SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rotating your vehicle tires..Is it necessary?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rotating your vehicle tires..Is it necessary? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

I understand your response as it relates to the whole thread. But I just answered a specific question within the thread. Not sure why you singled this out.

We just had a multi-page thread on this very topic. And contrary to popular belief, the new tires go on the rear.

https://www.popularmechanics.c...s-debunked-10031440/

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Nope. Not in my world. New tires on the back are worthless if you can't get the car stopped because of the skins on the front.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. Not in my world. New tires on the back are worthless if you can't get the car stopped because of the skins on the front.

Don't blame me if you can't stop.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So are you under the impression that the rear wheels are the predominant source of braking?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the tire.

Some tires will wear more than others, and need to be rotated as frequently as every 5K miles to prevent noise, scalloping of the edges or other undesirable wear. Other tread designs easily go 20K miles without showing appreciable wear. Check the manufacturers recommendation for the proper interval.

Is it necessary? Depends on how you look at it, and what you find acceptable. It really isn't any more necessary than changing your engine oil.

Oil should be changed at an appropriate interval determined by the manufactured based on testing in regards to various operating conditions, but depending on the quality of oil, filter, engine tolerances and other variables you might be able to drive for an amazing amount of time and distance without noticing issues.

The downside is that you may not get the full life and performance of the product and need to replace or repair more often.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I had almost 40 years in the tire industry, there is no reason not to rotate, if you have the same size all around. I do it every other oil change, around 7000 miles.

It will add life to the tires, give you or the mechanic a chance to check brakes etc.

Are you still supposed to rotate tires from back to front if the front tires are worn more than the rear tires on a FWD car? I was advised to put the newest tires on the rear which seemed like it would negate any reason to rotate them.

As long as the wear is even, no alignment problem, I'd still rotate. If they're so worn that they will need replacement soon, just leave them and replace when you can.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Half a century ago I worked nearly 5 years in a tire/alignment shop.

Based on that daily experience, my own answer is a resounding HELL YES!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I rotate the tires on my wife's Subaru SUV about every 5,000 miles. My Corvette has directional tires with different sizes between front and rear.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Every knowledgeable person will tell you that new tires go on the rear. Relative stopping power is not paramount. Other considerations are.

Stop spreading bad information.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my understanding, new tires go on rear. Hydroplaning rear tires are worse than hydroplaining front tires. So by being newer on rear, safer choice.

Better yet is to slow down in rain conditions.

My experience has also proven much better tire life and performance with rotations and balancing.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Back to the original rotation vs replacement....

Rotate every oil change or 5K, tires are one of the largest expenditures you'll make on the vehicle, and watch air pressure, stay on top of it and you'll get better mileage.

Also good idea to get an alignment package from a reputable tire or alignment shop and check that every 6 months...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Since I buy all my tires at Discount Tire, rotation and balance is done for free.
Yep. They've done all my vehicles for many years. And they are nationwide--I had a tire damaged out of state and it was replaced at a local (to there) DT.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I get mine rotated and it seems to make them last longer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy, drive to a Discount Tire store near you, and ask them for their opinion, they will tell you about your particular circumstance.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You not only need to rotate your tires. But you should rotate your shoes. You are suppose to not wear the same pair every day. Alternate them from day to day...even if it is the same shoes(get duplicate). It makes them last longer.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some cases rotating your shoes can make two pair last as much as twice as long as a single pair. All this time I have been alternating my boots just to make sure they dried and did not stink.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I rotate my tires one a year when I change over from summer to winter and back again. if the tires are wearing funny I would solve the underlying problem, but they don't. I must be lucky.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Easy, drive to a Discount Tire store near you, and ask them for their opinion, they will tell you about your particular circumstance.
Even easier, get a copy of your owner's manual and see what the people who designed, engineered, and manufactured your vehicle recommend.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
And, since they're radials, changing them to the other side isn't advisable, either.

Wrong.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post