SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Luminox watches.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Luminox watches. Login/Join 
posted
I've been thinking about getting a Luminox watch perhaps one of the "blackout" models but my research has turned up a lot of negative reviews. Granted some people have ended up with fakes or bought from dubious resellers so that may account for most of the problems. Unfortunately there are no local Luminox dealers or any remotely close to me so I will be buying on the intrnet.
Looking to spend up to $500.00 so I would really appreciate owners thoughts on these.
Thanks.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Get a good Seiko watch, and save some money, I have a 30 + year old divers watch, still going strong.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Contact David Truong. I bought mine from him a few years ago. I wear it daily.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MO-Sig
posted Hide Post
I have a 3051 Blackout I purchased from Mr. David Truong 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. I'm on my second band, but I like the black rubber band so I bought another one. It's very light and I can tell time in the pitch dark without glasses on. I highly recommend you correspond with David and have him send you one for your approval.

This is what happens when you stop letting kids play dodgeball in school.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fly Over Country | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2 on contact David Truong, I also bought one from him a few years ago. Love mine.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
David Truong for the win.

If you are retired or active military, you can contact Luminox directly for possible mil discount.

Do not buy from on line "Amazon", etc.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
David Truong is absolutely awesome to work with. I have had absolutely zero issues with my luminox watch that is now about 2 1/2 years old.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I bought one from a Navy Exchange last year.

I don’t like fabric bands for watches that get wet, so I picked up a black rubber band shortly thereafter. The band is flexible, but thick and tends to stick out at an angle if the keepers aren’t positioned just right near the end, and then it tends to get away from them.

That’s a minor irritant and nothing compared with the fact that if the watch is exposed to extreme temperature changes, and especially if exposed to direct sunlight, condensation forms on the inner surface of the crystal. The first time it happened I was somewhat alarmed and immediately looked into warranty service. As it turns out, however, the phenomenon is mentioned in the owners’ manual and is described as being perfectly normal(!). As I remarked here before, I guess the Navy SEALs who supposedly endorse Luminox watches don’t ever expose them to temperature changes, such as getting in and out of cold water—or perhaps being actually able to see the face and hands clearly isn’t a big deal for them. The last time it happened the condensation didn’t dissipate for nearly a day.

On the other hand, I wanted a watch that was both easy to read in the dark without turning on a light and without having an excessively bright signature. From that standpoint the watch is perfect. The tritium dial and hands markers are “on” all the time, readily visible under low light conditions, and don’t light up the neighborhood.

Would I buy one again? Probably not, but I’d be disappointed if I couldn’t find a substitute that was as easy to read in the dark.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only experience with Luminox was owning one of their military field style watches several years ago, not one of their diving/SEAL watches (no bezel). It worked fine until it stopped working. I thought the battery died, so I took it to a jewelry/watch store to have it replaced. Turned out that somehow the hands started rubbing together, eventually seizing up due to friction. Apparently it doesn't take a licking and keeps on ticking. Rather than send it in for warranty service I just had the shop fix it. It worked fine for a while, then it started having issues again. I gave up on it. I switched to a Timex Expedition, which worked very well for a number of years, until I switched to my current watch, a Casio G-Shock. I have no interest in purchasing another Luminox watch after that.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two that fell apart in just a couple of years. Both failed to last two years of everyday use.

Just junk.

My Seikos lasted much longer.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I learned after some research that there are copies/fraud Luminox watches on th market. That is why I went through David, he is an authorized dealer and his come direct from Luminox.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Luminox watches are pure hunks of freaking junk. Too expensive and they fall apart. Seriously they are a joke. I have owned 4 of them and they were the real deal not fake. To be honest, a fake one might hold up better. Seriously if you are even a little hard on watches stay away fro Luminox. Get a Marathon T-SAR instead, or a G-shock.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1271 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Luminox field watch 14 years ago. I replaced the battery about 7 years ago, and now need to replace it again. The clasp is worn but still latches.

I'd buy same again if I needed a new watch.

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not impressed with them in the least, of the 2 I've had, neither would keep proper time. Learned my lesson the hard way.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've got a 16 yr old model. Metal case sapphire crystal, metal and rubber bracelets. One trip to the mothership for battery and cleaning under warranty. Last fall I put another battery in it.

It never comes off my wrist, I don't abuse it, but it lives a blue collar life. Still looks great, still keeps time just fine.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have a sapphire crystal, field watch. Lightweight and pretty much bullet proof. Have beat it up, been in salt water at least twice a week. Just works. Not very expensive but more than their cheaper ones.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Contact David Truong. I bought mine from him a few years ago. I wear it daily.

+1. David is a great person to deal with.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google search of David Truong doesn't turn up much about watches. Is there a company name?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Google search of David Truong doesn't turn up much about watches. Is there a company name?

http://mimisjewelryinc.com

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...000015624#1000015624

https://sigforum.com/eve/person...=profile&u=801109707

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've owned the Luminox 3051BO and the Luminox Model A.6251.BO. Both were good watches. Purchased mine from World of Watches several years ago. (They are now out of business though.)

Just sold both of them (along with some other watches) after acquiring my Submariner.

My wife wears the Luminox Women's A.7065 "Colormark" Black/Pink Dial one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post