SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever get the feeling that you are being watched?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever get the feeling that you are being watched? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I understand the feeling you're getting, the real question is by what means are you perceiving it?

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
pardon for odd observation.....in the clip posted above, after the crash at 0:58, isn't the wheel actually spinning backwards in the wrong direction?

If it were locked into 4WD, it wouldn't be spinning at all. Unless an axle/diff broke or something,

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the medulla oblongata level?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/eOsvng4QwG8

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not usually, but I once did. I had loaded some fairly hot .357 Mag ammo and went to an outdoor range late in the evening to try it out. It was just before closing time and was a place that had no facilities nor supervision. I shot 5 times at my target and went to check it out--there were 8 holes in the target. I went back and shot 5 more--there were now 15 holes! I figured there must be someone else there shooting on my target and was looking all over for him--absolutely no one around but me. It was a weird feeling, I can tell you.

Later investigation revealed that I'd loaded with hollow base wadcutters and the pressure caused some of the bullets to be cut off by the gasses severing the sidewalls as they emerged from the confines of the barrel (at the end of the hollow base); the solid nose of the bullet and the annular ring of lead that had been the hollow base both continued down to the target and made nice round holes. The lead rings made a group just a little displaced from the noses.

I did feel somewhat relieved when I discovered what the real situation was.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I've only felt like I was being watched when I was being watched.

As far as I know..................

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Years ago in college I was mountain biking alone on a little-used trail in the mountains. As I rode through a large grove of aspen trees, I just stopped and had the weirdest feeling come over me - I knew I was being stalked by a very large kitty. I never saw or heard anything, but I knew it. I quickly got out of there.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I trust the hair on the back of the head thing.

don't know if I was being watched or just warned by my hind brain...
I was following some muddy water in a ditch (part of job) up a gravel road, trying to find the source. Trailers were getting further and further apart and more and more run down. All of the sudden my hair stood on end and I decided I should turn around and leave - to hell with the job.

Nothing happended, but I'd like to think my instincts were right. Maybe a meth lab or some other bad thing going on that I didn't need to be involved in...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Last week I was at the lake property. It was during the week I was by myself and things were quiet. I was out picking my blueberry's for breakfast pancakes that morning right behind the house on the edge of the forest. Took me a minute because I was preoccupied with what I was doing but I noticed things just got completely still and quiet. No birds chirping not a breeze nothing. I stood there for a minute scanning into the woods to see if I could spot or hear something. I thought maybe a bear or wolf had come into the area but I couldn't spot or hear anything moving.

I got a pretty uncomfortable feeling. I walked back to the front of the house and started to make breakfast. I cook everything outdoors. That uncomfortable feeling stuck with me for a few hours to the point I kept turning around and looking behind me. I'm not one to spook or get paranoid but I never have had that strong of a feeling of something not being right is the best way I can explain it.

I began to think maybe something had happened to a family member and I was having a feeling of premonition or something so I called the wife for no particular reason and just chatted a few minutes and everything was fine at home. I didn't tell her about my feeling because she is paranoid and spooky about things and who knows what she would have read into it.

I guess the mind can do strange things sometimes.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
A quote from Joseph Heller, "Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you". Wink

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Last week I was at the lake property. It was during the week I was by myself and things were quiet. I was out picking my blueberry's for breakfast pancakes that morning right behind the house on the edge of the forest. Took me a minute because I was preoccupied with what I was doing but I noticed things just got completely still and quiet. No birds chirping not a breeze nothing. I stood there for a minute scanning into the woods to see if I could spot or hear something. I thought maybe a bear or wolf had come into the area but I couldn't spot or hear anything moving.

I got a pretty uncomfortable feeling. I walked back to the front of the house and started to make breakfast. I cook everything outdoors. That uncomfortable feeling stuck with me for a few hours to the point I kept turning around and looking behind me. I'm not one to spook or get paranoid but I never have had that strong of a feeling of something not being right is the best way I can explain it.

I began to think maybe something had happened to a family member and I was having a feeling of premonition or something so I called the wife for no particular reason and just chatted a few minutes and everything was fine at home. I didn't tell her about my feeling because she is paranoid and spooky about things and who knows what she would have read into it.

I guess the mind can do strange things sometimes.

If every animal suddenly got quiet - something was there. You just weren't ever able to spot it...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
He's back. I can sense it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31383 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, often. This happened a few years ago, out free diving off the beach mid week, about 6:30am before work. I'm just hanging out when I get a really strong feeling that I am not alone! I slowly turn and this guy is maybe 3' from me and drifting closer. So I turn on the go-pro I had and, well this is the rest of it.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One day I had walked into the woods behind my house and I came up on somebody's pot plants .They were in plastic buckets . I turned around and got the hell away from there quick . As I walked back into my yard I saw my creepy neighbor two doors down walking out of the woods at the same time . I checked about a week later and they were gone .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I’ve had encounters with animals several times like that. Once I was sitting on a log waiting for daylight and when it got light enough to see I had a raccoon standing on the other end of the log. The only time I ever got spooked though, I was taking a tree stand off a tree right at dark when I felt like I was being watched. I stood up and turned slowly and saw a coyote stalking me. He was less than 50 feet away and still damn near invisible in the low light. I had my head on a swivel all the way back home.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I understand the feeling you're getting, the real question is by what means are you perceiving it?

It's generally believed that your senses take in 11 million bits of information per second but your conscious mind processes about 40-50 bits per second. What happens in between? Some of the information is ignored as unimportant, some is elevated as really important and, relevant to your question, some is compressed into what we would describe as a generalized feeling--safe, danger, etc. All of that is handled by your unconscious mind, which is something like a miracle since it's also making your body function.

The "being watched" feeling (you could also call it the "caution" feeling) is, like the "danger" feeling, based on a whole bunch of disparate sensory information that you perceive but don't have time to process (and might not correctly connect if you could). It's not some hokey form of intuition--it's very real and worth paying attention to. If this is of interest to you, consider reading "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker.

Posts: 989 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, technically, I wasn’t being watched, but I didn’t know it.
A friend was having trouble with copper thieves trying to raid his plant during one Christmas holiday season. I offered to take a few turns guarding the place to let him get some rest.
I knew where all the production machines were in each of the buildings. I was slowly moving around in one of the buildings in total darkness while listening and watching for any lights. After a while, I started hearing some strange soft noises. Whoever or whatever it was was in the building with me and seemed to be very close by. A quick bump of the momentary switch on my flashlight revealed five big raccoons calmly eating some of the workers lunch leftovers while ignoring me as I stood about 6 feet away. They were let off with a mostly ineffective “get out of here.”

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post