SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "The Intellectual Dark Web" explained. UPUDATE 6/30 - new IDW discussions published
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Intellectual Dark Web" explained. UPUDATE 6/30 - new IDW discussions published Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
Eric Weinstein, who first uttered the name, gives an in depth explanation:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/cr0OX6ai4Qw

From Wikipedia: Eric Ross Weinstein is an American economist, writer, and managing director of Thiel Capital, Peter Thiel's investment firm. He writes on investments, capitalism, science, and mathematics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
It’s Joe Rogans, all the way down

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kenpoist,

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Brief explanation via reason.com:

What is the "Intellectual Dark Web"? The technical answer might be, "A phrase coined by mathematician and Thiel Capital Managing Director Eric Weinstein to describe a loose confederation of left-right intellectuals who share in common an open, occasionally career-altering defiance of the 'gated institutional narrative' enforced by media/academia/Hollywood, particularly as concerns identity politics."

posted Hide Post
TL;DWatch.

It's a group of public personalities, many of whom are podcasters or public speakers, that don't subscribe to the typical Main Stream Media and AM radio talk show "narratives," whether left or right.

On my podcast feed, I have Joe Rogan, Dave Rubin, Jordan Peterson, and Sam Harris in my podcast feed. I've listened to interviews with many of the other names in the "IDW" sphere. I don't always agree with them, but find them far more interesting then El Rushbo, Hannity or any thing on TV.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Two new discussions featuring Jordan Peterson and Eric Weinstein, hosted by Dave Rubin, now available. Ben Shapiro joins for the second conversation. They cover new ground instead of just going over the same themes as before. I find this stuff so much more valuable and intellectually stimulating than 99% of the crap that's available and TV and youtube. Both discussions are also available via the Rubin Report podcast, if you want audio only. That's how I normally consume this stuff, so I can work on other things at the same time.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2J4GxZ6iM

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagNM_oxssE

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Family watched both of those yesterday after our son came in and turned on the TV announcing “Jordan Peterson is on, live-streaming”. Good for him!
I agree, this was so much more enlightening than watching Fox, or C-SPAN for that matter.
Eric Weinstein is an interesting guy. Look for the RUbin Report video where he is on with his brother Brett who was kicked out of Evergreen State.
Eric Weinstein is a super-smart guy; but he hasn’t yet left the Left. In the first video posted above, he is frequently interrupted by Jordan Peterson, but sits quietly in response, as if JP is the dominant one in the hierarchy.
Anyway, I encourage you to watch both segments.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ JP has a habit of talking over pretty much everyone. Kind of surprising for a clinical psychologist, maybe, but not for a professor.