SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else not care for tenderloin?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else not care for tenderloin? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I really don't know what you mean by the urine flavor.

But I think tenderloins, especially beef, are overrated. Weak flavor, and I like a more steak-ey texture. Give me a strip.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can tell you one thing- any further mention of "urine" in this thread and I'm locking it.

Ridiculous

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Filet and tenderloin are soft and buttery but hardly the standard bearer for big beefy flavor. They typically need a sauce but do not have stand alone flavor like a ribeye, porterhouse or skirt or flank steak.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm very particular about how beef tenderloin is cooked when I occasionally eat it, very good with a slight char and a step rarer than say a strip. I don't eat it much, mainly because I don't consider it worth the premium over strip.

I once won as part of a prize in a team triathalon, a smoked beef tenderloin. To me, it is the wrong cut of meat to smoke and it is most suitable for grilling. Since it is lean, butter or a sauce with lots of butter, goes well with it.

Pork tenderloin is excellent grilled following a marinade in a soy sauce based marinade.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:At home when we have steak, my wife and son will usually have filet. I prefer skirt steak or flap meat myself or most high end cuts of steak.

Skirt and Flap steak used ot be one of the hidden secrets of good beef. Unfortunately the word got out and the prices have gone up

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a good marinade. I don't normally do venison but a combo of a whiskey beef or teriyaki pork marinade could work...

-whiskey
-teriyaki and/or soy sauce
-fresh lime or citrus juice
-fresh garlic
-fresh ginger
-salt, pepper
-water, as needed to submerge tenderloin for min 1 hour

or try a southwest dry rub, something like...

-chili powder
-paprika
-garlic powder
-oregano
-cumin
-black pepper
-sea salt
-cayenne pepper

Could have some venison tacos!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
People who don't like tenderloin shouldn't be allowed to live.

An argument could be made that they are not! Big Grin

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Maybe try a good marinade. I don't normally do venison but a combo of a whiskey beef or teriyaki pork marinade could work...

-whiskey
-teriyaki and/or soy sauce
-fresh lime or citrus juice
-fresh garlic
-fresh ginger
-salt, pepper
-water, as needed to submerge tenderloin for min 1 hour

or try a southwest dry rub, something like...

-chili powder
-paprika
-garlic powder
-oregano
-cumin
-black pepper
-sea salt
-cayenne pepper

Could have some venison tacos!

I do pork tenderloin often. I needs a good marinaide IMO. I've found a good Mojo marinaide seems to pair best with it. But Terryaki or Italian Dressing and some seasoning salt are good too.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Maybe try a good marinade.
Could try 2 hour to overnight milk marinade/soak as they're known not to dry out meat like an acidic marinade, and more importantly remove any "gamey" taste.

Also, make sure you're removing the silver skin during your butchering.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's funny really, as I like it on a porterhouses and T-bones. But, on its own, and I don't know why, there is always that rank taste to it regardless of whether I marinate, grill, fry, ...whatever.

Early on, with game, I figured maybe I nicked the bladder when gutting it. After years of doing it though, and knowing full well that I didn't nick the bladder, it had to be something else. So, like I said, I've tried every variation one can imagine and still I get that taste. Not with the steaks though.

I don't know. I'll just avoid them from here on.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
Do you cut them out right away before letting the deer/elk hang? Do that and then clean/trim them up. Soak them in cold salt water to draw blood out. Freeze them and then when you are ready to cook (I always grill them) put them in a marinade the day before. It is my favorite! My husband is not usually fond of them either, but he does like them grilled with the marinade I mix up. He even takes them cold in his lunch.

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not just deer. Anything.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not just deer. Anything.

OK I've been wondering if you were talking about venison only or beef.

I have to say, that's just nuts. It has the most mild flavor of any of the cuts, be it from deer or steer.

Great grandpa used to make venison biscuits out of the loins, melted like butter in the mouth.

Very simple. Breaded and fried cut about 1/4-3-8" thick slices. On a Pillsbury (or whatever brand) biscuit. So simple, but so yummy. Once cooked ended up being kind of like a chicken fried steak biscuit.

Sadly, I never got the recipe and it's lost forever, but probably not hard to recreate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Not my favorite cut in beef, but is my favorite in game animals.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is just weird. I can agree that tenderloins aren't as flavorful as other cuts, simply because of the low fat content, they are very good and tender when cooked to med-rare to rare. One of the best and most memorable meals I've ever had was moose loin medallions with a mushroom and capers sauce. My mouth waters every time I think about it.

Admittedly my favorite cut is ribeye with prime rib a close second but I'll never turn down a tenderloin when offered.

I wonder if you have some kind of chemical imbalance that causes your issue with low fat cuts. I just can't understand it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Admittedly my favorite cut is ribeye with prime rib a close second ....

Jim

Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
When I read the thread title, I thought you were referring to one of these...a staple here in Indiana. I couldn't believe that it was possible for someone to not like a good tenderloin!

That said, I'm also a big fan of what we commonly refer to as "backstrap". It's particularly good wrapped in bacon (but then again, what isn't?).

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That thing is a heart attack waiting to happen......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Well, somebody take Gustofer up on his offer, have them shipped to you, and tell us if he's crazy or not?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Name your price Gustofer! I'll take two!

Speaking of Elk, anyone tried Elk Heart? I had the good fortune to spend a week at a hunting camp in the Bob Marshall Wilderness one fall, and (I wasn't hunting, just along for the ride) and the cook cooked up some elk heart from one someone shot that day. It was interesting.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post