SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any adventure motorcycle riders in this group?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any adventure motorcycle riders in this group? Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
Considering getting an adv bike. Probably a used Africa Twin. Weekend camping trips, maybe a long cross country trip once or twice a year.

I'd eventually like to ride the TAT.

Grew up on dirt bikes. Moved into street bikes in my teens. Rode some beasts into my late 20's. Then had kids and a job to occupy my time.

Now that I have some free time (and some money), looking forward to getting back in the saddle and seeing some country.

Any forums I should check out? Resources?

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I have a Yamaha Super Tenere, though I've not gone on any adventures.

Though any future adventures would be strictly to paved roads (or gravel roads where necessary).

Advrider.com is probably the best forum for this topic. Lots of ride reports and also regional subforums to meetup with other riders in your area. Also there are subforums for the various adv bike styles (largely broken up between the euro and Asian brands).

Then once you decide on your sled, each of those have their own forums as well.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have Yamaha Super Tenere with almost 80k miles on it. Advrider the AT forum seems decent.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I used to ADVride. 2000 Kawi KLR then a 2006 Suzuki WeeStrom.

The KLR was by far less expensive to keep up and upgrade, and was a pretty capable bike. The Wee was a million times better on the road though. I went from Charleston, WV to Tampa, FL in one day and felt great. The KLR on interstates was like riding an unbalanced clothes washer.

ADVrider is THE forum, aside from bike-specific ones.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adventure Rider Forum is the place to go where you'll find dozens of subforum sites for nearly every motorcycle.

My cross country ride for years was a Gold Wing. Beautiful ride on the highway but a handful in stop/go traffic.

If you decide to ride on highways, the IronButt forum is the site to explore.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2020 BMW F850GS. If I cant get there on the BMW, I just stay home!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

/^\
| Appears to only 2-4 miles...that is not much riding. Big Grin

Even Harley-Davidson is going to jump into adventure motorcycles. There should be news on January 19th, 2021 which is the dealer scheduled announcement for the new product.

Harley-Davidson Pan American

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

/^\
| Appears to only 2-4 miles...that is not much riding. Big Grin

Even Harley-Davidson is going to jump into adventure motorcycles. There should be news on January 19th, 2021 which is the dealer scheduled announcement for the new product.

Harley-Davidson Pan American

Having owned a few Harley's, I believe the Motor Company will manage to fuck up the Pan American.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an interest in a Pan American but until I can actually look at one in the HD local showroom, I will believe it when I see it. I would like to send my $$$ to Milwaukee instead of Munich. HD has been promising it for some time but so far.... Zip! Another SF member who is well placed with HD recently told me that the Pan American is actually coming, so time will tell.
And that 4 miles is 8 inches deep in sand and full of Moose! Wink

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2019 Africa Twin DCT and love it.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
How much offroad are you going to be doing? Many of those big ADV (over 900cc) are not really that much fun offroad.

If I were you I would at least take a look at the Yamaha Ténéré 700 over the Africa Twin if you are going to be doing much offroad.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advrider.com is a great place to learn a lot, and read some great ride reports. The Flea Market there is really good to buy/sell gear. Since you’re in Texas, take a look at TwoWheeledTexans.com too.
The fellow who owns/runs it keeps it a pretty good community. Lots of dual sport and adventure riders there.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
How much offroad are you going to be doing?

Probably 70% on-road. I know everything is a compromise. I'm a fairly big guy. 6'2 250. I don't mind having a bigger bike. Mostly road riding to get to some dirt roads to do some camping. Maybe some trail riding, but nothing gnarly.

The GS and KTM are probably out of my budget one you figure in maintenance/parts, etc.

I guess that leaves me with the Tiger, Tenere, or Africa Twin. Of those, I liked the AT best. I like the idea of being able to get Honda parts pretty much everywhere.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get the AT, you may want to get it resprung for your weight, especially 2up and/or fully loaded panniers. I see a lot of riders your size complaining of bottoming out. Honda apparently thinks the average size rider is about 165. I’m 180 and have preloads maxed out. I ride about 60/40 favoring dirt. I really should respring mine.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
Considering getting an adv bike. Probably a used Africa Twin. Weekend camping trips, maybe a long cross country trip once or twice a year.

I'd eventually like to ride the TAT......

My current adventure bikes are a 2021 Tenere' 700 (which I traded in my 2016 African Twin on) and a 2019 KTM 1090R. The Africa Twin was a nice piece, good power, comfortable, nice handling on all roads... dirt, curvy, and highway. If buying a used Africa Twin I would look at 2018 and up.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Ride something similar to whatever your friends or people you plan on doing ADV trips ride. You want a bike that performs similarly to theirs. No fun being the slow guy on the Highway if your riding partners are all running big bikes, even if your "little" bike performs much better/easier on the trails. Likewise, it's no fun being the guy who's bike can do 125mph on the highway, but misses out on all the fun forest single-track because riding a big ass bike sucks for narrow technical single-track.

Why does what your ADV partners ride matter? "Solo" multi-day ADV back-road riding/trail riding/camping is typically for very experienced ADV riders or masochists. When you go with others, you can split up the camping gear loads (cooking gear, tools, food/drink, toiletry, shelter, etc). Heavy loads SUCK on a motorcycle and it's always heavier when you go solo than when you go with friends and can lighten the gear loads. Plus if you have motorcycle problems, accidents, stuck, etc, you have support to help get out of trouble. Sucks being by yourself in the middle of nowhere with a broken bike, cell service or not. Even worse if you have an injury (and even minor injuries on a motorcycle like a slightly sprained ankle or wrist from a fall are pretty major problems without anyone to help with simple things like lifting a dropped motorcycle off the ground).

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ What he said! I am very careful about choosing my rides and routes. Breakdowns, crashes and injuries can turn life threatening in the Yoop pretty quickly. I want a pleasant ride not a survival course!

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You want a crash course on adventure riding, look no further than Helge Pedersen. His book 'Ten Years on Two Wheels" will give you an inside look at how it's done. I ride a 2005 BMW GS and can tell you that when the bike gets that big it's more like a Ford Explorer than it is a Jeep Wrangler. It's an extremely capable machine, but it's more suited to some kind of track rather than true off roading.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
The KLR on interstates was like riding an unbalanced clothes.

Been there.
Sold KLR and bought a 2018 AT w manual transmission.
Regarding Fort Nine review on the New Yamaha Tenere 700, have a look at the older Fort Nine review of the AT.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
Regarding Fort Nine review on the New Yamaha Tenere 700, have a look at the older Fort Nine review of the AT.

The T7 looks great, until you find out it's seriously undersprung. So you have to add the cost of new springs front/rear, shock re-valve, all the setup, etc. I'm 255lbs without riding gear and luggage. No way I can ride a stock 700.

By the time you add up all the work you gotta do, you're at Africa Twin or KTM890 pricing.

I keep going in circles trying to save a few thousand dollars, which is stupid considering I don't want to be stranded out in BFE with a busted bike.