SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cool things I'm only learning now ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool things I'm only learning now ... Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
1] *#06# brings up IMEI and MEID numbers on my phone screen.

2] Sprint and Verizon operate under the CDMA network (AT&T and T-Mobile fall under the GSM network). So if I can talk my m.i.l. into upgrading, her iPhone8 will work for me. Both use Nano-SIM and Sprint should be able to activate the new phone to my number.

Last week my SE went bonkers; the power button became unresponsive; I had another SE with 100% battery in the "electronics-in-waiting" drawer; after the SIM was squared away, I was amazed to have a "new" fully-operating cloned phone. iCloud backup was flawless.

Welcome to 1999, Woodman.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Wut?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8522 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
2] Sprint and Verizon operate under the CDMA network (AT&T and T-Mobile fall under the GSM network). So if I can talk my m.i.l. into upgrading, her iPhone8 will work for me. Both use Nano-SIM and Sprint should be able to activate the new phone to my number.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your info is out of date. Big Grin

Verizon hasn't sold CDMA devices for a while and won't activate then if you find one. I'm not sure whether it has actually happened or not, but they planned to have completely shut down their legacy CDMA network by now.

Everything is LTE now.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your info is out of date. Big Grin
Oh. That is why my phone never rings and cannot call out. Big Grin

The moral of the story: Stuff you do not yet know, you really don't need.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just for clarity, Woodman, your Mom's Verizon iPhone 8 will still work on your Sprint plan (and vice versa).

Even though Verizon no longer sells CDMA phones and will no longer activate CDMA phones...that iPhone 8 has both the CDMA and LTE antennas. So, whatever Sprint or Verizon may currently be using, the iPhone 8 from either carrier will work. A Verizon or Sprint iPhone 8 actually has all three antennas (GSM/CDMA/LTE) and will pretty much work on any network.

The only backward compatibility issue you will find is with a GSM/LTE phone (T-Mobile and ATT) moving over to Verizon and Sprint AND where Verizon and Sprint does not yet have LTE. I doubt you will ever encounter this situation, but it's possible.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Verify that your phone is unlocked. Your 8 and SE are quad band. Not all phones are. Some phones gets lost in the 850 / 900 changeover.

I have an old Nokia from Germany that not only shows the band that it is receiving from the towers, it shows all of the carriers and the signal strength for each. Some manufacturers have dual SIM phones so you won't have to keep two of them.

Hearing that the T-mobile signal is being turned off soon. They are bing converted to the Sprint network without the Sprint name. A legacy from the Southern Pacific Railroad.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
OK, the "new" iPhone is operating perfectly. Now I need a backup. And learned another new thing.

https://sndeep.info/en will tell me the age of an iPhone. My current is 4 years 1 month and the battery is 100%. Some of the phones offered on swappa are listed as "mint" but have batteries in the 70%-80% health.

An iPhone7 has my eye. 32GB would be double my current 16GB. Hate having to limit applications or Libby audiobooks ...