SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Israeli Warplane Shot Down As Air Force Carries Out Large Scale Attack against Iranian Targets in Syria after a Drone Violated Its Airspace
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Israeli Warplane Shot Down As Air Force Carries Out Large Scale Attack against Iranian Targets in Syria after a Drone Violated Its Airspace Login/Join 
posted
Israeli warplane shot down as air force carries out large scale attack against Iranian targets in Syria after a drone violated its airspace
By Tariq Tahir For Mailonline
04:45 EST 10 Feb 2018, updated 15:28 EST 10 Feb 2018

Israel said F-16 was taking part in retaliation for what was 'serious Iranian attack'
Military said it carried out 'large scale' strike against Iranian and Syrian targets
Warplane downed by Syrian anti-aircraft fire, crashed in Israel, crew both alive
Israel said a drone launched from Syria was intercepted by a helicopter
An Israeli fighter has been shot down as the country's air force carried out attacks against Iranian targets in Syria after intercepting a drone.

The military said its planes faced massive anti-aircraft fire from Syria that forced two pilots to abandon an F-16 jet that crashed in northern Israel, seriously wounding one and lightly injuring the other.

'This is a serious Iranian attack on Israeli territory. Iran is dragging the region into an adventure in which it doesn't know how it will end,' Israel's chief military spokesman, Brigadier General Ronen Manelis, said in a statement.

The aircraft was an F-16, of the type pictured, that was taking part in strikes against a dozen targets in Syria (File picture)

'Whoever is responsible for this incident is the one who will pay the price.'

Israeli forces identified an 'Iranian UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle)' launched from Syria and intercepted it in Israeli airspace with a combat helicopter, a statement said.

They then 'targeted the Iranian control systems in Syria that sent the UAV into Israeli airspace,' military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus tweeted.

'Massive Syrian anti-air fire, one F16 crashed in Israel, pilots safe.'

The Israeli military then carried out what it called a 'large scale attack' against Iranian and Syrian targets in Syria.

Israel has shot down several drones that previously tried to infiltrate its territory from Syria. The targeting of Iranian sites in response, however, mark an escalation in the Israeli retaliation.

The military said it struck 12 targets including three aerial defence batteries and four Iranian targets that are part of Iran's military establishment in Syria.

During the attack, anti-aircraft missiles were fired toward Israel jets triggering sirens that were sounded across northern Israel.

During the attack, anti-aircraft missiles were fired toward Israel jets triggering sirens that were sounded across northern Israel
Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman was convening a meeting of senior officers at the IDF's headquarters in Tel Aviv to discuss a further response.

Israeli military spokesman Jonathan Conricus said Iran was 'responsible for this severe violation of Israeli sovereignty' and that the military was 'fully prepared for further action.'

Syrian state TV quoted a military official saying Syrian air defences hit more than one Israeli plane. The official said the Israeli raids hit a base in the country's central area, and called it a 'new aggression.'

Israel has long complained about the involvement of archenemy Iran, and Iranian proxy Hezbollah, in the Syria war.

The Shiite allies have sent forces to back Syrian President Bashar Assad, who appears headed toward victory after years of fighting.

Israel has said it will not accept a permanent military presence by Iran and its Shiite allies in Syria, especially near the Israeli border.

It has been warning of late of the increased Iranian involvement along its border in Syria and Lebanon.

The country fears Iran could use Syrian territory to stage attacks or create a land corridor from Iran to Lebanon that could allow it to transfer weapons more easily to Hezbollah.

The Israeli Cabinet recently held a meeting on the Golan Heights near the border with Syria to highlight to new threats.

The military confirmed that the initial target in Syria - the unmanned aircraft's launch components - was successfully destroyed. Israel says it has the Iranian drone in its possession.

Iran's Foreign Ministry declined to comment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...a.html#ixzz56kRPt6Lo

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
After all of these decades people still haven't learned to not screw with Israel.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Israel will put up one hell of a fight regardless of the outcome. This much I know.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carpentermaass84:
I have no doubt Israel will punish Syria 100-fold for daring to defend itself.

Tough shit. It's like cancer fighting a surgeon.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It cheers me to know the pilots will return another day to punish Syria for daring to defend itself.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
These were Iranians stationed in Syria, not Syrians, operating the drones.
Seems likely they did it to provoke a response and had the SAMS ready in large numbers to do what they did.
Syria allows the use of their territory to screw whit the Israelis and Israel draws a real line in the sand.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I hope Trump sends them a replacement fighter jet. A better one.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
As Israel has proven many times, the best defence is to whoop the shit out of those about to or paying others to attack you.

I question whether Syria is a sovern(sp) country but ok....sure, they have the right of self defense, and Israel had to right to use MOABs.....lots of MOABs.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine what America might do if someone like Cuba would allow someone like the Soviets to have a presence and establish base with weapons that could threaten the destruction to a large part of Americans?

quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:...

I question whether Syria is a sovern(sp) country ...

Syria is not a sovereign state, it is a whore state.

By choice, let the pimps and tricks beat her.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
but Syria is still a sovereign nation and has every right to respond to constant bombings with defensive weapons.

No.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Defensive weapons don’t invade Israeli airspace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Exactly. Israel puts up with so much shit. Be it in the form of direct attacks or the liberal media slandering them and it's all BS. The fact Israel hasn't turned all their shithead neighbors into a smoking pit shows how reasonable they've been.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have egg on our face for trying to arm a jihadist uprising that failed to topple Assad's government after 7 years.

Israel is assisting the Islamists as well.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Centre for Research on Globalisation

Might as well quote InforWars or TheBlaze.

While some of the content contains element of truth, the whole of it cannot be trusted.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have egg on our face for trying to arm a jihadist uprising that failed to topple Assad's government after 7 years. Iran and Russia outwitted us and now we're stuck with a situation where Iran has a client state that borders Israel. There is no solution to this problem other than a direct US invasion to put a Sunni theocratic government friendly to Israel in Assad's place.

Syria has always been a whore of Iran. This is nothing new. It’s common knowledge that planes come in and out of Damascus with terrorist fighters and weapons. Been going on for DECADES.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Do you have a point?

Such things occur in all wars and contests.

Often one allies with the "enemy" in order to put ones self and interests on better footing.

It's chess.

We did it with the Soviets in WWII, in a large an obvious fashion. We have done so in many other instances, some that still have not come to light.

And, yeah, I am biased. In case anyone ever misses that about me.

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
We've been bombing Syria too, and no one posting on this thread would justify Iran flying drones in our airspace. I can only think of one reason why some would treat Israel differently.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post