SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use leaf filter or other gutter guard system?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use leaf filter or other gutter guard system? Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking at a gutter guard system but of course like all things I've read two sides of an arguement. Have any of you had these and if so what do you think of them? We have mostly pine trees here.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I use the system Costco sells. 6" fit my gutter and I installed them by myself about 3 years ago on a ranch style house. Work great keeping my pin oak leaves out.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Over a period of about 20 years we tried at least 3 of the more popular systems, owner installed version.

The most compelling 'science' based version was a closed-top with just a particular type of slit to allow water in but no leaves. It did work well for the combination of locust, apples, wild cherry & random leaves. What happened in 3 or 4 years, was a solid mass of moss developed within the gutters, requiring complete removal of the secret special plastic panels.

The thin flexible metal grating style worked well enough, until they too clogged up requiring multiple regular seasonal clearing of wet leaf debris stacking on top of the grating.

The amazing slotted tubes were promising. Until the too filled with moss, while still needing to have the leaves cleaning OFF the top of them.

We get a few pine needles now & then. Maple and locust seed pods accumulate too.

Good luck.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Gutter guard. Love it.

56 massive oak trees on my property.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just got 'em, and so far they appear to do great with the live oaks. Don't know how they'd work with pine needles.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Gutter Helmet installed on a home I owned 20+ years ago. Expensive but is bullet proof and works. Still on that home.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the screen ones that stick up a bit and they work very good for normal leaves.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I use the system Costco sells. 6" fit my gutter and I installed them by myself about 3 years ago on a ranch style house. Work great keeping my pin oak leaves out.

I installed the same guards two years ago. No issues. Our major problems were maple leaves and seeds.

I had leaf

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
All depends on what type(s) of trees you have around your house. With the mix of pine and other trees, I’ve learned for me it’s better to have none.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have the actual Leaf Filter System.
It is expensive but this particular one works very well and is very well built.
I think there was a thread recently on this ~ you might want to do a search.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I installed Leaf Relief on my home.

Hasn't failed me yet. I have towering sugar maples, white oaks, and honey locust trees.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Any system of gutter guard work with Doug Fir needles?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had trouble free Leaf Guard gutters for 10 years now.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Any system of gutter guard work with Doug Fir needles?

The leather glove, pine/fir needle removal system. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have cedar trees. Small Particles of the leaves clog any system quickly.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
When we built our farmhouse 15 years ago we had the gutter people install whatever it was they carried as a leaf guard. It works well and trouble free and very reasonably priced. Most of our trees are oak.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some inexpensive gutter guards from Lowes back in 2013 or so and they have worked well. They come in 3 foot sections, cost about 4 bucks per section and easy to install yourself. Since I installed the gutter guards I have not had any debris accumulate in my gutters.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Mrs 12GA is pestering me to stay off the extension ladder and get some sort of gutter guard. We live on 3/4 acres wooded with poplar, maple, pine and apple trees.

Twice a year I’m cleaning the damn gutters out by hand so I’m going to follow this discussion to see what works best.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Bringing this back up, looking at doing this soon, DIY

I'm liking these so far, anyone used them?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ameri...in-x-3-ft/1002923390

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post