SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyway to improve the performance of my iPad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyway to improve the performance of my iPad? Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
My iPad's performance is really slowing down and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do short of getting a new one.
I know about pressing the home button twice and flipping the pages that you have recently viewed.

I was wondering if there is something like Disc Cleanup and Disk Defrag that I can do.
Thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just take it to any Apple Store and they'll fix it for you at no charge.
You'll be surprised how easy one of the people on the floor or someone at the Genius Bar in the back of the store.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will likely do it for you right now.

Try a Reset first. Hold both the "Off" button ( top right edge) and the "Home" button until a white Apple logo appears. Then release both and wait for reset to complete. Then start as always, I betcha.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I tried and tried to fix mine. It was pretty old, but I kept trying. I reduced the app count. I reset it numerous times. I wish it was possible. But, my iPad went to the Thrift Store after about a year of trying. I think Apple has advanced its software so far that older hardware can't keep up.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It depends how much memory the iPad came with...mine is 16 GIG...to try to speed it up, delete photos from the Camera Roll (Photo Stream is backed up on the Cloud...they are separate) and check up on how much memory is taken up on messages (delete what you don't need...which for me was pretty much everything)...go into Safari and clean up your cookies and data (you might be surprised on how much stuff is in there and is running in the background...same by double clicking the "button" and swiping up to the top of the screen the pages that come up to delete (such as YouTube, The Weather Channel and some such)...I do this daily on my 7 year old iPad...it helps a bunch.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Have you also cleared your History and Website Data?

For Safari go to settings, scroll down to safari, highlght it, then scroll down the right side to “Clear History and Website Data” and click.

For Chrome click the 3 verticle dots in the upper right corner, click “Settings”, click “Privacy”, click “Clear Browsing Data”, then check off “Browsing History”, “Cookies/Site Data” and “Cached Images” ONLY and no others, then click “Clear Browsing Data” and click it again when it reappears.

Sometimes you also need to do a reset. Hold down both the power button and home button at the same time and do not release them until screen goes black, and continue to hold them down until the apple logo comes on, then release both. It will restart normally and you won’t have lost anything.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone..
We don't have a Genius Bar anywhere near me but I will try some of the other suggestions.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

We don't have a Genius Bar anywhere near me but I will try some of the other suggestions.
I do have an Apple store near me, maybe 15 minutes depending on traffic. Person-to-person help has been useful in solving things like this for me.

At times, it is not convenient for me to go to the Apple store. If you poke around in the "support" section of the Apple website you will find an option for a chat session with a techie at the Apple mother ship. I have used this more than once to solve problems. I don't remember, but there might be a telephone option as well. I am hearing impaired, so telephone is not really an option for me.

As with most Apple support services, there is no charge for this help. It's FREE!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old iPad 2. It's really slow. I ended up deleting a lot of unused stuff and turning off anything running in the background. It helped a little. But then I let it die and didn't charge it for weeks. I finally got back to it and the date was wrong and it locked me out.

I ended up resetting it to factory settings, updating to whatever the latest iOS it could handle and redownloading the aps I use and it's much better now.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post