SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Restaurant recommendations around Iowa City
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restaurant recommendations around Iowa City Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
Hi folks - headed to iowa city for my daughters graduation in a couple weeks and would like to have dinner with the family Friday night. Looking for a more upscale place that can seat 10

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Iowa River Power Restaurant in Coralville. Our Mustang (car) club has been there twice and they handled our group of twenty plus people with no issues.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Agree

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Agree ^^^^^^^
Graduation does overload the restaurants!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Lol thanks - i just learned were having brunch after graduation at that restaurant any other ideas for dinner the night prior?

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://places.singleplatform.c...menu?ref=integration
This place has an amazing whiskey menu and the prices are great. Food is also top notch. I'd call and ask about the table sizes.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have suggestions for restaurants, but your IL permit is good in IA. Plus you can carry in a restaurant, though I strongly suggest not drinking.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf

Looks like good - but chilly - weather for the weekend:

https://www.kcrg.com/weather/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Big grove brewery is super fun with great beer and food. They also own Pullman diner and it is really good as well.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
IDK how upscale this place would be considered, but I always like to eat at Red Ginger when I'm in the area.

http://www.redgingercoralville.com/

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa City native here. Still live and work in the area.

Iowa River Power on 1st Avenue in Coralville is the place to go. I am having my rehearsal dinner there for my wedding.

Other nice options: Tin Roost (North Liberty,) Blackstone (Iowa City, east side), Iowa Chop House (Iowa City, downtown). Those are your premiere locally owned joints that I would consider "upscale." Skip Monica's on 2nd Street in Coralville. The food is good, the owner is a fucking scumbag.

For a fun time after dinner, head to Big Grove Brewery and Taproom on South Gilbert Street in Iowa City. It's awesome, lots of big tables so sit, table/yard games, fire pits outside (when nice enough) and good bar food, plus great local beer.

Shoot me an email if you need anything else, I'm very familiar with the area.

EDIT: Just saw you're going to IRP for brunch the day after. Excellent choice.

Basta and Josephs Steakhouse (probably more pricey than you're looking for) and Orchard Green are all downtown Iowa City and good picks. Definitely make reservations like...yesterday.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will check some of these out, thanks, I get over there , four or five times a year

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54499 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are restaurants in Iowa?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Big Grin
Verbatim what a friend of mine from South side Chicago said once.

Only restaurant I could remember in the area was the Chop House, which was already mentioned.

Whenever I hit Iowa, I need to get a pork tenderloin fix.
Tenderloins the size of platters...gotta fold them over twice to almost fit on the bun.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.biaggis.com/
In Davenport, ( 70 East of Iowa City )

Posts: 54499 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes! I was shocked to learn that when we moved here 25 year ago. Even more surprising, some of the cities have - get this - paved roads!

Wait, there's more: In some of the cities there are stop signs! I've heard one or two also have traffic lights, maybe others can confirm. Smile

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there's one, but they share it with Nebraska.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30542 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info, we got a reservation at the Blackstone

posted Hide Post
And just last week we got a white porcelain thing to do your morning ablutions inside the house. Not sure how that is going to work out, it looks difficult to scoop the stuff in the bowl out to carry it to the two holer.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only restaurants I've eaten at in Iowa City/Coralville are Culvers and McDonald's one time because Culvers was closed as it was Thanksgiving. I've heard there is a university there and things, but I can't see it from I-80, so I can't verify that.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
waiting for you review of Blackstone

were the floors ,tables and chairs clean and neat ?

how was your service? prompt and courteous ?
or slow and forgetful/

was the hot food hot and the cold food cold?

was the pricing fair for the quality of the food?

was the dining room quiet and comfortable or noisy and chaotic ?

how was the parking lot ? crowded or plenty of spaces.

good neighbor hood ? or not so much ?

was the place crowded? or was it sparse ?