SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want a Jeep. >>Jeep bought!<<
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a Jeep. >>Jeep bought!<< Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I’ve always wanted a Jeep. Wrangler or CJ.

I’ve always chosen to keep an economic vehicle instead. Currently it’s a Mazda 3 hatchback with a 2.5L motor and 6 speed, getting 30-35 mpg. I average 25,000+ a year. It’s not paid off, but I have a few thousand in equity.

In my mind I’d be perfect with an old CJ5 to putt around in around town. But we don’t have room for one currently and I’d want to drive it all the time anyway lol

The new 2018 Jeeps are hitting the lots. Nice looking, better driving, and a couple of creature comforts I’d appreciate (backup cameras and Bluetooth, top much easier to manage). I know, I know, but it’s a Jeep! lol

Again...in my mind...I want a 2 door Sport with a soft top, A/C, and one or two other options like wheel upgrade and a hitch. I want a simple Jeep. Manual transmission, manual windows and manual door locks. They still do make such a thing!!

But I’ve got three major hang ups with the 2 door. #1, I’ve got two kids, though right at the age where they’d really enjoy it (7 and 10). But a third kid isn’t completely out of the question eventually. #2, it would increase my monthly fuel cost from $50-$75 more than now, and #3 I’m not sure about how a Jeep would really do as a daily driver year round with driving 25,000 miles.

I don’t really want a 4 door, I want a 2 door. Don’t need fancy huge tires or crazy gearing. It’ll go off road, but not rock crawling.

All my life I’ve wanted one, but I’ve always picked the safe option. I don’t want to get hit by a truck next week crossing the street and die thinking that I wish I’d bought a damn Jeep.

And the wife said she doesn’t have a problem with me getting one... Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Get one.

I bought a 2017 JKUR RECON 6 spd Manual.

I grin every time I get in the darned thing.

Love it. Even better in the warm months when I drop the soft top.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Will SOMEBODY talk this man into getting a jeep! Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Owning a Jeep ('92 YJ) was the best vehicular time of my entire life. Never felt more alive, man. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

A Jeep is not a car. It's a Way of Life.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my neighbor has a Jeep and wants to sell it...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
If you can't mount a .30 cal on it, it's not really a Jeep...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is this an extra, occasional use vehicle, or a replacement for the car? A Wrangler wouldn't make a terrible "only" ride. You can get all the creature comforts (A/C, power windows and locks, etc.) in them if you want, and they drive reasonably well with stock tires and suspension. A CJ, if you can even find one in decent shape, should be relegated to "toy" use. They are unstable even in a straight line and roll easily.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
It's a Chrysler, and friends don't let friends buy Chrysler.

If you want an older one to drive on the weekends and go trail riding, go for it. But don't buy a Chrysler.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say go for it! You want it, can afford it, it works with the family right now and you have the wife's go ahead!

If you have a 3rd kid in a few years maybe you sell it, maybe you keep it and buy a cheap daily driver, who knows?

I was just snooping around, the "Willys Wheeler" model looks sweet.

https://www.jeep.com/limited-e.../willys-wheeler.html

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I had a Cherokee and while it did Jeep things above and beyond the quality and reliability was the worse of any vehicle I have ever owned. As a back up vehicle yes as a everyday driver I would never own a Jeep again.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife talked me into selling my 2-door Wrangler SE and buying a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. After having had three 2-doors, I am sold on the four door model.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
It's a Chrysler, and friends don't let friends buy Chrysler.

If you want an older one to drive on the weekends and go trail riding, go for it. But don't buy a Chrysler.

Ugh.

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Do it.

Do it.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know. I'm a Toyota guy; have had two 4x4 pickups. Love 'em to death. But you describe a different yearning. Sounds like you need a Jeep. One of your own concerns, though, is a real concern and worth considering: how you would like it as a daily driver. Jeeps are not the best option in that respect, and how you'll fare will have a lot to do with your temperament and preferences and responses to comfort and drivability.

I have a suggestion. Wander on over to the forum at tacomaworld.com. Look up some threads on Tacomas vs. Jeeps. You'll get some good information and thoughts about the pros and cons of both. Unless, of course, your heart is set on a Jeep come hell or high water, and you are just looking for "permission", or a kick in the ass. In that case, you know what you want to do, and I'd say, go for it.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get one, get the four door. You’ll never regret having the extra room.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Check out wrangler forum

If you dare

I’ve owned a bunch of suv’s And trucks (Toyota truck 4x4, Isuzu trooper, fj40, Touareg, etc). Still own a 2010,Ram 1500.

Never had as much fun than I have in a Jeep. Just a blast to drive.

And then there is the Jeep wave. It’s kind of like SigForum only in person.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
J.ust
E.mpty
E.very
P.ocket

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Get a CJ or YJ for 'simple'. Even a TJ is pretty basic. The later models start to have too many bells and whistles IMO.

I get to play with the wife's '95 YJ. It's a blast. However, as a DD it can get old pretty quick. Glad I only drive it a couple times a week...

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Buy a goat instead, cheaper and rides about the same!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Do it.

Do it.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post