SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turkish president Erdogan's bodyguards beat up US protesters in DC - Chutzpah! UPDATE: 19 of the guards have been indicted by the US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkish president Erdogan's bodyguards beat up US protesters in DC - Chutzpah! UPDATE: 19 of the guards have been indicted by the US Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Well, Sec. State Tillerson said they summoned the Turkish Ambassador and expressed their dismay. That's how these breaches of diplomatic decorum are handled.

In practical terms there are also the usual six options. One, do nothing. Two, issue a statement deploring the conduct. Three, lodge an official protest. Four, cut off aid. Five, break off diplomatic relations; and six, declare war.

There is another option I've heard of which may happen but which will not be reported.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Amazing display of chutzpah as Turkey summons US ambassador to complain about 'rough treatment' of guards who attacked peaceful protesters on US soil (not on embassy grounds).

Turkey summons US ambassador to protest 'aggressive' handling of Turkish bodyguards

Well, Sec. State Tillerson said they summoned the Turkish Ambassador and expressed their dismay. That's how these breaches of diplomatic decorum are handled.

In practical terms there are also the usual six options. One, do nothing. Two, issue a statement deploring the conduct. Three, lodge an official protest. Four, cut off aid. Five, break off diplomatic relations; and six, declare war.

Well the US summoning the Turkish ambassador makes sense. Multiple videos and 100% of the eyewitnesses corroborate that the bodyguards attacked the protesters unprovoked. On US soil. That's definitely a cause for summoning an ambassador.

However it is the height of chutzpah for the Turkish government to summon the US ambassador to complain about the 'rough treatment' of the guards. Are they wanting the US government to pay the cleaning bill for the blood of the protesters on their suits?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to boot those goons out of the USA. Unacceptable period!

Add to this, move ALL OF THE US MILITARY OUT OF TURKEY!

What a bunch of sh_t!

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to the day that the US withdraws aid and assistance to the Turks. We may have needed them once, but I feel now they are burdensome and not worth their cost.

I strongly hope that we can push our politicians to do right by our citizens that were attacked by the thuggish Turks. Hand them the ass spanking they truly deserve!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I don't agree. We or our guards do the same thing to protect American Embassies abroad.

Since when do U.S. Marines leave U.S. compounds and commence beating up peaceful demonstrators on foreign soil?

Erdogan is nothing more than a tyrant and bully. Now he's getting away with conducting his abuse on U.S. soil. This is manifestly unacceptable!

Mr. Trump has just lost a couple degrees of respect, in my eyes, by allowing this to have occurred on U.S. soil, without any more reaction than a wagging of the finger at the offenders Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
chutzpah

indeed.

and it's especially humorous to hear it used to describe a Muslim/Muslims. I bet he/they hate(s) that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
5 different videos of the attack synchronized. Pretty much shows that Erdogan gave the order to attack the US citizens on US soil and that at no time were the protesters presenting any kind of threat.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...CJg&feature=youtu.be

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Execute them, burn the house.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, You missed one: tell the country to immediately recall and replace the Embassy staff, including the Ambassador.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...timesworld&smtyp=cur

Turkey’s President Calls U.S. Indictments of His Guards a ‘Scandal’

Turkey’s president denounced what he called the “scandalous” American judicial system on Friday, responding to new indictments of his bodyguards over a brawl during his visit to Washington in May.

The remarks in Istanbul by the president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, underscored his view of the indictments as another affront in an increasingly strained relationship with the United States, a NATO ally.

Members of Mr. Erdogan’s armed security detail were captured on video punching, kicking and choking pro-Kurdish protesters, including American citizens, outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence in Washington on May 16. Video clips also showed that Mr. Erdogan, who was in Washington to meet with President Trump, witnessed the brawl.

Washington police officers intervened to halt the fighting, which the Metropolitan Police chief, Peter Newsham, described as a brutal attack on peaceful protesters that had left at least 11 people injured. American lawmakers and other officials expressed outrage that Mr. Erdogan’s guards had behaved in such a manner.

Twelve Turkish security officers were charged in June in connection with the attack. A federal grand jury indicted three more this past Tuesday. Four others also have been charged.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

video
Did the Turkish President’s Security Detail Attack Protesters in Washington? What the Video Shows MAY 26, 2017

In Video, Erdogan Watches as His Guards Clash With Protesters MAY 18, 2017

Erdogan Security Forces Launch ‘Brutal Attack’ on Washington Protesters, Officials Say MAY 17, 2017
All but two of the defendants — a pair of Turkish-American businessmen — are at large, and most, if not all, are believed to be in Turkey.

Mr. Erdogan’s aides have said his security detail was shielding the Turkish president from what they called inadequate protection by the Washington police from the demonstrators, who were protesting Mr. Erdogan’s crackdown on Kurdish separatists.

Mr. Erdogan, who had expressed his anger when the initial indictments were announced three months ago, doubled down on his criticism on Friday when asked about the additional indictments.

“This is completely a scandal,” he told reporters in televised remarks on the first day of the Eid al-Adha holiday. “It is clearly a scandalous sign of how justice works in America.”

Mr. Erdogan also said he would discuss the issue with President Trump if the opportunity arose. Both are attending the United Nations’ annual General Assembly summit meeting later this month.

The criminal charges have added to Mr. Erdogan’s irritation with the United States, which predates Mr. Trump’s presidency.

Mr. Erdogan has repeatedly called on the American judicial authorities to extradite Fethullah Gulen, a cleric who lives in exile in Pennsylvania. He is the leader of a Turkish Muslim sect accused by Mr. Erdogan of having helped orchestrate an attempted coup that roiled Turkey in July 2016.

Mr. Gulen, a longtime critic of Mr. Erdogan’s, has denied any connection to the coup attempt and vowed to fight extradition.

Thousands of people suspected of being followers of Mr. Gulen and his sect have been purged from their jobs and prosecuted in Turkey since the coup attempt. Mr. Erdogan’s government refers to Mr. Gulen’s sect as Feto, an acronym for “Fethullah Gulen terrorist organization.”

The Turkish leader also has criticized the American military for aiding Syrian Kurdish militia fighters in the fight to rout the Islamic State from Syria. Mr. Erdogan and his aides regard the Syrian Kurds as enemies because of their links to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party, the main Kurdish militant group in Turkey, also known as the P.K.K.

“These developments in the United States are not good at all,” Mr. Erdogan said Friday. “The United States is still a country where the Feto gang is being protected.”

He also said the United States “has literally become a country where the P.K.K. terrorist organization is under protection.”

- John Adams

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A scandal, eh? So tell us, Mr. Erdogan, why no one but you is outraged?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Erdogan bin Raghead needs to shut his fargin pie hole.

Scandal? Blow me.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NJ around of a lot of Armenians. So basically I grew up believing they were the enemy. My 90-something year old neighbor had a serial number tattoo on his arm from when he wasn't a boy in a Turkish labor camp. His father was forced to walk to death in the desert.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised as to the progress thus far. Thugs on the street, US citizens abused; just biz as usual.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ I read your post, then I read your signature line, and the thought that crossed my mind was: "Well, when it comes to the Turks, the Greeks oughtta know."

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post