SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disturbing survey finds trash, needles, feces littering streets of San Francisco
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disturbing survey finds trash, needles, feces littering streets of San Francisco Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
disgusting.

inspector callahan would not approve.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It took Democrats to make a beautiful first-rate, first-world city into a third-world shithole, go figure.

Laura Ingraham did a great job on her radio show yesterday eviscerating all the left wing loons both on the SF city council and in the mayor's office, as well as the rich lefties who want to welcome the homeless / illegals as long as its not in their neighborhoods.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
A Quinn Martin production.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Why Is There So Much Human Shit on the Streets?

Shitty article.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There was a time when I thought just lowering their "benefits" a little and using the money to build a bunch of public toilets would be good. They outdid me by paying the same benefits and turning the entire place into a toilet. Kind of interesting. My ugly vision was that it was the lack of public facilities contributed the problem.

I still think it does because there are too many needing to take a shit and no place for them to do that. Worse, no one would let the "needy" use their home or business for that necessary function. So kind of back to basics, if you were there, eventually you'd need to vacate you bowels or bladder. Its going to happen regardless of your best efforts to contain it. Keep in mind its not a voluntary decision. Those of us with nice warm and private homes can't really envision having to go and there is no place that suits us. You know, the sigforum dwellers who all have toilets or private trees to use. Personally, I have my choice of 3 bath rooms and would still rather take a leak behind a tree. Frown

And just for perspective here, I live on a corner. Its a 3 street intersection, with me on one leg of the "T". No one can really walk on the other side of the street. On the corner opposite me is a city supplied garbage can. We have a significant amount of foot traffic.

Many of those walkers are coming out of town with food or a drink. We even have the scourge of humanity right in town, a McDonald's. It sells up an unbelievable quantity of soft drinks. But as they come up the road, the drink is nearing empty. If they could just carry it another hundred feet or so, they could deposit it in the garbage can. But its not to be. The instant they take the last drink, it gets jettisoned. On my lawn or out in the road. The timing isn't unique to my lawn. Some get supersize drinks and make it up the road and around the next bend. Some only get medium drinks and pitch them down the road near town.

The point is they can't be burdened with carrying them another house or two. I think its the same situation in SF, but only on a grander scale. Maybe our conservative population hasn't reached the level of liberalism to allow our private parts to be seen by everyone engaged in the function they do best. It certainly doesn't deter the geese from it, or the occasional "pack" of dogs trotting alone. Only mankind is shocked at seeing someone else empty their bladder or bowels in public. Surely cattle or horses aren't bothered by it.

I'm not smart enough to decide if those other groups are ahead or behind us.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Why is this stuff tolerated, even by bleeding heart libs?

They encourage it. In their worldview those among us who can't or won't take care of themselves shouldn't be forced into shelters or treatment or forced on medication. To punish those defiling public spaces with bodily fluids or the tools of their addiction is to criminalize their plight. It's far more compassionate to let people rot on the street than to force them into places where they would receive care, ya see?

There's a homeless industrial complex made up of do gooders flush with important sounding titles and a mix of public and private money attempting to think their way out of this situation. If the problem gets taken care of so do their plush six figure jobs chairing commissions and outreach groups. This isn't to say that the low paid folks actually doing the work on the street aren't trying their damnedest but there are a ton of suits up top who want to feel important. The perfect remains the enemy of the good.

In 2016 SF spent $241 million, yes, that's right, almost a quarter of a billion dollars, on the homeless. The money went to support the currently homeless and to keep some formerly homeless in some kind of housing. That's over 400 contracts with 75+ organizations and yet it costs more every year and the problem gets worse. It's almost as if coddling folks and doing nothing to discourage aberrant behavior encourages more of the same.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I left The Shitty (good one, kkina!) in 2010 after living there for some 8 years. My number one complaint: how dirty it was.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16346 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Seattle had its own, epic public toilet fiasco. In 2003 the bought 5 self cleaning toilets for 5 million dollars. "only to have the units become refuges for drug use, prostitution and hanky-panky. They were sold on eBay in 2008 for $2,500 each." Recall a local TV station hung around one and watched two men and a women enter. Sometime later they came out but refused to say anything. The city gave up after a couple of years, paid off the contract and quit.
Supposedly the interior was automaticly washed once a day but discarded trash blocked the drains. The doors automatically locked for 20 minute so prostitutes had a field day. Pretty soon the outside doors became dented as those waiting beat on then to get in.
Yes a wonderful liberal city Seattle.
https://gizmodo.com/5026332/se...ow-available-on-ebay
https://www.seattletimes.com/s...lets-sold-for-12000/
https://www.seattletimes.com/s...public-toilet-quest/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It was a shithole when I was there in the 70's going to and from Southeast Asia. It was still a shithole when I was stationed out there in 2000 and 2005. So nothing has changed.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Used Needles Littering San Francisco Streets As Heroin Crisis Grips NorCal

San Francisco residents are complaining about a record number of used and discarded syringes littering the streets, as a growing heroin epidemic grips Northern California.

The city distributes nearly 5 million needles each year through various programs aimed at reducing HIV and other health risks for drug users who might otherwise share needles.

The city distributes an estimated 400,000 syringes each month through various programs aimed at reducing HIV and other health risks for drug users. About 246,000 syringes are discarded through the city's 13 syringe access and disposal sites. But thousands of the others end up on streets, in parks and other public areas... -AP

While syringes discarded in public areas have become a nationwide problem amid a growing opium crisis, the problem in population-dense San Francisco (about 50 square miles) is much more noticeable given the city's growing homeless population. Last year there were 9,500 requests by residents for needle pick-ups by the city. So far this year, there have been 3,700 requests.

Despite the needles strewn around the city, San Francisco officials have no plans to change their needle program.

“Research shows that reducing access to clean syringes increases disease and does not improve the problem of needle litter,” said Barbara Garcia, director of the Department of Public Health.

In response to the problem, Mayor Mark Farrell has hired 10 workers to go around the city picking up needles.

Meanwhile to the north, the coastal town of Eureka has been hit hard by the heroin epidemic which has spread throughout California's rural north.
Trending Articles
MH370 Solved? Experts Call It Suicide And "Premeditated…

While there has been no official government explanation to the MH370 flight mystery that dominated the news for months…

While the state as a whole has one of the lowest overall opioid-related death rates in the country, a sharp rise in heroin use across the rural north in recent years has raised alarms. In Humboldt County, the opioid death rate is five times higher than the state average, rivaling the rates of states like Maine and Vermont that have received far more national attention. -NY Times

Eureka, with its sizeable homeless population, lack of affordable housing and a "changing, weakened economy that relies heavily on tourism" has been hit particularly hard.

Intravenous drug use has been a persistent menace across rural California for decades, but longtime drug users who once sought methamphetamine — which is also often injected — are increasingly looking to score heroin or opioid pills instead. An astonishingly high rate of opioid prescription in Humboldt County has bred addiction, officials said, and the craving is increasingly sated by a growing market for heroin. -NYT

“I’ve lost so many people to this,” said 46-year-old Stacy Cobine, a chronically homeless woman who has struggled with drug abuse.

While Meth is still the drug of choice in Humboldt, Chief Deputy Coroner at the County Sheriff's Department, Ernie Stewart, says he is certain that the county's heroin-related overdoses are "way underreported," and that meth and heroin abuse is affecting every type of person locally - not just the homeless.

And with such heavy use of opioids comes the trash...

With the sharp increases in use and overdoses, syringe litter has become a significant flash point for the town’s middle-class residents, particularly because tourism is so important for Eureka and the surrounding region. The town’s homeless have borne the brunt of the blame and frustration. Many Eurekans described various shocking experiences, including witnessing injections on public streets. They worry that discarded syringes could threaten children and tourists playing in the area’s parks. -NYT

Like San Francisco, Humboldt distributes clean needles to drug users through the Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction. Many residents blame the organization, founded in 2014 to combat the spread of hepatitis C, for the proliferation of needle litter. The exchange has given out close to one million clean syringes since 2017, while founder Brandie Wilson says her group gets around 94% of the used needles back.

“Our Hep C and mental health and drug use and homeless and opioid use issues, all of those are so intertwined with being rural, and with a culture of silence,” she said. “No matter where I looked, there was no help. There was no help.”

Another factor which many point to is the break-up of a major homeless encampment by Humboldt officials.

The needle litter problem intensified two years ago when the town removed a homeless encampment along the Palco Marsh where somewhere between 250 and 400 homeless people had been sleeping.

City officials and health service workers had encouraged the town’s large homeless population for years to go there. The tent city, which was colloquially called Devil’s Playground, provided a place to sleep and to linger during the day, but it also saw severely unsanitary health conditions and, at times, violence. In 2016, the town decided to clear the camp to install a bike path along the water, and did not allow a new camp anywhere else. -NYT

And while Humboldt County does what it can, many are pointing a finger at the state of California for not taking enough action.

“The state is failing miserably, and you can quote me on that,” said Mr. Stewart, the deputy coroner. “The state is failing miserably across the board. They are not putting enough funding and resources toward rehabilitation.”

Mike McGuire, who represents several Northern California counties including Humboldt in the State Senate, said that government leaders needed to be more proactive about expanding resources in rural parts of the state. He said rural Californians are “desperate” for more assistance.

“Humboldt County is just a few hours up Highway 101,” he said, “but as an individual travels further north on the highway, it’s like you take a step back in time. We need to step up to the plate and provide rural counties with the tools they need to combat this crisis.”

“We’re just trying to figure out how to keep people alive while we wait for more treatment up here,” said Wilson.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...-crisis-grips-norcal

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Despite the needles strewn around the city, San Francisco officials have no plans to change their needle program.
That's the spirit, you leftist dolts.

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I did hear a fellow sing a few bars of "I left my poop in San Francisco, high on a hill, it calls to me. . . . "

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So this is a pretty closely related discussion about San Francisco and taking their sanctuary city nonsense to a san-francisco-level.

Angela Alioto, daughter of former mayor, Joseph Alioto, is a candidate for mayor. She’s a dyed in the wool leftist, but she reached her limit when dangerous felons started to be protected.

Tucker Carlson Interview

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
My ugly vision was that it was the lack of public facilities contributed the problem.

No problem! All of the Starbucks are public facilities now! Problem solved.

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
So this is a pretty closely related discussion about San Francisco and taking their sanctuary city nonsense to a san-francisco-level.

Angela Alioto, daughter of former mayor, Joseph Alioto, is a candidate for mayor. She’s a dyed in the wool leftist, but she reached her limit when dangerous felons started to be protected.

Tucker Carlson Interview

Saw that last night. It's amazing to see how bad things have gotten when she now occupies some "reasonable" middle ground.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We lived out there in the late 80's enjoyed the city and area, like every large city back then you had areas that "normal" folks didn't go, the Tenderloin for example, if you wanted to see turds on the sidewalk, needles in gutter, buildings in disrepair, it was there for the most part and somewhat contained.

With the explosion of property values the lower income and poor areas of the city are being converted, gentrified, whatever, so the problems are being pushed out into the open and its all over the city not just in a few poor areas.

Theres no room for new developments that haven't already been developed in San Francisco and like rburg says, people have to go, regardless of social statue it just may be different where you go, not that you have to take a dump.

Just an observation of what may be pushing this into the forefront...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Record Number Of STDs Diagnosed In California In 2017

California's got everything -- and we do mean everything. But be careful, it's all highly contagious.

The most liberal state in the nation had more than 300,000 cases of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis diagnosed in 2017. That's a 45% jump in just five years, and the numbers set a new record.

The 75,750 cases of gonorrhea reported in 2017 was the highest since 1988, the California Department of Public Health said in a yearly report released Monday. The 13,605 cases of "early syphilis" was also the highest since 1987. "Female case increased nearly 7-fold from less than 250 early syphilis cases reported in 2012," the report said.

The numbers are deadly, too.

There were 278 congenital syphilis cases -- including 30 stillbirths -- in 2017, an increase of 30% from 2016. "30 stillbirths were nearly three times the number in 2016. Congenital syphilis burden of this magnitude last observed in 1995, over 20 years ago," said the report. Congenital syphilis is an infection transmitted from mother to child during pregnancy or delivery.

The 218,710 chlamydia cases reported in 2017 was also the highest number since reporting began in 1990, the report found.

"The statistics show chlamydia and gonorrhea rates were highest among those under age 30. Young women made up the majority of chlamydia cases; men accounted for the majority of syphilis and gonorrhea cases," the report said.

STDs can cause a number of serious health problems. If left untreated, chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and lead to infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and chronic pelvic pain. Syphilis can cause permanent loss of vision, hearing and other neurologic problems.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea rates are highest among people under age 30. Rates of chlamydia are highest among young women, and males account for the majority of syphilis and gonorrhea cases.

"STDs are preventable by consistently using condoms, and many STDs can be cured with antibiotics," said CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith. "Regular testing and treatment are very important for people who are sexually active, even for people who have no symptoms. Most people infected with an STD do not know it."

https://www.dailywire.com/news...nia-2017-joseph-curl

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The only way to solve this problem is to address why these people are on the street. Society will not face that so this problem will persist.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post