SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2021 F-150's diesel available and 7.2 kw generator built in available
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 F-150's diesel available and 7.2 kw generator built in available Login/Join 
posted
I'm not in the market for an F-150 but read somewhere they can come with a built in generator or AC power pack (it's really an inverter that uses the engine. Also noticed you can get a 3 liter diesel engine. But you can get either a 2.4 KW or 7.2 KW generator or power pack and it starts and stops the truck engine as needed to keep the batteries charged and the 7.2 KW option is only a $750 option.....amazing the new technology.

Fixed it, it's only a $750 option

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I saw a video a day or 2 ago about a Ford pickup using some sort of powerwall, or something like that, to power their Austin Texas home during the power outage. I can't find that video now but I found this video from 3 months ago. This new Ford F150 can provide 7,200 watts of electric power.

This guy's video rambles on about the other features of the pickup, but you'll just have to watch it to see the parts about the electric power generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PrEtpFYZy8

I'm not much of a Ford guy but this might tempt me to buy one. Living in tornado country and possibly losing power this would be an awesome vehicle to have.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
You can only get the 7.2Kw generator/inverter with the 3.5 Liter Powerboost Hybrid powertrain.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
You can only get the 7.2Kw generator/inverter with the 3.5 Liter Powerboost Hybrid powertrain.

AND the 3.0 liter diesel 7.2KW is an option. The 2.4 kw with everything else except the 2.5L engine the 2.0 kw is only available.

posted Hide Post
and this makes any since because? Around here (maybe not in TX right now) the going rate for a top of the line 7KW invertor generator run by gasoline is 1/3 of the option price and you can get 2 12KW (not inverter since they don't yet do that big) ones for the same money. I don't get why this is anything to be excited about?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
AND the 3.0 liter diesel 7.2KW is an option.

No, it isn't. See below. I configured an F-150 with the 3.0 Diesel, then added the 7.2kw pro power and it requires you to change to the Hybrid Powertrain.

Adding:
7.2kW – Pro Power Onboard also requires the following changes
Add
3.5L PowerBoost™ Full Hybrid V6

Remove
3.0L 4 Valve DOHC Power Stroke® V6 Turbo Diesel B20 with Auto Start-Stop Technology

$750Net Price Change
Do you want to continue?
No Yes
quote:

Still don't believe me. See the below article.

https://www.torquenews.com/953...21-ford-f-150-hybrid

quote:
With three various generators available on the 2021 Ford F-150, the 7.2-kW generator is only available on the 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. The wife and I would really like to replace her Explorer with an F-150 but we are waiting till at least 2022 so they can work any bugs out. We've been watching the F-150 news very closely.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
and this makes any since because? Around here (maybe not in TX right now) the going rate for a top of the line 7KW invertor generator run by gasoline is 1/3 of the option price and you can get 2 12KW (not inverter since they don't yet do that big) ones for the same money. I don't get why this is anything to be excited about?

Because the engine of the F150 is much much quieter than any gas generator. Also with the fuel tank of the vehicle full, it will run for days. For a $700 option it's hardly more than a portable generator and engine cycles on and off as needed to keep the batteries charged, depending on electrical load. Plus you have 7.2kw of A/C power with you anywhere you drive, so like on a job site or etc.....Need to stay with an elderly relative during a hurricane etc that doesn't have a generator etc..... So if you have multiple homes or are traveling and the power goes out, just plug some extension cords into the bed of the pickup and voila. Would be good here in Florida for hurricane season. It's nice to have 7.2 kw of AC power without having another piece of equipment to maintain, to store, no fuel to worry about going bad in the gen, etc., Can stop by a friends/family after a hurricane when we don't have power for 2-3 weeks and get their refrigerator cold again.....Or tow a travel trailer, and have the ability to pull over and spend the night anywhere and have full electricity in the travel trailer.....for a/c, cooking, etc.

sigarms229- You are correct. For some reason on the Ford site it shows the 7.2 kw as an option on the build with the diesel engine, same as 2.4 kw but then after you click on the option it tells you that you need the hybrid. On the lesser trucks like the 2.5L, it doesn't even show those 2 as an option, only the 2kw.

posted Hide Post
I haven't really studied it as its not a truck that I would buy (I need more towing so do F350's). But don't you need the hybrid version (+2500-4500) before you can get the 7.2kw? And then you are running your $50-60K truck when you could be wearing out your $2-4K generator, which if it is an inverter one will be pretty darn quiet and actually probably quieter than the truck. And which you can leave at your relatives house while you go do something else. If I was buying that hybrid truck for some other reason then yup the upgrade seems like a bargain. If I wasn't then getting it doesn't seem very cost effective for that specific feature. But I may have the costs wrong as the ford configurator seems offline at the moment in which case it may be different logic.
Edit... the data I saw show 32hrs of runtime just FWIW. maybe that's not current either.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't really studied it as its not a truck that I would buy (I need more towing so do F350's). But don't you need the hybrid version (+2500-4500) before you can get the 7.2kw? And then you are running your $50-60K truck when you could be wearing out your $2-4K generator, which if it is an inverter one will be pretty darn quiet and actually probably quieter than the truck. And which you can leave at your relatives house while you go do something else. If I was buying that hybrid truck for some other reason then yup the upgrade seems like a bargain. If I wasn't then getting it doesn't seem very cost effective for that specific feature. But I may have the costs wrong as the ford configurator seems offline at the moment in which case it may be different logic.
Edit... the data I saw show 32hrs of runtime just FWIW. maybe that's not current either.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, but really cool technology nonetheless that will transfer over to other pick ups and so forth. I can see where it fills a void for some people. All pickups are hellified expensive compared to 10 years ago.

I also thought it was cool to finally see a diesel in a F-150.......

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Think they intended this more for a farm or job site?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
A couple of points. This is a great option for those who like to boondock in warmer areas and can fire up their AC without having to lug around an additional piece of equipment.

Secondly Ford is asking it’s dealers in TX to loan out their F-150’s with the generators to those still without power. Way to go Ford..

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/...winter-storm-outage/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
In the OPs post, he says it's only a $7000 option, but it's stated later that it's $700.

If $700, I'd consider. Only available with the gas motor because you would foul up the emissions bullshit on that mini powerstroke in a hurry if run for any extended time.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I mean who doesn’t want a 7.2kW generator powered by a 400hp twin turbocharged 3.5l V6? Ford went to the Tim "The Tool Man” Taylor School of Industrial Design.

I own six generators from 2kW to 22kW and I’m having trouble coming up with a way to use this.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree. The Austin article that I read had a bunch of people commenting that they were going to buy one. Really? You're going to buy a $65k+ vehicle because it has a generator that you can buy for $1k.

If you're already in the market for a truck and this pushes you over then ok I get it but otherwise, seriously. Besides there are several other brand of trucks that have had this available for years and RV's have had this for dozens of years so lets not act like it's some new miraculous technology.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
I agree. The Austin article that I read had a bunch of people commenting that they were going to buy one. Really? You're going to buy a $65k+ vehicle because it has a generator that you can buy for $1k.

If you're already in the market for a truck and this pushes you over then ok I get it but otherwise, seriously. Besides there are several other brand of trucks that have had this available for years and RV's have had this for dozens of years so lets not act like it's some new miraculous technology.

The only way I see how it works is if you're in the market for a truck anyways. For $750 you get a 7.2 KW generator.....which could come into handy for anyone. Is super quiet compared to a portable generator, doesn't need to be maintained as a seperate unit, has it's own integral (35 gallon) gas tank that you don't have to worry about stabilizing because you're driving the truck normally.....And it's also not taking up space (whether it be in the bed of the truck, or your garage) that a 7kw generator would take up.......more reliable than a portable 7 kw gas generator as well.

I lost power for over 2 weeks in 2017 after a tropical storm, I can stay at a customers house that has a whole house generator but have to wait around 3 days for the roads to be cleared so I can get there......I had to borrow my neighbors generator on day 3 to get my refrigerator going for my refrig/freezer stuff cold enough to transport.....I bought a 2kw generator for that purpose right after. Its been sitting in it's 2'x2'x2' box in my garage ever since taking up space.......

The ones in RV's are seperate generators, that are generally a pain to maintain because they're crammed into a tight space....

I wouldn't go out and buy a pickup because of this, but if I was buying a pickup, it would steer me to this.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Think they intended this more for a farm or job site?

I didn't think the people who actually used pickup trucks for work could afford new pickup trucks.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like an amazing option for anyone in the market for a new truck who doesn’t have a generator...

I don’t have a generator but do have a 2016 F150 in the driveway and also 5 acres of forest land we camp on...if I could afford a new truck right now it would be super handy, even just the 2.4kw version!

But no it doesn’t make sense to buy a truck just for that feature, Im trying to decide between a 3.5 kw inverter or an 1800w solar generator.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind one in a F250 diesel.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes a hybrid to start with. Doesn't exist in Super Duties. Not to worry though if you have money and the right F250 tranny you can get a PTO generator for that. But the odds either of those make any sense if you are not already crazy and are buying an F150 hybrid no matter what. Then I'd pitch in the $750 in a heartbeat.

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
So what's the overall price for said f150?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post