Notify
Tools

Lard Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Good and good for you.

I made the switch away from plant oils awhile back, with the exception of pure olive oil for things where olive oil is called for, and couldn't be happier with the choice. I feel better, my HDL, LDL, and TG numbers have improved, food tastes better, and my cast iron loves it.

It cooks better, bakes better, tastes better, is healthier, makes great soap, and it is dirt cheap to render yourself.

Yesterday I picked up 15 pounds of back and leaf fat from my local butcher for $5. It's all from homegrown pigs without hormones and/or antibiotics. Today I'm going to grind it, render it, and can it up. Should give me about a gallon of fresh and pure lard.

White gold! Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Somebody call me?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Welllll...it's just liquid bacon...so what's not to like Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed! I render the kidney leaf fat from our grassfed Hereford every fall, and buy lotsa hog fatback from the local butcher for making sausage. I just got a really heavy duty outdoor propane burner, so maybe it's time to render some pig lard as well!

Gustofer, what grinder plate do you use, and what rendering method? With the beef, I've been doing it dry in a very low oven for a loooooong time.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:

Gustofer, what grinder plate do you use, and what rendering method? With the beef, I've been doing it dry in a very low oven for a loooooong time.

I'm not sure the size. My grinder came with three plates and I use the larger one. It seems easier for it to go through when partially frozen. When I first started, I just cut it up into smallish cubes. Grinding seems to work much better.

I was doing it on the stovetop in a large pot for awhile, but lately I've been using my crockpot on low/warm. I just pile in the ground up fat and ladle it off as it melts. I run it through some cheesecloth and bottle it up.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Makes flakier biscuits, too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Rendering our own. Last two hogs e have had butchered, we have requested the fat back from. And you get cracklins. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I should inquire with our local family-owned butcher that processes quite a bit of pork. It does makes such great biscuits and pastries. I'd used vegetable shortening for making Cornish pasties, but switched out to lard a while back. SO much better.

I remember my late great-grandmother telling us how her family doctor had urged her to stop making lard crusts and use "something healthier" (she loved making pies). She outlived him and passed away at 98. Smile

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
I'd used vegetable shortening for making Cornish pasties, but switched out to lard a while back. SO much better.

I never could master a good pasty dough until I started using lard.

I usually make up a whole mess of them (pasties) and freeze them. They make great quick and easy meals when I don't feel like cooking. Also great to stick in my pack when I'm out in the woods all day. They make an awesome lunch.

posted Hide Post
It is impossible to make "the best" re-fried beans unless you use lard!!! There is no suitable substitute.....period!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys realize this can kill you? The fed have spent millions of tax dollars to study trans fats and concluded you will die after consuming lard. If you are ingesting a diet of lard filled bacon, gluten filled wheat bread, and cholesterol laced chicken eggs I predict you will not live past the age of 126. Big Grin

Lard in the skillet fries up some mighty fine bacon, once the bacon is done it fries up tortillas nicely and after the hot lard can be used for cooking eggs.

What was the question?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I never could master a good pasty dough until I started using lard.

I usually make up a whole mess of them (pasties) and freeze them. They make great quick and easy meals when I don't feel like cooking. Also great to stick in my pack when I'm out in the woods all day. They make an awesome lunch.

Not to go too far off-lard topic, but have you ever tried the Bedfordshire Clanger variation, where one puts a fruit jam or fruit-type filling at the end of the pasty for dessert? I'm going to give that a shot sometime soon.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That's kind of a neat idea. Why didn't I think of that?

posted Hide Post
Ok, I have to ask. What the heck is a pasty? A better, tastier version of a Hot Pocket?

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
From the Devon-Cornwall part of the UK. Tin miners used to eat them. Pastys are like empanadas or stromboli. Filling baked inside of a pastry shell. The miners' version would have a thick edge baked so that they could hold the pasty and throw away the portion that was used for grasping. That was to avoid eating arsenic in the tin mine.

https://www.thespruce.com/trad...-pasty-recipe-435042

Maybe someone will post a favorite recipe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
From the Devon-Cornwall part of the UK. Tin miners used to eat them. Pastys are like empanadas or stromboli. Filling baked inside of a pastry shell. The miners' version would have a thick edge baked so that they could hold the pasty and throw away the portion that was used for grasping. That was to avoid eating arsenic in the tin mine.

https://www.thespruce.com/trad...-pasty-recipe-435042

Maybe someone will post a favorite recipe.

Thanks. Looks tasty.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWC0sKCS5oA

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fry your chicken in lard. Nothing is better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
When my dad would make pasties he'd use ground suet and damn if those things weren't the best.

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
I should inquire with our local family-owned butcher that processes quite a bit of pork. It does makes such great biscuits and pastries. I'd used vegetable shortening for making Cornish pasties, but switched out to lard a while back. SO much better.

I remember my late great-grandmother telling us how her family doctor had urged her to stop making lard crusts and use "something healthier" (she loved making pies). She outlived him and passed away at 98. Smile

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Fry your chicken in lard. Nothing is better.

It's the only way I do it now, in a cast iron, buttermilk and all.

So good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post