SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any effective means to ward off red-winged blackbirds?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any effective means to ward off red-winged blackbirds? Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
Okay, so yesterday, I had my monthly allergy shot. Went to the clinic and walked in problem-free.

Got my shot and was waiting in line to schedule next month's shot when another patient walked in, and the receptionist said to them, "did he get you?"

Confused Confused

It didn't take long to deduce that a bird outside had dive-bombed the guy on his way in.

After scheduling my appointment, I made my way out the door and proceeded to walk the 30 yards to my truck, when I hear a sonic boom whooosshhhh go by my left ear.

WTF?!?!

I look around and he must be in stealth mode. I think I see a brief blur go by on my left side, when I suddenly hear a flapping near my right ear. I feel the air from his rotor wash wings, he's that close.

GAH!

I shift it into overdrive, and see him at my six...he's too close for missile shot, but his guns are armed and ready! He goes swooping by with only my cat-like reflexes Big Grin saving me from direct hit.

I'm nearly at my truck, and I swear as I watched, he pulled an Immelmann and was just on his way down to strafe again when I jumped into my truck.

Live to see another day.

Apparently, they say red-winged blackbirds are a protected species in Wisconsin...

But, does anyone have any good ideas for what to use to ward these bastards off?

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Avoid walking by whatever tree their nest is in.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Wish that were an option. They must be in the spruce tree right next to the (only) entrance.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of them at our favorite local NWR. One in particular believes he owns an entire observation platform and will guard it as fiercely as he can without actually landing on your head.

It's kind of cute, really.

Beautiful birds, aren't they?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Used to have hose fights with starlings, they would dive bomb my dogs and i'd try to hit them with a shot of water, they can be very acrobatic...

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Wear a helmet hardhat and goggles?

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Speaking of acrobatic, ever watch crows harassing an eagle?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep, they guard their nests with great glee.

You have to admire that kind of guts in a little bird that weighs less that a cup of coffee.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
So far, the only idea I've come up with is a quick deploy umbrella.

This clinic is 5 blocks off lake Michigan...lots of coyote and foxes near the lake. Pretty bad area to choose a nest site, imo.

posted Hide Post
Badminton racquet and an umbrella .

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

No but I did just yesterday see about 6 smaller birds, probably robins as we have a bunch and have had two nest so far on front porch this season, harassing one of the nice sized red hawks we have here also. The smaller birds where just dive bombing and squawking at the hawk. The hawk just kept flying around doing his thing like they weren't even there. This went on for a good minute or two before the smaller birds all took off

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

We see crows harassing Hawks pretty regularly, It always amazes me that the hawks put up with it like they do.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
... This clinic is 5 blocks off lake Michigan...lots of coyote and foxes near the lake. Pretty bad area to choose a nest site, imo.

Yeah well, yotes and foxes don't climb trees and can be pretty cowardly when attacked. You ran didn't you? Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Read the OP, trying to figure out what the problem is.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Red Wing blackbirds are song birds; beautiful song. Pretty loud, too. I don't think Red Wings nest in trees. The ones in my back yard swamp nest in the cattails. The Fish Crows rob their nests, as do snakes. That's why I have the silenced CZ 452. Death to crows!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
Badminton racquet and an umbrella .

This. I have a racquet that I use when I mow the back acreage behind my house.
There's a bunch of the red wing blackbirds that nest in my backyard.
There's only a few that harass me but a few swings and they leave me alone. They do however hover about 15' above me and violently shrill at me.
Between the birds, snakes, mice, ticks and other things, mowing the backyard is a pain in the ass.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Outdoor dining areas in restaurants near the beach stretch heavy monofilament line every few feet to keep the birds out. Its unobtrusive but birds learn to stay away pretty quickly

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I was visiting The Riverwalk in San Antonio, and there was a restaurant who's solution was to offer wide brimmed hats like a Tilley T4 with big targets painted on the top. I think all the patrons I saw were wearing these hats.

All that told me was to find somewhere else to eat.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I have one that sits on the french door handle, rattles it and screams at me.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Death to crows!

Preach it brother.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post