SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car detailing - Restoring black plastic running boards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car detailing - Restoring black plastic running boards Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I use rattle can bed liner, but you may not want to do that on such a new vehicle. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chemical guys has been my go to for detailing products.
Yes sometimes a bit pricey, but quality and duration have been worth it.
Plenty of videos on their websight to achieve the results you desire.
I find better results with higher end products. Have not been disappointed with chemical guys products.
For a quick middle of the road detailer I use griots.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the question OP.

Bigdeal- I use Wolfgang stuff almost exclusively and had never seen that stuff- THANKS!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Penetrol available at Lowes or Home Depot in the painting section (its not a paint) worked fantastic on my old Wrangler’s faded fender flares and bumper guards. Lasted for months after.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
Chemical guys has been my go to for detailing products.
Yes sometimes a bit pricey, but quality and duration have been worth it.
Plenty of videos on their websight to achieve the results you desire.
I find better results with higher end products. Have not been disappointed with chemical guys products.
For a quick middle of the road detailer I use griots.
Chemical Guys make some good stuff. I have an use a number of their products. One of my favorites is Speed Wipe. It's the best quick detail product I've used to date, and not too pricey.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I've had good results with Mother's Back To Black.
Not a bad consumer grade product, but it lacks the longevity of some of the better protectants.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've had terrible results from back-to-black.

I've had good results with 303, but the best has been using this product:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and then keeping 303 on it every month or two. Keeps plastics looking like new. I do not have experience restoring from a severe damage though.

I used to rub corrosionX on plastics, and it gave results similar to back-to-black, and even lasted a bit longer....but nothing like the trinova product and 303.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Wolfgang stuff and put it on today. The running boards went from a very light gray to a very dark gray. Considering where it started, I was rather happy with the result. Thanks!

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
quick, easy, cheap... buy a bottle of peanut oil and apply with a rag. Let sit, wash off if desired.

You can even use peanut butter but that would definitely need to be wiped off when done.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learned some good info in this thread, thanks guys.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post