SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon's Alexa exposed by Steve Crowder and Jarred.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon's Alexa exposed by Steve Crowder and Jarred. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm laughing about people buying the damn things. For the last 75 years both spy and dystopia fiction talked about governments sneaking in or forcibly placing surveillance equipment in our homes. In reality, we buy them and install them ourselves.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I'm laughing about people buying the damn things. For the last 75 years both spy and dystopia fiction talked about governments sneaking in or forcibly placing surveillance equipment in our homes. In reality, we buy them and install them ourselves.

I'll never own one or allow one in my house. Just like I never will be on Facebook.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
What do you expect from Jeff Bezos (the owner of the Washington Post)?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Voice control is nothing new. My Dad had it, and the NSA wasn't listening in.
"Son, turn the TV up."

"Son, change the TV channel to 18."

"Son, get me a beer."

"Son, take the garbage out."

"Son, turn the lights on/off."

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
"Son, turn the TV up."

"Son, get me a beer."

been there , done that, most of my youth,

Razz

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you want to see how far left Alexa's algorithms are ask Alexa "Is Hillary Clinton a narcissistic sociopath?"

Post the responses here, word for word.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
If you want to see how far left Alexa's algorithms are ask Alexa "Is Hillary Clinton a narcissistic sociopath?"

I'd love to know how she answers that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

I'd love to know how she IT answers that.

You are halfway assimilated already. The correct pronoun is "it" not "she."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I posted on facepalm and my friend has an Amazon Echo played the video. She claims that Alexa is answering the video's questions but giving different answers than the video.

I wonder what is going on. The video was posted today, but I guess it's possible Amazon tweaked the answers.

Another friend on facepalm just responded that the answer to the Jesus question was, "Jesus is the 6rh album by Kayne West" Eek

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I posted on facepalm and my friend has an Amazon Echo played the video. She claims that Alexa is answering the video's questions but giving different answers than the video.

I wonder what is going on. The video was posted today, but I guess it's possible Amazon tweaked the answers.

Another friend on facepalm just responded that the answer to the Jesus question was, "Jesus is the 6rh album by Kayne West" Eek

I am not sure what all it uses to work and get info but I do know geographical location is a factor. Also your voice, tone, inflection, volume, etc. all can change the answers or response you get.

I can ask a question or tell it to do something and ask the same 20 minutes later and the result will be different. Same if I ask or tell it something then my son follows up mimicking me and the results are different.

I got one for Christmas last year played with it a bit. It is pretty useless as far as gaining knowledge from asking questions.

Makes a good music player for next to the bed but that is about it. Mine glows red 99% of the time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Son, turn the TV up."

"Son, get me a beer."

Good Lord! You know you're getting old remembering when you had to get up to change the channel on the TV set! Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why? AI won't be smarter than us we'll just be dumber that it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
What do you expect from Jeff Bezos (the owner of the Washington Post)?

Dr. Evil Jeff Bezos (the owner of the Washington Post)
By way of Chris Plante, WMAL conservative host.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Son, turn the TV up."

"Son, get me a beer."

"Son, go cut a switch."

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Bezos: Alexa, buy something from Whole Foods.

Alexa: Whole Foods purchased.

Bezos: Holy Fuck!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Jim, you always make me laugh! Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post