SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The calls from “windows support” have changed to “Apple support.”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The calls from “windows support” have changed to “Apple support.” Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
We’ve received five robo calls so far today informing us the Apple support has “detected suspicious activity with our Apple account.”

This must be why our big Nigerian payday has been delayed. Oh well...

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bi-curious Tech Support.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I have been enjoying videos lately of hackers trolling scammers in india. I cannot explain why its funny as it isnt that funny but i do enjoy when the tech support scammers steal a file that is a virus or ransomware.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The scam calls seem to be coming from those of Indian-inflected voices (I occasionally *67 return their calls at odd hours). Finally with an iPhone, blocking calls is easy.

Another Indian-hatched scam: Ex-mum-in-law responded to a spam email, a Safari pop-up told her of malware, she called the number, and paid for both a consultation and lifetime malware detection on her MacBook Air.

When visiting, I saw the program running, questioned it, and was able to retrieve $500 of her $650 the 'security company' had extracted from her BANK ACCOUNT. Yes, mom surrendered her routing and account number to a voice on the phone, claiming to be Apple.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite scam baiters is Kitboga:

https://www.youtube.com/channe...2FAXZMw1BaWeFszZxUKw

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Finally with an iPhone, blocking calls is easy.

With any smartphone, blocking calls is easy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
This happened at my work place and I'm with the Service Desk. One of my customers fell for the malware and actually called. Fortunately, she did not give access or a CC # and decided to call me. Which is what she should have done in the first place... Ugh...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post