SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    March 2020 Firearm Background Checks Shatter Single Month Record
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March 2020 Firearm Background Checks Shatter Single Month Record Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...single-month-record/

FBI figures released Wednesday show March 2020 shattered the single month record for the number of National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) checks conducted in one month.

FBI numbers account for 3,740,688 background checks last month, shattering the record of 3,314,594, set in December 2015; the only other time NICS checks crossed the three million threshold for a single month.

Moreover, the number of checks conducted in March 2020 represent a nearly 30 percent increase over the number conducted in March 2019, and that period witnessed the second highest number of checks of any March in history up to that point.

For many reasons background checks alone cannot be used to determine the number of guns sold.

For example, a check is conducted on the person, not the gun. Also, a person can buy more than one gun on passing a check, so the number of checks may be far below the number of guns sold.

And many states regularly run their concealed concealed permit holders through NICS checks to be sure criminal records remain clear. First-time permit applicants are also run through the NICS system.

Each month, the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) “[subtracts] out NICS purpose code permit checks and permit rechecks used by states for CCW permit application checks as well as checks on active CCW permit databases” to come up with a baseline of checks for gun sales.

After adjusting for permit checks and renewals the NSSF reported a figure of 2,375,525 NICS checks for March 2020 versus 1,317,114 for March 2019. Those figures show an 80.4 percent increase in background checks in March 2020 versus March 2019.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
AWESOME....Hopefully the significance of the 2A will be on the minds of 'voters' on Election Day!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Many states allow gun purchases to CHL/LTC holders without NICS checks, so there is a disconnect there if counting guns sold.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Many states allow gun purchases to CHL/LTC holders without NICS checks, so there is a disconnect there if counting guns sold.

flashguy

It's right there in Black & White.... Wink

"For many reasons background checks alone cannot be used to determine the number of guns sold."

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
(Sigh.) And here I thought deals were finally starting to pop up for Mossberg 590A1s.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

It's right there in Black & White.... Wink

"For many reasons background checks alone cannot be used to determine the number of guns sold."
Yes, I saw that. I posted a reason that did not appear in that list.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how cyclical the gun business is.

Just a few months ago I was feeling sorry for our local store guy because his Black Friday was a flop, and he was sitting on loads of inventory, including case upon case of 9mm.

Now his shelves are empty.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Commies in Massachusetts have fixed the problem of gun sales by closing stores and banning the required class to get licenses.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My LGS closed the doors in January.....

My buddy back in NC shut his doors last year...

The brick and mortar store was severely hurt by the internet.

But I’m glad that more people are using their God given rights and protecting themselves.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now do concealed weapons permit approvals

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
"Merica, in a good way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Commies in Massachusetts have fixed the problem of gun sales by closing stores and banning the required class to get licenses.

Good lord, what complete and utter BULLSHIT!!!
(Not frayedends, the practice of not allowing sales)

Geez, I wonder how many gun sales went unreported using the "Innerweb loophole" Roll Eyes

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
One gun store in my area closed because of the virus. The ones that remained open have no inventory. They’ve been cleaned out and can’t get more guns at reasonable prices

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Good lord, what complete and utter BULLSHIT!!!
(Not frayedends, the practice of not allowing sales)

Geez, I wonder how many gun sales went unreported using the "Innerweb loophole" Roll Eyes

It's pretty sickening what they've done. Here's some pics that describe it best...

Keep in mind the training class is required to apply for license to carry in MA...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ 'Virtual Training' BANNED by these MASSholes....Just who do Fuck do they think they are! Roll Eyes

Live Free or Die!

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
And abuse of the Second keeps coming.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Just wondering regarding this outrageous abuse of power/overreach by MASShole politicians, has other 'virtual training' been banned in MA, or is it just firearms training that's banned? Roll Eyes

Live Free or Die!

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

A very good question, nhracecraft.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post