SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People dying from keyless cars left on
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People dying from keyless cars left on Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Some people use a charcoal grill inside...once.

We passed a law. Didn't stop them.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'm thinking we need a new law, one that prohibits people from leaving cars running while parked in an enclosed structure.... and mental health checks, because someone who is depressed might do something rash using these keyless starting systems, a kid could get to it...

I believe it's illegal in Florida to leave an unattended car running anywhere.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it Herschel Walker who pulled his garage several years ago and wanted to finish listening to the remainder of a song and then fell asleep and almost died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

If only he would have had a push button start he could blame his mistake on the car manufacturer.

In reality they could have a disabling device that is similar to the current ones used on airbags. If there isn't at least 50lbs on the drivers front seat the car could shut off in a short predetermined amount of time.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'm thinking we need a new law, one that prohibits people from leaving cars running while parked in an enclosed structure.... and mental health checks, because someone who is depressed might do something rash using these keyless starting systems, a kid could get to it...

Well there you have it, we have a law, ergo, it can't be a problem....

Posts: 23397 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My Corvette has push-button keyless start & stop. You would have to be deaf to not hear it running. It also has automatic door locks when I walk away with a beep of the horn. If the horn doesn't beep, something is wrong.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Same in S.C. I think it is so that you can't tempt a thief....

During the Summer I often leave my work van running with the A.C. on to keep my work companion cool.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
During the Summer I often leave my work van running with the A.C. on to keep my work companion cool.

Need to be careful. When idling with the AC on, vehicles can get too hot and shut the AC off. You wouldn't want your companion to get hot.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And of course they are suing Toyota...

Jesus do we need to sue everyone for everything? Its not a faulty car, it's not Toyota's fault. Tragedy yes, but anything to sue over? No

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Shakespere who had the answer "first, kill all lawyers" Almost all people can come up with some phony heart wretching story where the 'po folkes should be allowed to sue the mega corporation. I even agree with the concept, just not to the perverted length its been taken to. Maybe we should allow the corporations to sue stupid people for damaging their reputations.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I believe it was Shakespere who had the answer "first, kill all lawyers"
Yes, the violent criminals said that's what they'd do if they gained the throne.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My only experience with this includes nearly stranding myself. The car picked up my wife’s key, after dropping her off I somehow realized I had left my key at home. The car ran just fine as I ran my errands but had I shut it off it would have been bad news. I’m also thankful it would not allow me to lock the key in the trunk.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
My only experience with this includes nearly stranding myself. The car picked up my wife’s key, after dropping her off I somehow realized I had left my key at home. The car ran just fine as I ran my errands but had I shut it off it would have been bad news. I’m also thankful it would not allow me to lock the key in the trunk.

What kind of car is it?

I have done the same thing but once the lone key is no longer within the vehicle the dashboard lit up like a Christmas trees and telling you what the problem is.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
And of course they are suing Toyota...

Jesus do we need to sue everyone for everything? Its not a faulty car, it's not Toyota's fault. Tragedy yes, but anything to sue over? No

Unless you are an ambulance-chasing lawyer trying to make an unethical buck or two over incidents like this.

"It's not your parents fault that they were stupid enough to leave the car running and killed themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning. Toyota [inset should have done, this, this or that] and it's their fault your parents died. Let's sue them so I you can make a killing on the settlement and feel better about your deceased parent's stupidity.

Maybe said parents should have read and understood the owner's manual?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'm surprised the second car was able to run for 32 hours straight without overheating and dying on its own.

It was an Avalon. My 06 has 220k miles on it and I think only a rock slide would kill the thing at this point.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

What kind of car is it?

I have done the same thing but once the lone key is no longer within the vehicle the dashboard lit up like a Christmas trees and telling you what the problem is.

It was an '11 Altima. It must have told me because I knew not to kill it. I was afraid muscle memory would make me hit the kill switch.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Another example of the Dominant Entertainment Media Billed As "News" finding another thing over which to throw people into a panic.

The ignition key for my TrailBlazer was clipped to my keyring such that I could remove it. Sure as hell: On two occasions I walked away from that truck, hitting the door locks on the key fob, having left the key in the ignition and the engine running.

But those incidents were outside, in a busy parking lot.

I know modern engines can be pretty quiet, but how the hell do you have a motor vehicle running in a residential garage and not notice it?
I handled a death investigation with 9 people in a family dead from CO after a young man came home from the bar, put the car in the garage, closed the door and went in and went to sleep. No one woke up the next morning. 4 adults and 5 kids, or maybe the other way around, it's been over 20 years.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend has a Highlander. We checked this out the other day. She was running into work to get something. I was driving and she had the key. There was an alarm inside the car once the key was far enough away. It beeped and flashed "Key not detected". Of course, she was already gone. The alarm was useless. What I don't know is if the alarm would happen when the drivers door was opened. Since I was driving only the passenger door opened but the alarm didn't happen until she was away from the car.

I also drove away without the key one time. A friend and I were running to get beer after she and her friend went in the house (we had just come back from dinner so were all in the car). We parked at the Packie and just as I was pushing the button my buddy said, "Do we have the key?" NOOOOOO! LOL. Luckily the girls and key were only a 5 minute walk away.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Previous and current cars were/are keyless, and if you walked away from the cars with the key they shut down after a short time. You could leave your key in the car of course, but the car wouldn't allow you to lock it from the outside so that would be a clue.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Previous and current cars were/are keyless, and if you walked away from the cars with the key they shut down after a short time.

If that were the case, then you wouldn't be able to drive around without the fob. If the fob were to be accidentally thrown from the car or the battery died, it could possibly shut down at highway speeds. The fob transmits the start code. It remains until the ign. bottle is pressed which wipes it out.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Previous and current cars were/are keyless, and if you walked away from the cars with the key they shut down after a short time.

If that were the case, then you wouldn't be able to drive around without the fob. If the fob were to be accidentally thrown from the car or the battery died, it could possibly shut down at highway speeds. The fob transmits the start code. It remains until the ign. bottle is pressed which wipes it out.

That is correct. You can't drive around without the fob. You can't start the car without the fob. You can't lock/unlock the car without the fob (exception is secure phone app which allows both in the event you wish to do either remotely, or check status). Interesting point about dead battery though, although I'm not as concerned about the fob being randomly flung out the window; the fob has a mechanical key to open the door, and the car will recognize the fob even with a dead battery, if it's placed in a particular spot....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post