SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rotating your vehicle tires..Is it necessary?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rotating your vehicle tires..Is it necessary? Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted
Of all the vehicles I have owned, I very rarely ever rotated the tires. What I found was the tires moved to the front were out of balance and now I had to deal with that.

Over the years, all the tires seemed to wear evenly and when it was time to replace them I didn't have any heartache because a few may have had a little more tread than the others, they were still close to being needed to be replaced.

So what is the collective thoughts on rotating tires?

Pros?
Cons?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
What I found was the tires moved to the front were out of balance and now I had to deal with that.

If the tires were out of balance upfront then they were out of balance in the back. Maybe you didn't notice till they were moved.

On front-wheel-drive cars I find the front tire wear quicker. That can be effect by your driving habits also. Cool

So yes I do rotate my tires. Not as often as I used to but I still do.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Of all the vehicles I have owned, I very rarely ever rotated the tires. What I found was the tires moved to the front were out of balance and now I had to deal with that.

Over the years, all the tires seemed to wear evenly and when it was time to replace them I didn't have any heartache because a few may have had a little more tread than the others, they were still close to being needed to be replaced.

So what is the collective thoughts on rotating tires?

Pros?
Cons?

How many miles per year do you drive? What kind of driving do you do? I can see where it would make less difference on a car that is not driven much and is driven very mildly at low speeds.

Typically though, for most drivers there is significantly more stress put on the outside portion of the tread of the front tires. If not rotated, this are will wear out faster and perform poorly.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Necessary for safety reasons? No. For maximum tire life? Yes, especially on FWD, AWD and 4WD with "aggressive" (geared more to off-road than pavement use) tread. On most AWD systems you need to keep tire diameter/circumference very close to avoid excessive wear on differentials. I like to rotate mine (FWD car) every 5000 miles, the same as my oil change interval. With RWD, unless you drive a lot of mountain roads and/or aggressively, you don't need it as often. Tires will often need a re-balancing at least once during their lifetime.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It depends on the vehicle and depends on how you drive it.

A pickup truck will wear tires differently than a Toyota Camry.

Some cars require it--my Subaru needs all 4 tires to be the same rolling circumference. Other cars prohibit it--I had an M3 with staggered directional tires that could not be rotated.

For most 2 wheel drive vehicles, the driveline does not care if the wheels are rotated so long as the rolling circumference of the wheels are the same on the same axel. For such vehicles, the benefit of rotating the tires is to even out tire wear and prolonged the life of the tires. If you have cheap tires, that's not much value. If you have a sports car with soft compound tires that cost $450 and only last 16-20k miles, you want to stretch that out.

For 4wd and AWD vehicles, the benefit or rotating tires also helps reduce wear on the driveline--depending on the type of AWD/4wd you have. If you have selectable 4wd, chances are the vehicle doesn't care. If you have computer controlled AWD part time, chances are it won't care either. If you have full time AWD then it is probably critical.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I went from directional to non-directional on my Mercedes, which has staggered F/R sizes, so I can at least rotate L<>R

Not that it makes a huge difference. The OE Continentals were dead in 16k miles.
Went to a Bridgestone & got double that life.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
On the Impreza we've never rotated, and never needed to rotate. Uneven wear was once tracked to worn front control arm bushings.

On the truck, I stopped because two of the rims are a little bent, so I leave them on the rear. But the fronts will wear faster than the rears, so rotating makes sense. Maybe I'll stick with steel rims.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have heard—but can’t cite the source—that rotation is unnecessary with FWD cars.
First of all, with radial tires and asymmetric treads you can only move front to back, not change sides; can’t rotate in the spare which was original reason to increase tire mileage; in my opinion you can throw balance out requiring rebalancing. Simpler would be to replace the front tires when the tread gets low.
I’ve never seen convincing arguments to the contrary—for FWD cars with radial tires.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I rotate mine every 5-6000 miles, because it is included in the cost at Tire Discounters. I did get 95,000 out of a set of Michelin LTX on My pilot. I just replaced the Coopers on my CRV, 84,858 miles and I could have gone one more rotation before I actually got to the wear indicators. However, I replaced them because I was having some brake work done and it was convenient to do it all at the same time.

So yes, I am a believer in rotating tires, for maximum life.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Oil changed 2x per year and tires rotated during oil change.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you don't rotate your tires, how do you get anywhere?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Since I buy all my tires at Discount Tire, rotation and balance is done for free.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Every oil change, non directional get crossed as well as back to front. Usually do the oil and rotation myself.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I do mine myself every 5000 miles.
I do a lot of mountain driving so it's necessary.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
No charge to rotate at Discount Tire.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yes. Except motorcycles, farm tractors & ATVs
Every 5k miles.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
… with radial tires and asymmetric treads you can only move front to back, not change sides ...
Neither of these are true. 40 years ago, a radial tire might go bad (develop a tread separation) if its rotation were reversed. Not any more. And asymmetric tires don't care about rotation direction either. You're confusing this with directional tread.

Having said that, I just go front to back, out of habit, even on my own car. This habit was developed after being chewed out, in the early days of my career, by old farts with their asses parked in lawn chairs watching and critiquing every move I made. It wasn't worth arguing about, then or now.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Necessary no. But it does in most all cases extend the life of the tires, helps with ride and handling, and all tires get replaced at the same time (which I will argue helps with safety to a small degree).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I have my tires rotated every oil change.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post