SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New (to us) dog has an issue standing up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to us) dog has an issue standing up Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Long story short, my wife's boxing coach moved from a house into an apartment and could not take their larger dog with them. He's a boxer mix of some sort, maybe 40 pounds or so. She posted on FB looking for someone to adopt him or she would have to take him to the county shelter. Wife wanted to see if he would get along with our dogs, he did and he's made himself at home. He's 6 years old and very tame.

Only issue is that he has a difficult time getting up after laying down. At first I thought maybe his hind leg(s) had fallen asleep but that's not the case.

Will take him to the vet, obviously, but was wondering what this could be. Once he gets up, he walks fine, we walk twice a day. I could see if he was limping and didn't want to walk, that would be a sign of pain/discomfort. But he actually likes to walk. He and our 11 year old pit bull love walking together.

Any ideas?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arthritis. Same with humans.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
"Don't panic because there are many potential causes for this issue, and most of them are highly treatable" ... https://www.cuteness.com/blog/...-up-after-lying-down

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hardwood floors or carpet?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Even only being 6?

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Tile in all common areas but we do have an area rug in there. Carpet in bedrooms and in front hallway so they can wipe their paws before coming into the house.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This help our dog with the arthritis!
https://www.cbddispensaryshop....emp-cbd-oil-for-dogs

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Even only being 6?

Yep.
My dog turned 7 in February and he's showing signs of slowing down.
Slow getting up and just generally slower at everything.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even only being 6?

Some breeds are more afflicted. Just one of the possibilites. X rays and Vet exam will tell the tale.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Had a 120lb Cane Corso that always seemed like she had an issue getting up, but that was just her, when something triggered her she was up in a flash.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Tile in all common areas but we do have an area rug in there. Carpet in bedrooms and in front hallway so they can wipe their paws before coming into the house.

The reason I asked is we have a soon to be 16 year old cattle dog that was an athlete when she was younger but now has a hard time on the slicker, non-carpeted areas. Carpet seems to be ok but tile and hardwoods are a challenge. She's otherwise in amazingly good shape.
She isn't quite so quick to react so when her (back) feet slip she has a hard time reacting quickly enough. Sometimes we can hear her trying to stand and her paws slide so it wears her out quickly.
The vet has prescribed Rimadyl for arthritis and that has worked much better than anything else. Just be sure to give with food as it can be hard on the digestive system.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Dasuquin really helped ours when she had similar issues.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post