SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Luminox watches.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Luminox watches. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you prefer an analog watch you can read in the dark the Luminox is the way to go. The tritium tubes on the hands are unparalleled for brightness. And yes, buy from DT at Mimis Jewelry and tell him you are from Sigforum. He has treated me more than right several times and you will not get a fake.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I was not impressed with mine. I had the fogging issue sigfreund experienced, then the hands were damaged from my dropping the watch from less than four feet onto a wood floor. I then found out that unless you buy from one of their 'official' dealers, there is no warranty. I really liked the look, weight, and illumination of the watch I had, but never again for me. I think they are overpriced for what they are.

Dave T is in fact the bomb. If you decide to get one, get it through him.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I had one. Wasn't impressed after the stem pulled clean out (along with a bunch of microscopic rings and seals) while I was changing the time.

Bought a Traser to replace it and haven't looked back.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Luminox watches, all are in the neighborhood of 12-15 years old. They have taken some brutal treatment and still run like champs. Its a great watch from my experience. From everything thing I have read and seen here, I would go to Dave Truong if I were to buy another one.

Reactor makes a great, rugged watch as well. I have one that is about 2 years old and I am very satisfied with it.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Contact David Truong. I bought mine from him a few years ago. I wear it daily.

+1 on Dr Truong. Bought minea couple years back. First class guy as you likely know if you hang around here.

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Why do you specifically want a Luminox? There are other watches that share characteristics that may fit what you want better.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both have Luminox watches. No issues

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose I don't specifically need a Luminox brand watch but I do like the illumination features. I'm not a big watch guy and my current everyday watch has luminous hands but they were never very bright but then watch was not that expensive to begin with. I would certainly be open to other suggestions though for similar designs.

I did take everyones advice and emailed David this morning to ask about a couple of specific models.I suspected that people would point me in his direction and I appreciate all the feedback.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kxc223:
Well I suppose I don't specifically need a Luminox brand watch but I do like the illumination features.

If it's the illumination you're looking for, T100 tubes will last longer than probably anything else, but C3 paint (or even C1) will be quite a bit brighter, I believe.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
David Truong is great.

Luminox watches are meh, at best. The condensation is ridiculous and unacceptable. The tritium is awesome and easy to read. The combination is a deal killer that makes them overpriced and unusable for many. I wanted to like them but can't get past the fogging.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have the blackout, its run without problems, been on my wrist a few years off and on, It does have the fog issue from time to time, but then so does everything when you come out of a cold car into the sweltering hot humid air here.

It goes away, not a big deal, the rubber band that came with it broke while I was wearing it, replaced it with a nylon band, so far it's been what I expected, keeps time, easy to read in the dark, looks good.

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Armourlite. Love it. No issues. And touted as being brighter than Luminox. I would agree.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto............

"Contact David Truong. I bought mine from him a few years ago."

I wear it daily and never had an issue outside of normal wear and tear.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Mine was great for about 4 years then it started stopping for 10-20 minutes at a time. I have it boxed up to send to Saltzman's for repair. Likely the circuitry, per Dave Truong.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Bought one of the Navy SEAL models at the Ramstien BX in December 2001. It's back to the factory for an overhaul. It's my daily wear.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
I've recently decided to get a 3051.BO and in searching...prices and reviews are all over the place. I wouldn't mind a used one but how to tell real from fake? I suspect a lot of counterfeit and in all honesty, Luminox doesn't do a great job on the customer side from what I can see with helping. In my opinion, the blackout series is a very cool watch.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I have had one for a year, and so far so good. It is amazingly bright in the dark and the watch face is very easy to read at a glance. I had been wearing a Tag for almost 20 years (trouble free) and thought I'd get this Luminex just for some variety. I have worn it every day since I bought it. (I wish I'd known that Dave Truong is a dealer.)

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delta 2:
Luminox watches are pure hunks of freaking junk. Too expensive and they fall apart. Seriously they are a joke. I have owned 4 of them and they were the real deal not fake. To be honest, a fake one might hold up better. Seriously if you are even a little hard on watches stay away fro Luminox. Get a Marathon T-SAR instead, or a G-shock.

It was the fourth one that convinced you they are junk?

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from David T about 4 years ago. No problems with the watch but had to replace the rubber band once. Excellence watch if you need to check the time at night. Keeps good time and is comfortable on the wrist. Check with David,good people.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I had a yellow Navy Seal model from the early days, probably bought it in '97 or 98 and it was a good watch, bright illumination and lightweight.
When my son was very little ~ '04 he had it at a restaurant to keep him occupied in my lap as we finished up a group meal. He hit it against the table and the watch hand or hands came loose. I sent it to Luminox telling them exactly what happened and to tell me how much to fix it. They reset the hands for free, I think I just paid for shipping to them.

A couple of years later the battery stopped on a business trip and I tried to replace the battery. The o ring was swollen and would not go back in. The worst part was with the plastic case the screw hole stripped and I could not get the back plate to stay snug. It fogged from that point and eventually stopped working. Or I may have just given up on it don't recall. They have gotten really expensive since when I bought my first navy seal model. I had a watch guy tell me that they changed the watch motion after the first generation or two, not for the better. Can't verify any of that however.
I think I replaced the first strap on that first generation fairly quickly, with a later rubber luminox strap they lasted better.
I really liked that watch for years it just could not be reworked with the plastic case of that design.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post