SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another kitchen knife thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another kitchen knife thread Login/Join 
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com Just check him out, you will not be disappointed.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:

Nothing came up for me.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'll be one of the few here who recommend Cutco knives. My mother has had a set for 20+ years, sent back 2 years ago for sharpening and is great, and my wife and I have had a great set for about 7 years now, which have been excellent. I do prefer a Santouku knife to a Chef's knife, the lower point and nearly strait edge work better for me when chopping. You don't have to lift the handle as much to raise the blade an equal distance from the board.

I would recommend getting 2 pairing knives, they get used a bunch in our house for small short tasks, and often one is already dirty when you need it. Having a second available keeps things moving.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My kitchen knives are mostly old USA-made Chicago Cutlery:

100S – 3" paring
62S – 5" utility/boning
BT7 – 7" bagel/tomato (serrated)
42S – 8" chef

Possibly they don't hold an edge as well as the Shuns, but I'm well-equipped to easily sharpen them. And I love their walnut hafts – nonslip, even when wet.

The 62S has a thin, narrow blade – excellent for cutting cheese that's too hard for my cheese wire. Cheese wires are indispensable for softer cheese.

And I have a Tojjiro 10" bread knife. It easily cuts the toughest crust, yet scatters crumbs less than other bread knives that I've had.

The old Chicago Cutlery is my choice too. Make sure they have the S in the model as the newer C arent as good.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:

Sorry, kind of tired last night, thanks for pointing my error out.

http://www.caltoncutlery.com/

Custom work at honest prices and he is a student of cut.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
OK... one other item: kitchen scissors!

I have had innumerable kitchen scissors over the last sixty years of cooking. By FAR the best the Cutco!

Try the Cutco and nothing else compares!

Also, lifetime warranty...

Absolutely on the scissors! Whether it is chicken or old tee shirts, nothing beats the Cutco scissors.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Any other quality scissors equal or beat Cutco anything. They are, simply, average gear with a good warranty and a better marketing department. Categorically average, undeniably average, and it's no mystery nor even debatable. These are well known facts. Their entire model exists to get higher than deserved prices for average at best gear. It's one step short of Amway, one step above a Ginsu on TV, and that's the cold hard truth.

If you have one and it works for you, fine, but there have always been better knives for equal or less money, and Cutco has never for a day in their lives been more than average, with mediocre ergos, not the best steel, and average grinds, and are widely shunned and ridiculed by professionals and knife enthusiasts everywhere, with the occasional dissenter and supporter like here today. Please don't buy into it. Caveat Emptor fits perfectly here.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
You'll need one longer knife and usually those are also thicker and heavier. For serious chopping on big cuts of meat, etc.

a 10" breaking knife and a 6" curved boning knife will handle any piece of beef ,

neither are very thick,

not sexy, not trendy, but get the job done

https://www.kasco.com/breaking...er-chefs-knives.html

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Any other quality scissors equal or beat Cutco anything. They are, simply, average gear with a good warranty and a better marketing department. Categorically average, undeniably average, and it's no mystery nor even debatable. These are well known facts. Their entire model exists to get higher than deserved prices for average at best gear. It's one step short of Amway, one step above a Ginsu on TV, and that's the cold hard truth.

If you have one and it works for you, fine, but there have always been better knives for equal or less money, and Cutco has never for a day in their lives been more than average, with mediocre ergos, not the best steel, and average grinds, and are widely shunned and ridiculed by professionals and knife enthusiasts everywhere, with the occasional dissenter and supporter like here today. Please don't buy into it. Caveat Emptor fits perfectly here.

Harsh, blunt, and pretty accurate from my history and experience (actually made my money as a cook wayyyy back in the day).

I’m a fan of Zwilling Henckels, but realize there are even better knives to be had. That said, I think Z H and Wusthof are the top contenders when it comes to balancing cost/quality for consumers use.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I make high end Kitchen knifes, so I know a little bit about this topic - stainless is most popular because of care (or lack there of); if you really want the best edge - go carbon steel.

It forms a finer carbide structure/grain and cuts like nothing else whereas stainless forms (depending on which stainless) chromium, vanadium, niobium, tungsten, molybdenum carbides which are larger.

High carbon steel knives are really easy to take care of (despite what others say) as they will form an oxide coating which will protect it. All you need to do is rinse your carbon steel knife with hot, soapy water and dry it while warm. If ever if forms red oxides (the pitting kind, boil in hot water (blade only) for 10 minutes to convert oxides from Fe2O3 to Fe2O4 (the good oxide).

The high end KIA Shuns are cool as the often use a san mai stainless outside with a carbon steel core (sometimes a "supe steel" - fancy carbon steel). Can be a bit chippy due to high hardness, but Japanese knives are superb slicers because they are so thin - thin has it advantages if you are slicing raw fish, but boning a chicken could cause harm.

Knives are a lot like guns - no one knife will solve all your needs.

Most people go stainless, but if you ever cut with a nice carbon steel, you'd never go back. I've made them out of tool steels too - which can be quite nice. Just depends.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mention other brands equal to the Cutco scissors. Could you please give me the brand names? If you have a source, I would appreciate that as well. I will purchase a couple and try them... thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
You mention other brands equal to the Cutco scissors. Could you please give me the brand names? If you have a source, I would appreciate that as well. I will purchase a couple and try them... thanks.

All of the big name cookware makers make a decent kitchen shear. Wusthoff, All-clad, Henckels, Victorinox, Kershaw... there are lots of quality shears out there.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

I’m a fan of Zwilling Henckels, but realize there are even better knives to be had. That said, I think Z H and Wusthof are the top contenders when it comes to balancing cost/quality for consumers use.

For an all-purpose home usage, Henckel and Wusthof are solid. There's certainly better out there but, they require more knowledge and attention to the care and maintenance, not to mention cost and availability.

While carbon steel is fantastic for blades, most people are pretty bad when it comes to care and maintenance of kitchen knives. From leaving dirty knifes & cutting board out overnight, to putting them in the dishwasher for cleaning, that pretty much sums up a vast majority of home kitchens.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anyone mention Kramer knives, but have a gander at a few of them.

I am on his mailing list, but can never pull the trigger on a $600 plus auction for one of his knives. Seriously, this guy uses meteorite metal and some other crazy stuff.

http://kramerknives.com/auctions/gallery/

This one went for $32,200:

http://kitchenknifeguru.com/kr...knives-auction-time/

His damascus steel knives go for $500. PER INCH.

http://www.esquire.com/food-dr...test-kitchen-knives/

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I'll be one of the few here who recommend Cutco knives. My mother has had a set for 20+ years, sent back 2 years ago for sharpening and is great, and my wife and I have had a great set for about 7 years now, which have been excellent. I do prefer a Santouku knife to a Chef's knife, the lower point and nearly strait edge work better for me when chopping. You don't have to lift the handle as much to raise the blade an equal distance from the board.

I would recommend getting 2 pairing knives, they get used a bunch in our house for small short tasks, and often one is already dirty when you need it. Having a second available keeps things moving.

I have had my set for almost 27 years. Every 5 or 6 years, we send them back for free and they sharpen them all. In fact, the last time, they replaced 3 knives without any request from me. Buy once and buy American!

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
I didn't see anyone mention Kramer knives, but have a gander at a few of them.

I am on his mailing list, but can never pull the trigger on a $600 plus auction for one of his knives. Seriously, this guy uses meteorite metal and some other crazy stuff.

http://kramerknives.com/auctions/gallery/

This one went for $32,200:

http://kitchenknifeguru.com/kr...knives-auction-time/

His damascus steel knives go for $500. PER INCH.

http://www.esquire.com/food-dr...test-kitchen-knives/

Bob Kramer is one: a celebrity in the knife world - getting media attention at the right time. And two, does make fantastic Knives of his own secret formulas/recipes. They are remarkable blades with terrific capabilities. He is about 90 minutes from me.

He also sells his designs via license to a Zwillings and Sur la Table for much less than his hand-made ones. IIRC, he offers a $100 SS, $200 HC, and a $300 "Damascus".

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/
https://www.kitchenknifefora.com/

Just like SF, the folks on those forums will help you spend your money. All of my kitchen knives are from makers listed on those sites. I personally use all stainless knives in AEB-L, XHP, or CPM154. I'm personally not a fan of the patina on carbon knives plus I'm not worried when my wife uses them. Kitchen knives, like guns, are very personal and you'll find what you like and dislike.

I have knives from Butch Harner, Dave Martell, Cris Anderson, and Randy Haas. They all have a purpose, all vary in cost, and I love them all. If you're looking into the custom world, feel free to give me a shout.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post