SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People dying from keyless cars left on
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People dying from keyless cars left on Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I have CO detectors in multiple rooms and the garage, both independent battery powered and alarm panel monitored. You often don't get a second chance with these things.

Also, I am planning on getting monitored smokes and COs installed in the HVAC supply plenums, with the alarm panel set to shut down the HVACs if issues are detected. Any advice on equipment is appreciated.

I have Nest Thermostats and Nest Protect (smoke/carbon monoxide detectors) I have one near my downstairs unit and upstairs. If the carbon monoxide goes off it shuts my systems down.
I don’t have a way to automatically shut off my water heater but I get an alert on all my devices if there is an alert. Plus of course they sound in the house if you are home.
They are not quiet in the least.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
A sad occurrence when it happens, of course. Not a problem with me--my vehicles have a physical key for starting/running and I have to remove them when I get home because my house key is on the same ring. The newer car (2006) does give an alarm if I open the door with the key in the ignition.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
I've been driving keyless cars since 2010. As long as you keep your key in your pocket the car will alarm if you exit if it is running.

Not true for all cars.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can see how it could happen if you got distracted or were diverted.

It seems that an automatic shut down in 15 minutes (or some number) would be wise.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My 2016 Tacoma has this annoying beep if you get out while the engine is running. I get to hear it every time I stop to get the mail.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It seems that an automatic shut down in 15 minutes (or some number) would be wise.

Fun and games until someone's dog dies because the car and AC shutoff on a hot summer day.

Carbon monoxide detectors in the home, good door seals between home and garage with operating door closers, and floor level garage vents, would have prevented this.

If manufacturers want to do something, then an engine cutoff when vehicle interior CO levels reach a certain point might work, presuming the vehicle cycles in air for the outside into its interior.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
I want to be able to lock the car with the keys in the ignition (in my 12 year old pickup, I still have to lock it with the second key I'm carrying.) If I'm stopped at an accident scene, for example, I want to be able to leave the car running.

You can leave a keyless ignition car running while locking the doors as long as the fob is in your pocket.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I know modern engines can be pretty quiet, but how the hell do you have a motor vehicle running in a residential garage and not notice it?”

Loud pipes save lives.

We had a Lexus that was keyless. I thought it was a solution to a non-existent problem.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We had a Lexus that was keyless. I thought it was a solution to a non-existent problem.

That's your Y chromosome talking.

Seriously, for the wimmens it's much more convenient not to have to rummage around in their portable luggage for a key each time and instead just hop in, toss that sack in the seat and hit a button!

In fairness, I have to admit I much prefer not having to get keys in and out of my pockets as well to unlock, start, lock a car. Also don't have cars all scratched up from keys swinging around the dash or (or for us old farts) steering column.

Necessary - no.
A pleasant luxury in our pampered lives - sure!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Fun and games until someone's dog dies because the car and AC shutoff on a hot summer day.

Carbon monoxide detectors in the home, good door seals between home and garage with operating door closers, and floor level garage vents, would have prevented this.

If manufacturers want to do something, then an engine cutoff when vehicle interior CO levels reach a certain point might work, presuming the vehicle cycles in air for the outside into its interior.

Put an override on the engine off feature. Don't leave your dog in the car like that anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My BMW has keyless start. I have sat in it for extended periods working on my laptop while waiting for an appointment outside a customer facility. After a period of time I get a message on the information screen that the car will shut of soon and I must tap the break to avoid the auto shutoff. Seems like a logical feature for this set up, I guess I assumed all keyless start cars would have that feature.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are performing an action; look for a reaction. When I hit the button, the tach drops to zero. If it doesn't, I might need to think.

If I open the door and the sound system keeps on playing, something is way wrong. I probably need to think.

Like I told my kids millions of times, "watch what you are doing". There could be a significant bad outcome.

Then don't come whining to me...

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess if you leave your kid in the car on a summer day you can blame me t on the key fob. If I would have had a key It would register that I am locking my kid in the car because a button doesn’t do it.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Have the CO detector shut off switch sample both interior and exterior levels to protect against external accumulation and/or an exhaust leak into the interior which also sometimes happens.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Our newly minted millennial tech 1 brought a Prius in for a service and neglected to hit the kill switch before putting it in the air. Right after he removed the oil filter the engine started and gave him a nice douching. Many laughs were had at his expense.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
People were dying, and still are, before the keyless systems were here.

It's not the inanimate object. It's the persons neglect that does it.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
My SIL has one. Once she stopped at home to change clothes, left the key in her other pants. The car started cuz the key was still in range. But when she got to downtown Chicago, turned it off and locked it, she was done. Had to go home with a friend and get the key to get her car back. I quit thinking keyless starting was cool that moment.
That's surprising. My wife's Hyundai can tell if the key is inside or outsideof the car, and will not start if the key is outside. Conversely, it will not lock from the outside if the key is inside (you get a loud tone instead). But the person withthe key can get out, and the car will keep running. You just don't be able to start it.

I went toa museum with my cousin, and on our way back to the parking garage, he couldn't find his (old fashioned) keys. We figured he'd locked them is the car. When we got back to it, we discovered the keys inthe ignitionand the engine had been running the whole time. No technology will save us from ourselves.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As mentioned... they make this thing you can put in your house called a Carbon Monoxide detector..... should be installed right with the smoke detector and then hopefully never go off.... but then the same folks that will leave their car running in the garage are probably the same folks that install vent free gas logs in their fireplace for extra heat and can't have the time to read the first part of the instructions that says you have to have a window or door cracked when operating them.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People do striped shit all the time. People do drugs, people smoke, people jump head first into shallow water. Why should we get all exercised about this? Often in our modern world the effects of stupidity are muted or blunted. In the seemingly rare cases where the direct results of stupidity are brutal and final many people seem to take pity on the stupid and try to find someone or something else to lay responsibility on instead of the stupid. There is no effective way to prevent stupid behavior, nor should we try past counseling our young because they can’t help being stupid. All of the protection and mitigating of the damages of stupidity has done nothing more than dramatically increase the amount of stupidity. In some cases if you are lucky enough to be injured while doing something stupid there is a lawyer who can get you a large cash settlement, thus rewarding stupidity. We don’t need smarter cars, we need smarter people who won’t leave them running in the garage.

Posts: 1802 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking we need a new law, one that prohibits people from leaving cars running while parked in an enclosed structure.... and mental health checks, because someone who is depressed might do something rash using these keyless starting systems, a kid could get to it...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post