SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car detailing - Restoring black plastic running boards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car detailing - Restoring black plastic running boards Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I have a 2015 Suburban and the black plastic running boards are now more of a gray. I would like to bring them back to a black. I want the method to be easy. I do not want to paint them or use other solvents that require me to tape off parts of the car. I do not want to use a heat gun, nor do I own one.

Should I buy one of the various back to black detailing products I see on the market? Should I use peanut butter, as I have seen in multiple videos? Something else I have not seen?

What is going to give me the best result for the least amount of time / work invested?

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
I have a 2015 Suburban and the black plastic running boards are now more of a gray. I would like to bring them back to a black. I want the method to be easy. I do not want to paint them or use other solvents that require me to tape off parts of the car. I do not want to use a heat gun, nor do I own one.

Should I buy one of the various back to black detailing products I see on the market? Should I use peanut butter, as I have seen in multiple videos? Something else I have not seen?

What is going to give me the best result for the least amount of time / work invested?

Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer.

It's a white cream. Wipe on, wipe off.

Keeps my 2012 Subaru, which has black plastic cladding just about everywhere, looking new.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't give a damn about your vehicle, or are going to get rid of it soon, use any of the products noted in that article.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 2015 Suburban and the black plastic running boards are now more of a gray. I would like to bring them back to a black.
First off, a few questions.

1 - How much effort do you want to put in on this?
2 - How long do you intend to keep the vehicle?
3 - How much does it sit outside every day?

And no, peanut butter is not an option, unless you're making a sandwich. Wink

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
What holdem said about Meguiar's but you can't stop using it and what bigdeal said too...that stuff will turn your trim white!

Automotive detail suppliers sell a spray that does the trick and is about twenty dollars a can! We keep it to do our truck trim in...

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5059 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may not get a brand-new look but 303 Protectant is the real deal and works well. I use it on several different UV exposed items. Spa cover, kids play things that sit outside, paddleboard, etc. Very handy stuff.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goingbroke:
Automotive detail suppliers sell a spray that does the trick and is about twenty dollars a can! We keep it to do our truck trim in...
Would love to know the name of that product. Some of the wholesale detailing suppiers around here sell a couple products for black trim, but its almost pure silicone which is a no no for trim over time.
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
You may not get a brand-new look but 303 Protectant is the real deal and works well. I use it on several different UV exposed items. Spa cover, kids play things that sit outside, paddleboard, etc. Very handy stuff.
303 is an excellent product if....

1 - You use it consistently from day one.
2 - You apply it frequently as it will wash away with exposure to rain and washing.

Personally, I think the best use of this product is on interior trim.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

1 - Not a whole lot. Buy the stuff at the store, spend 10 or 20 minutes on the process. If I have to re-do occasionally, so be it.

2 - A long time. I kept my 2007 Suburban for 11 years and 280,000 miles.

3 - All day, every day, in the Florida sun.

If I can easily make it look better, without spending more than $20-$30, I am willing to do it.

If there is a process that requires me to spend a few hours on it, well then, I would probably just leave it as is.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

1 - Not a whole lot. Buy the stuff at the store, spend 10 or 20 minutes on the process. If I have to re-do occasionally, so be it.

If I can easily make it look better, without spending more than $20-$30, I am willing to do it.

If there is a process that requires me to spend a few hours on it, well then, I would probably just leave it as is.
That said, here's what I'd recommend.

Step 1 - Cleaning

Wash the truck completely with a good car wash product, then scrub the trim parts with a scrub brush and a Dawn dishwashing soap and water mixture. Try and keep this off the paint as much as possible given it will remove most waxes. You need to get any/all residual product off the trim before treating it.

Step 2 - Dry

Wipe the truck down and make sure all the trim is totally dry before proceeding.

Step 3 - Treat/Protect

Get some of this Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and follow the application instructions. Its not hard to apply, but there are a couple do's and don'ts. If your trim is really bad, you might need to apply two coats 24 hours apart.

If you do it right, you'll get a nice satin black, kind of OEM look to the trim that will last even in the Florida sun for 3-5 months. With the rain and sun here, most products will be gone in 30 days.

Feel free to email me if you have additional questions and I'll do my best to address them. Smile

posted Hide Post
New Wipe, the stuff works. My 4th gen 4Runner has the plastic cladding across the lower 1/4 of the body. Was skeptical and tried a small area, instant success. Did all the trim and it looked fantastic up until the time I sold it a couple of years later. Stuff is potent, use outdoors and wear gloves.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Baby oil is all need.

Posts: 1552 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't used it, but a friend has, Wipe New. He did his trim last summer and it still looks good.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
This stuff:https://www.pigspit.com/product/pig-spit-original-case/

Pig Spit is the stuff that dreams are made of.....ok, so I'm exaggerating a bit.

I've sold this product at Harley dealerships since the early 2000's. Like it says, it can be used on metal, plastic, tires (use on a rag and watch the tread area though).

I've used it on my Wrangler's plastic parts, Harley painted engine cases, on a 67 Pontiac with the eight lug drums as a fast touch up. Basically anything painted or plastic.

It is a non oily substance so it will not attract fuzzies from Cottonwoods, weeds, dust.

Many motorcycle shops have it and it is available on Amazon too.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That said, here's what I'd recommend.

Step 1 - Cleaning

Wash the truck completely with a good car wash product, then scrub the trim parts with a scrub brush and a Dawn dishwashing soap and water mixture. Try and keep this off the paint as much as possible given it will remove most waxes. You need to get any/all residual product off the trim before treating it.

Step 2 - Dry

Wipe the truck down and make sure all the trim is totally dry before proceeding.

Step 3 - Treat/Protect

Get some of this Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and follow the application instructions. Its not hard to apply, but there are a couple do's and don'ts. If your trim is really bad, you might need to apply two coats 24 hours apart.

If you do it right, you'll get a nice satin black, kind of OEM look to the trim that will last even in the Florida sun for 3-5 months. With the rain and sun here, most products will be gone in 30 days.

Feel free to email me if you have additional questions and I'll do my best to address them. Smile

Thanks for the tip. I know you take this seriously, and, even better, know what you are talking about.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This stuff sounds way to complicated, just buy a new car, way easier.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
The Wipe New works as well as anything I have tried. It will outlast the 303 protectant when exposed to the elements.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of the Wolfgang product Bigdeal mentioned

It says it’s a 90 day product but with 2 coats I’m getting 6-9mths protection in LA sun. (I started using it when my truck was new)

A little bit goes a LONG way. Definitely remove the excess as direction state

To add to the process bigdeal said... I also use my leaf blower to dry my truck after final rinse and chamois or thick microfiber. I have a very high mineral content in the water and the forced air makes sure anything that may drip out is blown out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with Mother's Back To Black.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If it’s plastic try and heat gun. Worked wonders on my Xterra. Look at the side I used the heat gun on compared to the side I hadn’t done yet. The heat gun doesn’t have to be redone. You are basically heating the top layer back to the original color. It can last years. Just throw on some trim protectant after you’re done.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post