SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those who are owned by a cat, come inside (toy question)
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Those who are owned by a cat, come inside (toy question) Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Happy Saturday everyone. I am going to buy a few cat toys to keep my all black nightfury occupied and content. My kitteh is strictly a indoor parlor panther and needs enrichment.

What are some battery powered mobile toys and things besides a rattle ball and laser that will keep my miscreant busy and burning off her excess energy?

We've been getting along better lately but she needs some new toys.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The longest lasting toy that the Fuzz still enjoys is his Turbo Scratcher. Though the ball no longer lights up inside when it is rolled, he still uses it frequently to scratch his claws. In the past I did own one of those battery operated toys that an arm activates under a piece of vinyl that rotated around in circles with a small tail that can be seen around the edges as it rotates. After him pouncing on it several times the motor made such noise he lost interest and it was subsequently returned after a week for a refund. The turbo Scratcher still keeps him amused and he can often be heard playing with it late in the sleeping hours..btw, they do sell the cardboard replacements in the center cheaply. You can flip it over once the top is shredded first.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I haven't known a cat that didn't love real fur toy mice, they are hard to find now a days though

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A small stick, string and a lump of fuzz on the end- cat paradise. Add a kids fishing rod and you can cat-fish all day long.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
6 foot piece of cord with a big knot at the end, that used to have a feather in it Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
The turbo scratcher is an must have for a cat house. Ours gets a lot of upset.

Simple toy without batteries that also get a lot of use are shoestrings, milk jug rings and balled up aluminum foil.

Try them, they work.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My cat likes balled-up pieces of paper. Also, old shoelaces are fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
A couple of ping pong balls keep my kitties entertained.
Not a good idea to leave them out overnight though. Well, not unless you enjoy hearing kitty soccer at 2 AM.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

*batteries not included

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The peel open plastic things on FedEx envelopes taped to stick/rod. Free toy they like more than all other expensive made in China stuff from petsmart. Still have not lost interest yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the toys I've bought my cats a small ball of paper is still there favorite.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

*batteries not included

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You're doing it all wrong. Get your cat a few boxes and put them throughout the house.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Two other things that are their favorite.

Girlfriends hair ties and a shoe lace that has a couple knots and loops tied into it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a confirmed cat owner, our family always had at least one cat when I was growing up, and my wife and I have had cats, usually multiples in the 50 plus years that we have been married.

I have made cat toys, bought cat toys, and am often given toys for the cats. The money I have spent on cat toys over the years would have made a substantial addition to the armory.

Although I study cat likes and dislikes; my batting average selecting toys that our cats will play with more than ten minutes hovers around .002.

Boxes and supermarket paper bags do generally work, although they are off bags right now, and the joint is covered with boxes.

I can say that our cats much prefer toys with humans attached to one end. The stick and string with feathers attached usually works if a cat’s human employs it vigorously.

My point is that cat attendants should not fear failure in toy selection, it is inevitable. Most cats will pretend to dislike toys just to put the attendant in his/her proper place.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Make a ball out of rubber bands that's small enough to fit comfortably in the cat's mouth and light enough to be batted around easily. Don't worry about the surface being even; it'll bounce or roll in unpredictable ways and the cat will dig it.

A length of string or ribbon you wave around so that the cat can chase, bat at, catch and chew on. Bonus points: the cat considers this quality time with the biped waving it around.

Anything that makes crunchy, crackly or wrinkly (if that's a word in this context) sounds.

The ever-popular kick toy is great for when cat needs to get some extra ya-yas out. They hug it and squeeze it and eviscerate it with their hind claws and feel all kinds of better.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
I am a confirmed cat owner, our family always had at least one cat when I was growing up, and my wife and I have had cats, usually multiples in the 50 plus years that we have been married.

I have made cat toys, bought cat toys, and am often given toys for the cats. The money I have spent on cat toys over the years would have made a substantial addition to the armory.

Although I study cat likes and dislikes; my batting average selecting toys that our cats will play with more than ten minutes hovers around .002.

Boxes and supermarket paper bags do generally work, although they are off bags right now, and the joint is covered with boxes.

I can say that our cats much prefer toys with humans attached to one end. The stick and string with feathers attached usually works if a cat’s human employs it vigorously.

My point is that cat attendants should not fear failure in toy selection, it is inevitable. Most cats will pretend to dislike toys just to put the attendant in his/her proper place.

This is key. The cats like to play with their humans. They like different things for different cats. My cats, Black likes to jump and get things mid air, Gray likes to chase things and will spin in circles till he gets dizzy. The only thing in common is they like to stalk things around corners. One will watch while we play the others style of play, then take turns watching the other one. The key is find what engages them and rotate the keepers.

Mine also like Rubbermaid containers. Will both play and sleep in one. Every time we set one out they are intrigued.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Our cats love these crinkle balls.

They also love this giant mouse that has a pouch in the belly for catnip. The mouse is large enough to wrestle with (they love to "gut" it with their hind feet) and they can carry it around.

They also drag the kitty fishing pole around and will drop it our feet and meow until we play.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Report This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
A small stick, string and a lump of fuzz on the end- cat paradise. Add a kids fishing rod and you can cat-fish all day long.

This

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Report This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
We have a Siamese Cat.

We have tried several different toys.

Cheap battery powered mouse. Feathers on a stick and string. Those spring loaded feathers you can stick on the wall.

What she likes the most and has never got tired of them are those colored pipe cleaners. We bend them a little so the look like squiggly worms. We put them in the top holed compartment of her cat tower. She will go up there in the middle of the nights throw them out. She will carry them to her food bowl in the kitchen and drop them into her food and all around the bowl. When the Wife mops the kitchen floor they go back to the cat tower. In time they wind up back in and around her dry food bowl. We jokingly call them her babies as it appears she tries to return them to the food.

We throw a few at times in the bedroom on the carpet. She will bat them around at times until they disappear under the furniture or the closet door.

You can get a whole bag of them cheap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Report This Post