SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want a Jeep. >>Jeep bought!<<
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a Jeep. >>Jeep bought!<< Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I drove a 2003 Wrangler Sport every day for over 13 years. In all that time, I only broke down once - something in the electrical system spiked and shut the engine off. I just had to start it back up and it was fine. That kind of reliability is on par with my Honda's and Toyotas. Oh, and it was a Chrysler Jeep.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm starting to enjoy this. As a Toyota guy, I can't help getting a kick out of some of you Jeep slanderers Big Grin

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my neighbors Jeep is still here

its yellow and would look really nice in your yard

plus, you get t make a quickie trip to AZ and enjoy driving it back Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 2013 Wrangler purchased new by me - no mechanical issues. But, it’s a 3rd vehicle.

Standard shift - pavement and dirt road driving only - no rock crawling or crazy stuff.

I’ve had the hard top off for the past 6 weeks.
Can’t wipe the smile off my face.

Just started looking at shedding two vehicles for a new 2018 Jeep.

Jeeps do seem to hold their value reasonably well.

They are fun and yes it’s a Jeep thing. Wish you well in your decision.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Pay off the Mazda. Keep it. The 2019 Wranglers will be here soon enough.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
If you can't mount a .30 cal on it, it's not really a Jeep...

Cool. I have a real jeep made by Ford then.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
at age 56, I still want one too.

Sorry, I cannot talk you out of it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The best way to get it out of your system is to buy one. I drove a YJ manual trans every day for 13 years. Even with all of its flaws, I enjoyed the Jeep and it put a smile on my face. I imagine that the new ones are better. Go for it.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Check out the Willy's Wheeler package.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I've had three jeeps, my dad has one, my brother has one, my sister has one.

Do it. Get the Jeep

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
<----- Yeah, I'm not the guy to talk you out of it. They really hold their value, so if you decide it's not for you, you won't take a huge hit.

I ordered a new 2012 JK Unlimited Sahara in July 2011, I paid $33,000 (with the Tread Lightly program, 1% below invoice). I sold it outright to a Jeep/Dodge dealer for $25,500 in September 2017 with 45,000 miles on it.

I've still got two other Jeeps and am currently considering a new JL Wrangler.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I want a Jeep... but around here they've become trendy vehichles for girls and the resale value of even the worst condition ones, are shockingly, laughably high.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you've heard the old adage, on their deathbed, very few regretted what they did but regretted what they didn't do.

Nuff said.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Jeep has no secure storage for anything, including firearms. The only gun you can carry when you are driving it is the one on you, a pistol.

If you are driving home from the range, after sighting in a rifle, and you stop at a nice place for a meal, your rifle will be stolen when you return to the vehicle.

The thieves will also have taken the doors and the top. It is how it works here in Reno.

The Jeep is a toy, not a serious vehicle for daily use. Save your money. Avoid. Buy a good European four-door sedan with trunk instead.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Best thing ever (relatively speaking of course) especially in a manual.

Love my 2014 Rubi' unlimited in manual.

Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Read Consumers Reports on Jeeps. You'll change your mind, unless you have $$$ to burn.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hume:
A Jeep has no secure storage for anything, including firearms. The only gun you can carry when you are driving it is the one on you, a pistol.

If you are driving home from the range, after sighting in a rifle, and you stop at a nice place for a meal, your rifle will be stolen when you return to the vehicle.

The thieves will also have taken the doors and the top. It is how it works here in Reno.

The Jeep is a toy, not a serious vehicle for daily use. Save your money. Avoid. Buy a good European four-door sedan with trunk instead.

Hahaha, bah. My Jeep is a daily driver with a wife and daughter. I also have two Tuffy storage boxes that i installed in the jeep that work just fine securing my pistol when needed as well as extra ammo and magazines and all my survival gear that i carry. There are also options available if one wishes to secure something as large as a rifle.

Get the darn Jeep I say.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
chongo, my last two Jeeps were bought new; a 2007 TJ which I mod'd so much with lockers, lift, etc., that while it was awesome in extreme conditions it was also almost un drivable on the highway.
And most recently a 2015 Wrangler which I ordered exactly how I wanted it (2-door, dual tops, 3.73, 6-speed manual, Trac-loc) to NOT be mod'd and be used basically how you envision and to be left stock.

I traded it last Fall with 25K.....

The good; it was absolutely trouble free, good looking, crawled on all kind of horrible abandoned dirt roads, and was fun with the top down.

The bad; with live axles both rear AND front I had forgotten how ill-handling, tippy, and choppy, these things were on the road and how every bump transmits through. Think 1969 Dodge pick up.

The premium soft top is so cumbersome, have to remove windows first, fold, and put down and back up, and so noisy, I just quit using it and left the hard-top on, which was fairly quiet.

With the rear seat there was almost no room behind it for even a briefcase. Folding it up forward gave a little more room but not m much more as the folded up seat itself takes a good bit of room. Access in and out of the rear seat is best left to a gymnast.

Long story short once the novelty wore off I hated driving the thing. For a young person or couple that really enjoy getting to remote places I think a Wrangler makes sense just remove completely the rear seat and there's a fair amount of storage. In reality a Subaru Outback or Forester offers far more functionality, better mpg, better in snow, much better ride, more interior room, for no more money.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve always wanted a Jeep. Wrangler or CJ.

The new 2018 Jeeps are hitting the lots. Nice looking, better driving, and a couple of creature comforts I’d appreciate (backup cameras and Bluetooth, top much easier to manage). I know, I know, but it’s a Jeep! lol

Again...in my mind...I want a 2 door Sport with a soft top, A/C, and one or two other options like wheel upgrade and a hitch. I want a simple Jeep. Manual transmission, manual windows and manual door locks. They still do make such a thing!!

But I’ve got three major hang ups with the 2 door. #1, I’ve got two kids, though right at the age where they’d really enjoy it (7 and 10). But a third kid isn’t completely out of the question eventually. #2, it would increase my monthly fuel cost from $50-$75 more than now, and #3 I’m not sure about how a Jeep would really do as a daily driver year round with driving 25,000 miles.

I don’t really want a 4 door, I want a 2 door. Don’t need fancy huge tires or crazy gearing. It’ll go off road, but not rock crawling.

All my life I’ve wanted one, but I’ve always picked the safe option. I don’t want to get hit by a truck next week crossing the street and die thinking that I wish I’d bought a damn Jeep.

And the wife said she doesn’t have a problem with me getting one... Eek

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
chongo, my last two Jeeps were bought new; a 2007 TJ which I mod'd so much with lockers, lift, etc., that while it was awesome in extreme conditions it was also almost un drivable on the highway.
And most recently a 2015 Wrangler which I ordered exactly how I wanted it (2-door, dual tops, 3.73, 6-speed manual, Trac-loc) to NOT be mod'd and be used basically how you envision and to be left stock.

I traded it last Fall with 25K.....

The good; it was absolutely trouble free, good looking, crawled on all kind of horrible abandoned dirt roads, and was fun with the top down.

The bad; with live axles both rear AND front I had forgotten how ill-handling, tippy, and choppy, these things were on the road and how every bump transmits through. Think 1969 Dodge pick up.

The premium soft top is so cumbersome, have to remove windows first, fold, and put down and back up, and so noisy, I just quit using it and left the hard-top on, which was fairly quiet.

With the rear seat there was almost no room behind it for even a briefcase. Folding it up forward gave a little more room but not m much more as the folded up seat itself takes a good bit of room. Access in and out of the rear seat is best left to a gymnast.

Long story short once the novelty wore off I hated driving the thing. For a young person or couple that really enjoy getting to remote places I think a Wrangler makes sense just remove completely the rear seat and there's a fair amount of storage. In reality a Subaru Outback or Forester offers far more functionality, better mpg, better in snow, much better ride, more interior room, for no more money.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve always wanted a Jeep. Wrangler or CJ.

The new 2018 Jeeps are hitting the lots. Nice looking, better driving, and a couple of creature comforts I’d appreciate (backup cameras and Bluetooth, top much easier to manage). I know, I know, but it’s a Jeep! lol

Again...in my mind...I want a 2 door Sport with a soft top, A/C, and one or two other options like wheel upgrade and a hitch. I want a simple Jeep. Manual transmission, manual windows and manual door locks. They still do make such a thing!!

But I’ve got three major hang ups with the 2 door. #1, I’ve got two kids, though right at the age where they’d really enjoy it (7 and 10). But a third kid isn’t completely out of the question eventually. #2, it would increase my monthly fuel cost from $50-$75 more than now, and #3 I’m not sure about how a Jeep would really do as a daily driver year round with driving 25,000 miles.

I don’t really want a 4 door, I want a 2 door. Don’t need fancy huge tires or crazy gearing. It’ll go off road, but not rock crawling.

All my life I’ve wanted one, but I’ve always picked the safe option. I don’t want to get hit by a truck next week crossing the street and die thinking that I wish I’d bought a damn Jeep.

And the wife said she doesn’t have a problem with me getting one... Eek

“Premium hard top is hard to put down”

???

I flop it back in about 10 seconds. I put it all the way down in less than 5 minutes.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The new model soft tops are night/day different from all prior. Much easier to handle.

https://youtu.be/-YBe_8hYS98

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post