SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else not care for tenderloin?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else not care for tenderloin? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like tenderloin bits served with a peppercorn dipping sauce. Or bulgogi using tenderloin slices.

Steaks, I’ll order ribeye or New York strip before tenderloin.

Don’t like pork tenderloin.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Zero flavor.

Except for the urine. Big Grin

Makes me wonder what your local deer have for a diet. Zero snark, here. Has to be something rather nasty they're regularly consuming that's flavoring the meat that badly. The tenderloin from the venison where I lived in (actual) upstate New York tasted somewhat sweet and savory, like the corn and alfalfa they ate just before the season. Widely and easily known as the best cut, or so I thought until this thread.

At a guess, I'd say a lot of juniper berries...and yes, they will give the meat of game which eats them as a staple an unpleasant flavor.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tastes like Urine?

What on Earth are you talking about?

I have never heard that in my life until just now.

Elk, Deer, Pork, Beef Tenderloin, I've had it all countless times, including (White Tail) Deer today. Never, ever, tasted Urine.

Weird.

Smile

If only one could breed a deer with nothing but Backstrap and Tenderloin...

Colorado Mule Deer do eat a ton of Sage and taste it, too. Still, no Urine flavor.

That said, in Beef, I prefer RibEye over all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I once found myself in a flat in Paris with a Greek woman that spoke not one world in English, who cooked me a meal (Too long of a story for this thread).

Any way, she had tenderloin stakes, seared perfectly on the outside, with just enough pink on the inside, wrapped in bacon, and topped with a dusting of some form of gravy like seasoning.

Maybe it was the Ouzo, but it was the tastiest piece of meat I have ever put down my throat.

The entire experience was urine free.

So, if you've never experienced such a culinary masterpiece, I am sad for you.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
This is no place for a pissing contest.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I like beef tenderloin ok but I do think it has a lot less flavor than other cuts. At home when we have steak, my wife and son will usually have filet. I prefer skirt steak or flap meat myself or most high end cuts of steak.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Deer tenderloins are the first to come out of the deer for us. We cook them up the same night. Cut them up in inch and a half medallions, and saute them in butter, onions, and a little lawrey's.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another who doesn't like Fillet, if I get a Porterhouse I'll eat the strip and give the dog the fillet.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody else not care for tenderloin?
If you don't like tenderloin, what do you use for Beef Wellington?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'd rather eat deer tenderloin than the finest ribeye I ever had.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you are getting a urine taste or smell from Beef, then you may be the issue, esp if it is store bought beef,

tenderloins are usually aged 14-21 days before shipped to be cut, likely less in the newer stores that do not cut beef in store (have it shipped in already cut and packaged,(walmart aldis etc)19 yrs, was in the business over 35,
only times we smelled any urine was processing lamb or beef kidneys, and that was 30 yrs ago,,

by you, I mean you may have a deficiency or other issue, and it just smells or tastes that way to you, (cilantro tastes like soap to me)

do you season at all before you cook? if so, stop,

I was a meat cutter/butcher/manager for over

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
This is no place for a pissing contest.

Smile

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I likes the tenderloin of the deer around here (MidSouth), but ours get a different diet than the ones you have there. Also makes a difference for me whether it's a rutting buck or a yearling doe, as the does are much preferred dinner fare.

I always go get the tenderloin first, and unless we have firm plans for the night, we feast on those that same day. I don't gut my deer to get to them, though. I saw a video of hanging them upside down and making an inverted "V" shape in the abdominal muscles near the inguinal area, when done properly the guts are all down by the diaphragm and out of your way while you whittle out the tasties....

Different rabbit hole, but I saw another video of a hunter who deboned all of his venison while hanging, and that's the way I've done mine now for over 10 years. Gotten to be second nature now, and a good sharp knife makes quick work of them. Can't recall the name of the guy, except maybe associated with a PA hunter's website, and the guy had one arm that was immobile the whole time (though no mention was made of it). Look it up, it's interesting.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elk Tenderloin cooked properly is about the best cut of meat there is, IMHO. Beef Tenderloin, while tender, tends to be bland and needs marinade to give it flavor.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the deer isn't even cold yet before we take the tenderloins out and toss them on the grill. Smile

How do you remove the bladder from the deer?
You could be getting deer urine all over the meat when you're removing it.

We started leaving them in until we get it back to camp and hung up. Then we carefully cut the pelvic bone and then pull the bladder out and down away from the rest of the meat.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Elk Tenderloin cooked properly is about the best cut of meat there is, IMHO. Beef Tenderloin, while tender, tends to be bland and needs marinade to give it flavor.

Agreed, elk is very tender and good. Due to lack of marbling, the beef tenderloin isn't as flavorful for me as the ribeye, for example, so that's where I spend my $$.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I think he's trolling us, right?

Otherwise --- Burn the Witch!! :-)

Elk tenders are even more amazing than the backstraps!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Every Elk tenderloin meal I've had from the West Glacier MT area has been super delicious!!

Filet Mignon beef is more or less the only steak I ever buy and grill. Sometimes NY Strips.

Tempted to send you some cash for some Elk tenderloin! It's been a while

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The tenderloin/filet mignon is my 2nd favorite cut for a beef steak, after the ribeye. A dry aged prime cut is a superb (but expensive) meal. And I agree with V-Tail, a properly made Beef Wellington is to die for.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
So, you're gonna karma off all of your tenderloin and backstrap from here on out? Smile