SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mailbox war, input for damage proof mailboxes...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mailbox war, input for damage proof mailboxes... Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I got tired of digging and replacing broken post after the third time at my old house. I was required to place my box across the street. The owner across the street had the say as to where my box had to be... he specified near the corner, along with his. He was on a corner lot and didn't want a box in front of his house. Funny thing was, his usually got taken out along with mine, and the stop sign and the street sign when someone cut the corner short, like with a big truck or someone with a trailer. They NEVER stop.

I filled a milk can with three 60lb bags of concrete with a rebar cage in it, leaving a 4 inch hollow core created by a shipping tube in the center. A standard 4x4 post fits in it and can swivel in the base if the box is hit. If the post is hit it simply knocks the whole thing over and it can just be stood back up. The box might be dented but that's fairly easy and cheap to fix or replace.

Made one for myself and one similar for my daughter. Since I made them hers has been knocked over twice and mine once, with almost no damage done.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have not had a problem out here where we live, but vandals would have a problem with ours. The box itself is an overzize USPS approved, and it is 3/16" steel. The stand is self-welded and sunk into 2 feet of concrete. No problems so far, in 15 years.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't ya think you ought to mount your mailbox a foot further in from the street if 3 different cars accidentally hit it with their side mirrors? I don't think people are leaving the side mirrors to their car on your grass as a prank........ honestly I'd buy the cheapest mailbox you can buy and mount it as gingerly as you can so it just gets knocked off and you put it right back up with zip ties or something easy........

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
As long as the area is safe to drive off the road, you can set your mailbox back a few feet and your postal worker shouldn't have an issue with it. Just make sure the box is at the approved height.

As for making the box itself hit-proof, I've seen smaller boxes inside larger cement-filled ones done. The outsides are obviously targets by vandals, but the interior box is just fine. I haven't seen any swing-away boxes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
There is a certain liability attached to a hardened mailbox if it causes injuries. Just a FWIW.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
There is a certain liability attached to a hardened mailbox if it causes injuries. Just a FWIW.

+1000 lawsuit I was going to post what you posted. Someone gets killed or hurt bad you might be in deep shit

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Where I once lived, teenagers liked to drive down the street and wack mailboxes with a baseball bat. Upon advise by my attorney, I did not put up a reinforced mailbox because if any harm came to a kid, I would be held liable.

Solution, each evening I put two open pint cans of enamel in the mailbox - one black and the other yellow - and removed them the next morning.

After about two weeks, I had to replace my mail box again, but this time I had to smile thinking about how a car of teenagers were going to explain the new exterior, and probably interior, paint job and the clothes, etc.

Last mailbox I had to replace. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cite cases.

If the mailbox does not violate locale, county, state etc. laws or regulation as to construction materials or setback, which vary widely in any given place, the old "if it cause injuries" saw, is pap.

Check you local criteria and build accordingly.

If some twit swings a bat and breaks his arm, it's on him/her, and too bad for them.

Unless it's for the chirrenz, then we must be careful not to offend.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't take this as advice , I'm just relating an experience...
Laws vary place to place and the advice we received is decades old now so...

Years ago and My Dad's attorney stated that you have no responsibility to insure your box won't injure someone if they hit it.

This came up after a potential customer needed a brick drive entrance repaired after it was hit by a car and the driver was killed.

Dad was asked for a repair quote. Repair cost to be covered by the deceased drivers liability Ins. My Dad ended up not submitting a bid, just didn't want any part of it and had bigger fish to fry anyway.

IIRC the way it was explained was, If someone runs off the road and hits your house it's totally on them, Agree? The same applies if they run off the road and hit a tree, a light pole, or a parked car... or your mailbox. It would require either negligent or criminal action by someone to do that. They are negligent if they run off the road, or criminally responsible if done intentionally. That weighs heavily in your favor.

Anyway, to avoid any POTENTIAL hassel, and not wanting to actually hurt someone over a mailbox, I just made mine a form of breakaway.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
When we were kids, a friend's family mail box was always being hit and run over by some of the local jack offs. Their house was located on a corner lot with their mail box was sitting at the corner point. It was in a nice little flower garden that was the pride of my buddy's mother. After their mail box was hit for the third time that year, my buddy's father had had enough. The father was a former US Navy Seabee and now worked at the local steel forge and foundry. He was not one to be messed with. What the father did was re-engineer their mail box post using a piece of armor plate steel bar stock having a "V" cross section. He then anchored everything into a six foot deep footing of concrete. When completed, everything looked pretty nice in that flower garden. Well, about a month later the local dumb a$$es tried to run the mail box over, again. I've never seen a '55 Chevy torn in half before. It looked kind of cute when arranged around a mail box in a pretty flower garden.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A local True Value used to sell mail boxes that were welded from 1/4" steel. They must have weighed a ton. I don't know if they were made locally or something the chain carried.

What I've always wanted to make, and started to last time I had to replace my mailbox pole, but got lazy and stopped.... is a telescoping mailbox post. The way my street is laid out, the snow plows don't come anywhere near my mailbox, despite it being right on the road. When it snows I end up shoveling a 3-5 feet, by 15-20 long section of deep heavy snow plow thrown snow, just so I will get mail. I thought if I made one that telescoped I could just pull it out a few feet closer to the road till spring.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
I live on a rural road. 3 times in the last 6 months our mailbox has been pulverized by passing vehicles. I have two of the three side mirrors to prove it. I've replaced the mailbox once already and beaten it back into usable shape the other two times with my trusty ball peen. We come back from vacation and it's happened again!

You might consider moving your mailbox away from the road a bit more. If your neighbors aren't having the same problem, moving your box a bit might be the best solution.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:

+1000 lawsuit I was going to post what you posted. Someone gets killed or hurt bad you might be in deep shit
I would listen to this advice, but I am not a lawyer.

I was having problems similar to the OP so I investigated fortified mailboxes. An internet search revealed that most county road commissions have regulations requiring that your mailbox & post must be of a breakaway-type design.

My search was something like "Mailbox Regulations Kalamazoo County". Most of the regulations for other counties have almost exactly the same wording so no doubt they come from some sort of cookie cutter template.

Like I said, I can't give legal advice, but I would think you are on thin ice if you don't follow these regulations.

Yes, I've had my box knocked over 5 or 6 times in the last 20 years. I did set it back off the road a little more and that helped tremendously. Some day I may look into a swing arm type support, but nothing that would intentionally cause damage to a vehicle or injury to its occupants.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Cite cases.

If the mailbox does not violate locale, county, state etc. laws or regulation as to construction materials or setback, which vary widely in any given place, the old "if it cause injuries" saw, is pap.

If some twit swings a bat and breaks his arm, it's on him/her, and too bad for them.

http://articles.orlandosentine...nt-county-ordinances

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 to 10 inch Drill Stem, set 5 feet deep with cement.

guy I knew had a collection of bats and chains. Almost had a pickup truck for the collection but the chain did break before he got out to make claim.

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
one of my grandmothers was a teacher...

more than once a year her mailbox got smashed...

my dad was a well driller/plumber..

dad welded up a mailbox that looked like a regulation mailbox but was constructed of 1/4" steel..

he had the car body guy next door paint it all pretty and he then set it on a steel 4x4 steel channel.. and buried it in about four bags of concrete...

Mailbox baseball season ended after that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
When they repave a State road here in Louisiana I've notice the construction companies put up break away poles now. Must be for a reason might be La. state law.

If you build something and put it in the right of way that could kill I would worry about it.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Not cheap but if you want something secure, the Armadillo model, https://www.jaycomailboxes.com/ is very good.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
When I was a Firefighter there were two young guys going around at night hitting mailboxes with bats. Well they got caught one night by the dumbest Sheriff Deputy that we ever had. His daddy was the Sheriff is the reason he worked there.
So they sent them to me at the Fire Dept. to do community service. So I asked them how did they get caught by the dumbest LEO in the Parish.
They said they were fixing to hit a box and saw a car coming but it only had one headlight so they knew it wasn't a cop. So they hit it and guess what he turned on his red lights and busted them.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Cite cases.

http://articles.orlandosentine...nt-county-ordinances

That is what my reply states. Q.E.D.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post