to check them out and possibly put a deposit on one if everything checks out. Look out neighbors, as there may be a Black and Tan coonhound in the hood once again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: petr,

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with my son to pick an aussy shepherd pup and his border collie pup. Three years apart. You don't pick the pup but the pup picks you. I'm sure a great dog is going to pick you outBig Grin

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe check at the local rescues while you wait.
You never know what they might have.

Posts: 9489 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that they choose us.

If there was a Black and Tan in a shelter around here I would be on it. We have driven to North Carolina for a dog once. Dixie came from a shelter 4 hours away. Coonhounds don't show up often in these parts and when they do, they are gone quickly. My wife also wants a puppy so we can train her proper from the beginning.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Lots of dogs pick you. Back in 1990 my younger so went to Wisconsin to visit my brother. He'd been begging for a dalmatian for months. So older son and his GF went with us. The usual sales scene, puppies everywhere. So we sat down on their kitchen floor and the puppies swarmed us. All but one. He walked over to the older sons GF, climbed in her lap and that was it. He didn't pick me, my wife or son, but he liked the girl. Spot went home with us.

I didn't think it was fair because I had to pay and then for the next 14 years, take him for a walk every day. It didn't matter, he got to pick, we didn't.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Lots of dogs pick you. Back in 1990 my younger so went to Wisconsin to visit my brother. He'd been begging for a dalmatian for months. So older son and his GF went with us. The usual sales scene, puppies everywhere. So we sat down on their kitchen floor and the puppies swarmed us. All but one. He walked over to the older sons GF, climbed in her lap and that was it. He didn't pick me, my wife or son, but he liked the girl. Spot went home with us.

I didn't think it was fair because I had to pay and then for the next 14 years, take him for a walk every day. It didn't matter, he got to pick, we didn't.

Wow, I have a similar story about our Golden. My wife & I were to visit two breeders in Southwest PA and on the first stop six years ago, we were introduced to a litter of 8 pups. I stooped over to pick one up, while my wife sat down on the kitchen floor. I was about to look into the eyes of the little girl I had just picked up, when my wife said "I found her". No joke, our Golden walked into my wife's lap within a few seconds of her sitting down without being beckoned and the pup wasn't even the closest one to my wife's lap.
I thank God every day that she picked us.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Maybe check at the local rescues while you wait.
You never know what they might have.

This.... We foster with a local rescue group and frequently get litters of puppies. They get medical care, spay or neuter, a start on housebreaking and are ready for adoption at about 16 weeks of age.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we went, looked, and chose...one. Then my wife and oldest son decided two would be better than one. Sooo...

Sweet Tea is on the left and Daisy is on the right

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
What adorable faces!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Two is the only way to go when it comes to hounds.
And I loves me some hounds. Those two characters are adorable! I envy you as I lost my female Treeing Walker Coonhound a few years ago, and her brother is now 11 years old and more couch potato than anything else at this point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Keep your eye on Sweet Tea, looks like trouble! Not to mention those paws!

Congrats, hope the love lasts a long time.

Posts: 6442 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good Job! I agree that if you're going to have one may as well have two. Not much more expensive and they will entertain each other.

Posts: 4689 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have 4 males left...He is willing to work on the price for them. My email is in my profile if anyone is interested.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Great looking pups. Enjoy them as much as you did Dixie.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Good on you, nice looking pups.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet Tea was the original one I picked out. She is a "firecracker" according to the breeder. She is a cuddle bug and actually calmer than Daisy at the moment. She is 12 pounds and Daisy is 10 pounds so when they play, Sweet Tea is on top most times. They learned to do the steps in one day and are quite good about potty training so far. They don't go to the door yet, but we are working on that portion of the training. Noses down, tails up and wagging when they are outside.

Big deal, sorry for your loss as we lost my Dixie about a year and a half ago and I still miss her everyday.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Good looking dogs, coonhounds?

Posts: 1548 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Great looking pair of pups. They got that, Where you taking us look on their faces.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Purebred Black and Tan coonhounds

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Thought so. My neighbor has a few, and when they get to howling, they could wake the dead. Now one of my dogs has learned to howl with them.

Posts: 1548 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post