SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheriff Department Statistical Analysis Unit pinpoints burglary.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheriff Department Statistical Analysis Unit pinpoints burglary. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
The Orange County Sheriff's department pinpoints the location of a predicted burglary using statistical analysis, captures bad guys in the act.

Bonus car crash, foot chase, and a classic picture of the bad guy in pain on a gurney.

http://www.ocregister.com/arti...eputies-sheriff.html

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats pretty cool

but there has to be more to the story

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cops have been predicting crime for years.

But, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I would have been more impressed had the suspects, observed and caught in the act, hadn't been allowed to escape, resulting in high speed pursuit on public streets.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
thats pretty cool

but there has to be more to the story

Well, it's probably a pretty well-to-do neighborhood, and south Orange County is notorious for being "socio-economically homogeneous." A 2001 gold Honda Accord with 3 adult passengers in the middle of the day would stick out like a sore thumb.

After a couple of break-ins in the neighborhood, probably on the same days as these idiots probably all have the same days off, it wouldn't be too hard to post up an undercover vehicle and watch for the one random vehicle with 3 adults driving into the neighborhood.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cool, they have Precogs on staff now?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

probably on the same days as these idiots probably all have the same days off,

I would guess those illustrious idiots have every day off.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Related story: Last evening around 11:30, the local cops got a call from some Yooper Snowbirds who were warming up in Arizona.
Surveillance cameras (night vision, motion activated) caught a dude prowling around the front and rear porches of their vacant home. The security system sent live video of the dude to the homeowners who in turned called the cops.
House was surrounded and the burglar was inside. He was taken into custody without incident. Now in our jail. And if he makes bond, there is the little matter of all the warrants for him out of Alger Co.
Better living through technology. Hundreds of miles away and still able to protect their house.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Criminals don't have MENSA cards in their back pockets. Cops are smarter than these crooks realize. I just read a story about a huge drug bust on the West side of Chicago.
During the planning of the raid, police analysts reviewed Chicago Fire Department ambulance calls for opioid overdoses on the West Side in 2016.

They discovered that the map where ambulances responded was nearly an identical to where Chicago police had been called for shooting incidents on the west side, illustrating that the gang-fueled drug trade continues to drive violence in Chicago, police said.

The focus of the raids was to target the gangs and suppliers who are distributing illicit drugs, police said.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My department (I am road volunteer) has stats unit for patrol emphases.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post