SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any tequila Connoisseurs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tequila Connoisseurs? Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
A client just sent me a large box full of liquor. I know the scotch is $$ and higher end, I am not a tequila drinker, but I would assume based on the presentation, as well as the quality of the scotch that the tequila is also high end.

How do you drink this stuff? In a shot glass with salt on your hand and a lime after Confused in a glass with ice? the best tequila I have had to date is Patron, and it doesn't do anything for me, but I'm willing to give it another go.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I either sip it neat, or over ice. That is very good Tequila. I don't do the salt and lime much anymore.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty high end bottle.
I would not even do ice with that tequila. Sip it straight and enjoy a very excellent tequila. If you don't like tequila (after trying it) give it to a good friend who will appreciate it.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Don Julio is sipped from a small glass, while I watch with envy.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That is absolute top end tequila. Sip it. Neat. Don't mix it. Don't shoot it. For gods sake don't let salt and lime anywhere near it. I love Don Julio and keep their Anejo on hand. The Real is normally outside my price range. If you don't like it either keep it on hand for guests who do like tequila or gift the remainder to a friend.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. I may close up shop early and head home for the day to give this stuff a shot

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
It's rot gut stuff. Send it here for proper disposal. Big Grin Seriously, if you have a nose for scotch, you will very likely enjoy this one neat or over ice as has been previously pointed out. No salt or lime should ever get near that stuff.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
That is some good stuff right there, congrats. Cool
That one is one I want to try.
I cap out on $140 bottle stuff like DJ 1842 or Jose Cuervo Family Reserve.
Well done.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
That is some good stuff right there, congrats. Cool
That one is one I want to try.
I cap out on $140 bottle stuff like DJ 1842 or Jose Cuervo Family Reserve.
Well done.

it's the least he could do haha, I didn't screw up his 3/4 million dollar car Razz

├┼┼╕
246R

orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
That's about as good as Tequila gets, I love me some DJ. Like everyone else has already said no ice but I do like mine with a bit of chill and will throw my bottle in the fridge.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
That's about as good as Tequila gets, I love me some DJ. Like everyone else has already said no ice but I do like mine with a bit of chill and will throw my bottle in the fridge.

that was my other question. better cold or room temp.. I suppose I'll try both ways

├┼┼╕
246R

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
room temp for me. I believe some serve it chilled but that high end stuff probably no need. I just got into tequila, i let a friend try the higher end stuff neat and they coudlnt believe how good the don julio 42 was. If you like tequila in general it will serve you well.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headcase
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:

that was my other question. better cold or room temp.. I suppose I'll try both ways

Generally speaking (there are always exceptions) people chill things when they don't like the taste, as it buries the flavors.

Room Temp.

SSDD

---------------------------------
He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Posts: 68 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: March 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Cool room temperature is best for me. Chilling it will kill a lot of the flavors.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The really good smooth tequilas I will sip from a brandy snifter rather than a shot glass. Perhaps it brands me as a Philistine, but I will sometimes chill an empty glass in the freezer before I pour, to get just a hint of coolness on the tongue.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Dwayne the Rock Johnson can be seen drinking what you have been gifted - it is his tequila of choice. For a guy who can afford anything, I would say that is decent praise.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I knew the Macallan rare cask was spendy at $250-$300 but since I'm not a tequila guy at all this thread had me curious so I did a search. Holy shit! $375 to $400 for a 750ml bottle of this stuff. It damn well better come with lips! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
That is a pretty high end bottle.
I would not even do ice with that tequila. Sip it straight and enjoy a very excellent tequila. If you don't like tequila (after trying it) give it to a good friend who will appreciate it.

This

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've not tried this one but espolon extra anejo is awesome. It lists at 100 but is usually 50 here. Aged 6 years and not very tequila tasting.

My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Aged 6 years and not very tequila tasting.
And this perfectly illustrates why I don't drink Añejos.

It's an obscenely expensive tequila. Many people like the taste that years of aging in a whisky barrel imparts to tequila and you may find that you really like it. Nice client.

ETA: The thread prompted me to pour a caballito of El Tesoro Platinum, an old favorite that I hadn't been able to buy for quite awhile.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post