SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inspired by salt on ypur watermelon poll: Cheese on your apple pie?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspired by salt on ypur watermelon poll: Cheese on your apple pie? Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
But...was it warm "truck cheese"? Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
The only dairy that goes on apple pie is vanilla ice cream.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Whats this cheese crap, true southern is ice cold watermelon chilled in the bathtub with ice water. Slice that melon and take a wedge, sprinkle on salt, devour wilst turning the crank on the icecream maker. Homemade ice cream on apple pie. That's the Kentucky way! Spent my childhood bailing hay in summer in Arlington Ky. This was the Southern way.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My Kaintuck family did it the exact same way. And lots of cinnamon, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
>> Looks at results so far <<

Why do I associate with you uncouth heathens? Cool

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze. This was told to me back in the 60's by a nun.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were cheesing up apple pie in PA 50 years ago so it either migrated north or is somewhat widespread. Sometimes I turned down the pie if no cheese was forthcoming.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I refer slightly melted Colby on my apple pie. Lots of salt one the water melon!

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I love cheese/sharp cheddar, but not on apple pie. Gross!

Big Grin

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no. Apple pie with vanilla ice cream and Carmel drizzled all over it for me

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! Paper-thin slices of extra-sharp cheddar, brick, or havarti.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fruit and cheese is a classic combination. Delicious.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I like cherry and berry and peach pies better than apple anyway, but if it's apple...no cheese.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I think WI had a law on the books that no apple pie could be served in the state without a slice of cheese.
I could be wrong.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I love cheese (except that crap made from goat’s milk that tastes like you’re licking a rotten asshole), but have never had it on apple pie. However, sweet/savory(and a touch salty) combinations are often quite delicious - like a nice cheese plate with some raisins/craisins - so I can definitely see these flavors working together. I’ve never had it, but will definitely try it when I get the opportunity.

Trying new foods and flavor combinations is one of the great joys of sharing cultures. A couple years ago, I learned of Mexicans using a salt/Chile spice combination sprinkled over fresh, sweet pineappple. It is amazing and I don’t eat fresh pineapple without it anymore. Last week in London, I ate at a Turkish restaurant, and it was the best food we had there - of course I love garlic which was featured heavily in the dishes we had.

When I was about 9yo, I was at a Chinese restaurant. I was a typical American kid without a taste for anything that wasn’t a plain hamburger or nugget. For some unknown reason, there was a couple in the place that ordered a “Pupu platter”, upon which I was the sterno can of fire with sticks of meat hanging over - and I demanded to have that. The Pupu platter could only be ordered for two, and thankfully, my mother enthusiastically agreed to have it with me (she’s just a little smart, IMHO). The platter arrived with it’s fire, meat on a stick, shrimp rolls, dumplings, and other delicious fare - and I was in heaven - hooked for life into trying new foods and enjoying that which is not “plain”.

Looking back, that was probably the defining experience off my culinary journey. I look forward to trying sharp cheddar on apple pie - it could be terrrible (had that experience too, skip any offerings of olive oil cake - it’s awful), but I can now see how it might tast great and will happily give it a chance!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Hell, yes. Wisconsin or Vermont White, extra sharp. Great counter point to the sweet cinnamony pie my wife makes. Maybe a side car of french vanilla ice cream.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGlord
posted Hide Post
Apple pie topped with cave-aged gruyere.

Posts: 405 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post