SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turkish president Erdogan's bodyguards beat up US protesters in DC - Chutzpah! UPDATE: 19 of the guards have been indicted by the US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkish president Erdogan's bodyguards beat up US protesters in DC - Chutzpah! UPDATE: 19 of the guards have been indicted by the US Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Cripes.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...ers-in-washington-dc

Nine people hurt and two arrests made during the altercation at the Turkish ambassador’s residence in the US capital

Nine people were hurt and two arrests were made during an altercation at the Turkish ambassador’s residence in the US capital during a visit by Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

According to witnesses, a brawl erupted when Erdoğan’s security detail attacked protesters carrying the flag of the Kurdish PYD party outside the residence. A local NBC television affiliate reported Erdoğan was inside the building at the time.

Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said the altercation broke out between two groups but he didn’t elaborate on the circumstances. He said two people were arrested, including one who was charged with assaulting a police officer.

“All of the sudden they just ran towards us,” Yazidi Kurd demonstrator Lucy Usoyan told ABC, adding that she was attacked by a pro-Erdoğan supporter.

“Someone was beating me in the head nonstop, and I thought, ‘Okay, I’m on the ground already, what is the purpose to beat me?’”

The altercation came the same day that Erdoğan met Donald Trump at the White House. The State Department declined to comment.

Earlier Trump and Erdoğan had stood side by side at the White House and promised to strengthen strained ties despite the Turkish leader’s stern warning about Washington’s arming of a Kurdish militia.

Fresh from securing his grip on Turkey with a referendum to enhance his powers, Erdoğan came to the Oval Office with complaints about US support for Kurdish fighters and what Ankara says is Washington’s harbouring of the mastermind of a failed coup.

But both leaders also tried to put a brave face on their differences and to renew a key alliance between Nato’s leading power and its biggest Muslim member, partners in the fight against the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq.

“It is absolutely unacceptable to take the YPG-PYD into consideration as partners in the region, and it’s going against a global agreement we reached,” Erdoğan said, referring to the Kurdish Peoples’ Protection Units (YPG) in Syria.

“In the same way, we should never allow those groups who want to change the ethnic or religious structures in the region to use terrorism as a pretext,” he added, suggesting that the Kurds were using the anti-Isis fight as cover for separatist nationalism.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
hell of a kick at 00:22

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Close the embassy, deport everyone in it.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had to get it on.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
These folks have a slightly different approach to working through their issues. Wink Put the consulate folks on plane one and the protesters on plane two out of this country. Just one more problem we don't need here.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Since when is it OK for Iranians from their Embassy and Erdoğan's security detail to attack peaceful American protesters on American soil?

Fuck those guys.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Turks, not Iranians. And since the best you can do is revoke their diplomatic status (that's sure as shit incompatible with diplomatic status), I'd say it's a damned shame a few of those "bodyguards" didn't catch a billy club in the teeth.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't give a fuck if they're Carthaginians or Etruscans. Get them the fuck out of this country. Today. Pack your shit and get to the airport.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Right, Turkey, not Iran. Oops. And yes, every one of them ought to have their status revoked and ought to be shuttled the fuck out of this country, stat.

That shit is unacceptable.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I don't agree. We or our guards do the same thing to protect American Embassies abroad. In many of those situations, the government kind of endorses the anti-American protests.

Maybe this should be a limitation of freedom of speech. Not at foreign embassies, and particularly when the foreign head of state is visiting. Sure, that's when its most attractive to the protestors. They need to know a good ass kicking is coming when they do. Sure, they cry and whine because they got hurt. But its also what they wanted.

Disclaimer: I have no positive feelings for the Turks, and I don't even know what a kurd looks like. I even kind of wonder. Is it what little Miss Muffet was eating in the corner? Whey is nasty, but its a protein source.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will be interested to see if any can be / will be prosecuted.

Some specific 'diplomats' have immunity, but not all.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I don't agree. We or our guards do the same thing to protect American Embassies abroad. In many of those situations, the government kind of endorses the anti-American protests.

Maybe this should be a limitation of freedom of speech. Not at foreign embassies, and particularly when the foreign head of state is visiting. Sure, that's when its most attractive to the protestors. They need to know a good ass kicking is coming when they do. Sure, they cry and whine because they got hurt. But its also what they wanted.

I seem to recall that embassy grounds are sovereign property of the owning country. So the Turkish Embassy is Turkish, even in DC.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

I seem to recall that embassy grounds are sovereign property of the owning country. So the Turkish Embassy is Turkish, even in DC.

They were not on or near the Embassy property.

This was on the US street outside of the Turkish ambassador's residence.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:

Disclaimer: I have no positive feelings for the Turks, and I don't even know what a kurd looks like. I even kind of wonder. Is it what little Miss Muffet was eating in the corner? Whey is nasty, but its a protein source.

What does Little Miss Muffet and ISIS in common?

Both have Kurds (curds) in their way (whey)

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I suppose if Trump were at the US Ambassador's residence in Turkey and a bunch of North Korean protestors began converging that the US Secret Service would hand out ass whippings as deemed necessary. This is a big "meh" to me.....don't start none, won't be none.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
They didn't start none. All they did was protest peacefully on public property, which they have every right to do.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
They didn't start none. All they did was protest peacefully on public property, which they have every right to do.

Sorry, didn't realize you were there. I only saw a few minutes of video with no context.

Had this been the Israeli Ambassador's home and the protesters yelling "free Palisitne" would you be so quick to condemn Netanyahu's security detail?

I guess my point is that both the Ambassador and Leader of Turkey are here as our guest, like it or not. No need for the Kurds, or their supporters, to bring their discord into our house lest our guest take exception.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Will be interested to see if any can be / will be prosecuted.

Some specific 'diplomats' have immunity, but not all.

--------------------------------------

Any foreign citizen can be PNG'd (Persona non grata), which basically = GTFO, NOW.

It will be up to the State Department to declare individuals PNG.

Just based on the video, I'm not sure State has enough to ID each individual who was involved and whether they are US citizens or not.

The video doesn't show the whole protest, just a bunch of folks crossing the street and the tussle begins. Some of the pro-Erdogan suits might actually be US citizens, in which case, they can't be PNG'd.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post