SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weed Wacker/String Trimmer Line Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weed Wacker/String Trimmer Line Question Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I bought a Kobalt 24v cordless string trimmer a few weeks ago and have been very impressed with the power this thing has and how good it cuts. Replaced a crappy B&D 35v that was like a toy in comparison and used expensive proprietary string reels that never seemed to last long.

My trimmer line just ran out and I need to replace it and this model lets you wind your own. I need to to be .080" and "triangle shaped" whatever that means? T thought this stuff was just really fat mono fishing line type material?

Are there better brands than others? What would you all recommend?

Thanks!

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There are several pro lawn care guys on YouTube who have reviews of exactly what you are asking.

I like George Packard, Family Lawn, he has a lot of this
Just go to YouTube and search “best lawn string trimmer line” and you’ll find good info.

Maybe our member Mark123 might chime in with his advice.

Here’s George: he’s referencing a different size but you could search that brand and see if it’s offered in your size. Good luck to you.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ACGARYVU7NU

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Why triangle? I prefer Oregon Gatorline myself. Started using it when I cut commercial properties in TN years ago.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The best string I have ever used is HUSQVARNA TITANIUM from Lowes. I'll definitely repurchase when this spool runs out. The .080" is going to be the OEM diameter but I wouldn't get to excited about the triangular shape, etc....I've used that kind and didn't notice any difference except in my wallet.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Great timing for this question as I don't care for the line I've been using. That Rotary line looks pretty good and you can get it on Amazon.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
There are several pro lawn care guys on YouTube who have reviews of exactly what you are asking.

I like George Packard, Family Lawn, he has a lot of this
Just go to YouTube and search “best lawn string trimmer line” and you’ll find good info.

Maybe our member Mark123 might chime in with his advice.

Here’s George: he’s referencing a different size but you could search that brand and see if it’s offered in your size. Good luck to you.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ACGARYVU7NU

I’m pretty sure this is the stuff that came in my new echo trimmer. It is the best I’ve used also. I’d recommend it if they have your size.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Why triangle? I prefer Oregon Gatorline myself. Started using it when I cut commercial properties in TN years ago.

Possibly uses one of this no bump autofeeding cartridges and that works the best for that model.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
HUSQVARNA TITANIUM

^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've been using Shakespeare Ugly Line for the past three years. I've been sticking with the .095" line as the .105" seems to toss a whole lot more rocks. I switched from Husqvarna Titanium Force but that's fine as well.

For cut quality, I don't think there's much difference between the styles or brands. For longevity it only matters if you have one of those whacker heads that you have to load two pieces of line into it thirty times every minute. In that case, replace the head with an Echo Speed Feed if it's compatible.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I've been using Shakespeare Ugly Line for the past three years. I've been sticking with the .095" line as the .105" seems to toss a whole lot more rocks. I switched from Husqvarna Titanium Force but that's fine as well.
This the same stuff you're using? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shake...Trimmer-Line/4376273 How does it hold up to chain link fencing? I've got a bunch of it and it plays havoc on the line I'm using now.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I started using SPEED PRO trimmer line from HD this season after buying a new battery trimmer. It’s been good. Cuts well and I don’t feel I use any more than other brands inexpensive brands I’ve tried. Usually I buy whatever is least expensive. It actually does give a better cut than than the cheaper stuff I’ve used. I have a small yard, 1/4 acre. So around the house slab, driveway and sidewalk.

I bought the 40v Kobalt straight shaft trimmer this year. Replaced a well used long used Weed Eater 2stroke. Wanted to try out battery power and be done with mixing. I am not missing the fuel mix. I can do my complete yard and still have half battery life. Mine has a 1 or 2 power setting. 1 is enough but I have used 2 at times just because. I had tried a Ryobi 18v a couple of years ago to go with my other Ryobi tools. That thing was week and didnt last. Returned it and went back to gas/mix. But this 40v is awesome. So if your 24v seems not enough definitely try the 40v.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You need to walk into any of your local farm & Garden stores and spend some time studying the trimmer lines. The width, angle of the cut, etc., will make sense once you study it.

I prefer the maximum width and I guess you would call it a hexagonal cut pattern. The more aggressive cut the better as far as I am concerned.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna titanium trimmer line, Oregon trimmer line. SPEED PRO trimmer line from HD all work well just get the round stuff not the multi edge stuff. The multi edge stuff is just a marketing gimmick.

There are a number of youtube videos that demonstrate only the round trimmer line runs near straight when cutting. The multi edge stuff does NOT run near straight when cutting it is all over the place.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Husqvarna titanium trimmer line, Oregon trimmer line. SPEED PRO trimmer line from HD all work well just get the round stuff not the multi edge stuff. The multi edge stuff is just a marketing gimmick.

There are a number of youtube videos that demonstrate only the round trimmer line runs near straight when cutting. The multi edge stuff does NOT run near straight when cutting it is all over the place.
Running straight is a marketing gimmick, too. No line runs straight when you're bouncing it off of a sidewalk. I prefer a little bit more give to make the cut a little scooped on the edge.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Mark123 I was actually having issues with non round line leaving a pronounced hump on some types of cuts. I could not stand the look. Perhaps it's just an OCD issue on my part, don't know. All I know is the hump goes away for me with round line. You might check this out.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

For cut quality, I don't think there's much difference between the styles or brands. For longevity it only matters if you have one of those whacker heads that you have to load two pieces of line into it thirty times every minute. In that case, replace the head with an Echo Speed Feed if it's compatible.

I've used the same Ugly Line in my Stihl, don't recall which thickness, was what was available at H-D when I was there for something else.
Last spool I had must've had a bad batch in it, multiple string failures over & over, always the same side, would just snap off while trimming just grass. No rocks, curbs, posts, etc.
We'll see if this new spool does better.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark123 I was actually having issues with non round line leaving a pronounced hump on some types of cuts. I could not stand the look. Perhaps it's just an OCD issue on my part, don't know. All I know is the hump goes away for me with round line. You might check this out.

I'll check it out. I run a straight shaft (SRM-280) so that may have something to do with me not really noticing much difference.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'll check it out. I run a straight shaft (SRM-280) so that may have something to do with me not really noticing much difference.
Can you comment on how good the ugly line is on chain link.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

Can you comment on how good the ugly line is on chain link.
I generally don't take fenced areas at work. I only have about a total of 8' of chain link fence. I can't really offer an opinion.

posted Hide Post
This DeWalt line holds up and feeds really well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DE...-DWO1DT802/205940434

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post