SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inspired by salt on ypur watermelon poll: Cheese on your apple pie?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspired by salt on ypur watermelon poll: Cheese on your apple pie? Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted
It is a similar savory and sweet mix. I love it, but is it mostly a midwest thing?

I’ve only done it with cheddar cheese, anyone use anything different?

Question:
Cheese on your apple pie?

Choices:
Oh yeah!
No way!
What is wrong with you people?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just like salted watermelon (or fruit in general). Nope, nope nope.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Vanilla ice cream, maybe. No cheese.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
That, only without the ", maybe." Big Grin

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extra Sharp Cheddar with my Apple pie. But not on it.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
What?!? Why?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Vanilla ice cream OR sharp cheddar. Not both at the same time.

Put a thick slice of cheddar on the slice of pie and put the plate in the oven until the cheese melts.

If you haven't tried it, you should.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I hate cheese, so NO. I also don't put salt on my watermelon--I did used to salt my cantaloupe, though, but I've not done it for years.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never tried it that way, but I love both, so maybe some day.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze"

-My great grandmother.

(Secret - I actually don't use it every time I eat apple pie).

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OHHHHH NOOOOOO VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i just threw up a little

so that's a 'No' vote

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
"Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze"

And my father, although I don't recall his ever putting cheese on apple pie.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Love pie! It's all good! Big Grin

--plain
--warm
--cold
--a la mode
--depending on type (e.g. apple) with a nice slice of sharp cheddar on the side... never on top!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American cheese on HOT apple pie. My wife says sharp cheddar cheese.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
is it mostly a midwest thing?

It's definitely a New England thing. Apple pie with cheddar makes a great breakfast. Just ask Daniel Webster.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I voted "what is wrong with you people"...I've never tried it but it almost sounds as bad as non-sweetened ice tea Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I voted "what is wrong with you people"...I've never tried it but it almost sounds as bad as non-sweetened ice tea Big Grin

P A G A N !!!! Big Grin unsweetened ice tea is GREAT! HA!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheese on rare occasions, but more likely to be vanilla ice cream.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a Southern thing, I think. The first time my grandmother served me apple pie with a slice of cheddar, I didn't realize it was cheese. It looked like cheese, but it was on pie, you see, and therefore had to be some sort of sweet- some weird icing. But, uh, no- dang, grandma- that's cheese.

Yeah, it sounds and looks odd, but if it's done with right, it's tasty. You need a mellow cheddar, something that lends more to texture than flavor. The cheese should be room temperature when placed atop your warm pie, then allowed to reside in a warm oven for roughly two sips of a mint julep. Mind you- your cheese is not melted, but rather in a custard-like state.

Gotta do it right, y'see, and then you shall understand.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post