SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People dying from keyless cars left on
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People dying from keyless cars left on Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
I'm not sure how this is any more related to the cars being keyless vs. keyed, and part of me starts out being less sympathetic to the plight than I probably should be....

Keyless cars left on in garages kill people.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Seems like an easy fix for an auto shutoff if both front seats are unoccupied for more than 5 min or something.

Or just chalked it up to natural selection.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the second car was able to run for 32 hours straight without overheating and dying on its own.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad no one here has ever forgotten anything, ever. Roll Eyes

I only had one push-button start vehicle, a Nissan Altima. The car itself was incredibly quiet...and more than once I did nearly forget to turn it off, or didn't push the button hard enough. The Altima, however, had an 'annoying' but useful feature where a chime would go off if you got out of the car and it was running. The same would happen if you tried to lock the doors with the remote and it was still on. A lot of vehicles don't do that from what I've seen.

I can't say I ever left the thing on in the garage but I could see how it could happen. I'm with the OP though that other than maybe the button not being pressed completely, I don't think this is unique to push-start vehicles...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

I'm with the OP though that other than maybe the button not being pressed completely, I don't think this is unique to push-start vehicles...

I believe it is unique to these vehicles for the simple fact that the "key" for these cars stays in your pocket or handbag and never needs to come out to start the vehicle.

It's very easy to see how this can happen for any number of reasons.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I have enough problems with accidentally pushing the red alarm button on my key-fob when my keys are in my pocket and I lean up against something.

Real wake-up call for me and the dog when the car is in the garage.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10906 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Oh, I have 3 CO alarms in my house. I'd hope one of them would catch this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10906 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Another example of the Dominant Entertainment Media Billed As "News" finding another thing over which to throw people into a panic.

The ignition key for my TrailBlazer was clipped to my keyring such that I could remove it. Sure as hell: On two occasions I walked away from that truck, hitting the door locks on the key fob, having left the key in the ignition and the engine running.

But those incidents were outside, in a busy parking lot.

I know modern engines can be pretty quiet, but how the hell do you have a motor vehicle running in a residential garage and not notice it?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine mother (85 years old) died she had went to early Church on Saturday during football season. She hurried home to watch the LSU game and drove into her garage and hit the button to close the door and we into her bedroom to watch the game. Then next morning her daughter kept calling her on the phone and when she didn't answer she went to check on her. When she opened the door the heat about knocked her down she ran to her mother's room and there she was dead lying in the bed. She shut the garage door but forgot to turn the car off.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have had one for 3,000 miles and forgotten twice to press the button. Both times the engine killed when I let the clutch out. Fortunately, my foot was on the brake. It also auto shuts off after 15 minutes. I guess that comes into play if I leave the car in neutral and exit.

After 35 years of driving with a regular key, the fob is an adjustment. With a regular key I had to turn the engine off and take it with me because the house key was on it.

I'm not there yet, but without his hearing aids, my dad can't hear the turn signals, engine running, or most of the warning bells on his new Highlander. Fortunately, it gets parked outside.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Any accidental death is terrible for the families, so please don't think I'm taking the insensitive position of natural selection or being unconcerned with this.

I couldn't help but do a quick search for any historical perspective/study and the very first hit that came up was this one, showing many, many accidental deaths from the same cause circa 1980-1995. Interesting data, especially the spikes towards the north and winter months. Not sure if that's people starting cars before leaving and leaving them on too long or what.

In any event, it's not an issue with keyless ignition in the 80's.

One CDC study.

This chart shows a flat or declining occurrence rate '99-'14

In any event, a news story reminding folks of the danger might help with pointing this out to the elderly as a risk. Though that chart shows prevalence spikes in the middle aged folks. Of course that's from all sources, not just autos.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've been driving keyless cars since 2010. As long as you keep your key in your pocket the car will alarm if you exit if it is running. If you leave your keys in the car no alarm. I've never left mine running unattended but have gotten out a couple times with it still running.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
My SIL has one. Once she stopped at home to change clothes, left the key in her other pants. The car started cuz the key was still in range. But when she got to downtown Chicago, turned it off and locked it, she was done. Had to go home with a friend and get the key to get her car back. I quit thinking keyless starting was cool that moment.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting, a group of gun people blaming an inanimate object vs. human behavior for causing something bad to happen... Big Grin

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to be able to lock the car with the keys in the ignition (in my 12 year old pickup, I still have to lock it with the second key I'm carrying.) If I'm stopped at an accident scene, for example, I want to be able to leave the car running. I wouldn't be in favor of an auto shutoff unless you can override it. That said, the "feature" my truck has where it won't let you lock the car with a button with the keys in the ignition is a useful one.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife left her car running inside our garage overnight once. Fortunately no bad result.

It was not keyless...it had a normal key. Just just forgot to turn it off! :|

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They were discussing this on local talk radio and they said 28 people have died since 2006 due to this.
While sad, 28 people in 12 years is hardly anything to get into a kurfuffle over and forcing car companies to put more costly electronic features on.

I actually prefer the old fashioned key to the smart key.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Seems like an easy fix for an auto shutoff if both front seats are unoccupied for more than 5 min or something.

I just got a 2018 Lincoln Navigator.

It turns off by itself after a while (maybe 15 minutes?) in park, even if you're sitting in the car with the key. If you're sitting in the car it gives you a 30-second window to tap the brake to cancel the auto shutoff. (Then does it again a little later... and again a little later... etc.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have CO detectors in multiple rooms and the garage, both independent battery powered and alarm panel monitored. You often don't get a second chance with these things.

Also, I am planning on getting monitored smokes and COs installed in the HVAC supply plenums, with the alarm panel set to shut down the HVACs if issues are detected. Any advice on equipment is appreciated.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post