SIGforum
400 years of slavery? I think their math is fuzzy.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2380069274

July 31, 2020, 07:49 PM
sigspecops
400 years of slavery? I think their math is fuzzy.
Uh...you're forgetting that they're still slaves. So thats at least 200 years.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
July 31, 2020, 07:49 PM
Edmond
How long into this conversation did it take for them to call you a racist?

July 31, 2020, 08:08 PM
darthfuster
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Tim Kaine (Hilary's running mate) recently told us that the US didn't "inherit" slavery, the US "created" slavery. So slavery didn't exist in the world until the US was formed. Don't liberals tell us the US was formed for the purpose of promoting slavery?

And that probably started in 1492 with Christopher Columbus (Columbus was evil you know).

If that idiot does not know that the US did NOT CREATE SLAVERY, then he is more of an idiot than I thought.

It's not that he believes it. He knows the ignoramuses will believe it and be too lazy or bigoted to fact check it. In this way he multiplies himself with thousands of useful idiots who will hate America and work to damage her.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
July 31, 2020, 08:16 PM
flashguy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
Huh...guess Tim Pain hasn't read much about ancient Egypt. Seems those pyramids didn't build themselves, unless the aliens built them. What a complete ass-hat.....

The pyramids weren't built by unionized construction workers? Smile
I seem to have watched a show on the History channel that indicated the workers on the pyramids were well fed, housed, and paid.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
July 31, 2020, 08:23 PM
architect
quote:
quote:
^^^^^
Huh...guess Tim Pain hasn't read much about ancient Egypt. Seems those pyramids didn't build themselves, unless the aliens built them. What a complete ass-hat.....

Weren't they laid down, layer-by-layer like some kind of giant 3D printer? How they hell is a human slave supposed to lift one of those giant stones? C'mon man!
July 31, 2020, 08:24 PM
Just another brainwashed sheep parroting the NY Slime's agenda.. There is no hope for these idiots.

Q

July 31, 2020, 08:25 PM
Oat_Action_Man
quote:
quote:
^^^^^

As an aside:

To be fair to the Egyptians (who did own slaves), the pyramids, at least the great pyramids you're thinking of, were not built by slaves. In fact, they were built by something like unionized construction workers. Smile They were highly paid, lived in pretty decent houses purpose built for them, and were largely highly skilled.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
July 31, 2020, 08:26 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:I seem to have watched a show on the History channel that indicated the workers on the pyramids were well fed, housed, and paid.

flashguy

People conveniently forget, that the pharaohs were viewed as religious deities, their ascension to the afterlife meant good things for those in the living world. To work on the pyramids was no different than working on the big/ornate cathedrals in Europe; your hard work will be rewarded in the next life. The big-3 in Giza were built in/around 2500BC, absolute rule and a caste system were well entrenched governing pilars, the mere idea of free-will was well off in the distance.

Then again, slavery was widely practiced throughout the world so, it'd be foolhardy to believe such big projects did not have slave labor or some level of indentured servitude involved.
July 31, 2020, 08:39 PM
Fredward
More than their math. According to 23 and Me, 400, 000 of 12.5 million slaves were sent to the US. 8.5 million went to South America. They blame US?
July 31, 2020, 08:47 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
quote:
^^^^^

As an aside:

To be fair to the Egyptians (who did own slaves), the pyramids, at least the great pyramids you're thinking of, were not built by slaves. In fact, they were built by something like unionized construction workers. Smile They were highly paid, lived in pretty decent houses purpose built for them, and were largely highly skilled.

That's a giant false there. The foreman maybe, the designers for sure, but the slave laborers were not. Hell I celebrate every year the Exodus from Egypt where my forefathers escaped from Egyptian slavery.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
July 31, 2020, 09:07 PM
Scoutmaster
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:. . . Hell I celebrate every year the Exodus from Egypt where my forefathers escaped from Egyptian slavery.

~40 years ago I worked with a fellow, his father was in the leadership of Egypt. The coworker told me flat out, the Jews were never in bondage in Egypt back in Biblical times. The Egyptians kicked them out because the Jews were always living on welfare, the Egyptians couldn't afford it anymore. (The coworker did/said a lot of things I didn't agree with, but that's the story he learned growing up in Egypt.)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944
July 31, 2020, 10:11 PM
Skins2881
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:. . . Hell I celebrate every year the Exodus from Egypt where my forefathers escaped from Egyptian slavery.

~40 years ago I worked with a fellow, his father was in the leadership of Egypt. The coworker told me flat out, the Jews were never in bondage in Egypt back in Biblical times. The Egyptians kicked them out because the Jews were always living on welfare, the Egyptians couldn't afford it anymore. (The coworker did/said a lot of things I didn't agree with, but that's the story he learned growing up in Egypt.)

There's a chance the Bible is false as well as the Torah, hell, I wasn't there. Maybe it's time to edit the Bible.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
July 31, 2020, 10:18 PM
erj_pilot
^^^^^
Because it's a "living, breathing document", right?? Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
August 01, 2020, 05:58 AM
Oat_Action_Man
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
quote:
^^^^^

As an aside:

That's a giant false there. The foreman maybe, the designers for sure, but the slave laborers were not. Hell I celebrate every year the Exodus from Egypt where my forefathers escaped from Egyptian slavery.

If you think Jews built the pyramids, you're only off by a millennium, give or take a few centuries. Wink

The evidence that the workers on the pyramids were free and well off is substantial. It's textual and archaeological. The possibility of the Jews being slaves in Egypt (for which there is no evidence outside the Bible) is irrelevant to the fact of the status of pyramid workers.

Moses post-dates the last built pyramids by centuries, and the Great Pyramid by like 1200 or 1300 years.

Just sayin'.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
August 01, 2020, 06:33 AM
cas
Of course the very poor generally don't leave behind much documentation.

Sort of like thousands of years from now, experts saying "The people who worked for Amazon made millions of dollars a year."

August 01, 2020, 06:45 AM
sigfreund
Thanks, Oat_Action_Man. It’s always interesting to me to see how muddled ideas about history can become. And of course it doesn’t help when analyzing and criticizing some accounts is taboo except among a few scholars. Even if, however, the various bibles and Torah were completely accurate historical accounts, where do they mention the pyramids?

Here is one discussion by a rabbi.

Do some elements of our society still claim that figures like Cleopatra, Nefertiti, Tutankhamun, and the builders of the pyramids were black, sub-Saharan Africans who somehow abandoned Egypt at some point, leaving it to be occupied by the people who live there now?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 01, 2020, 06:49 AM
kramden
So sick of this OLD slavery crap. Democrats need to keep this pot all stirred up forever. They need to keep the black community down and depressed.
August 01, 2020, 07:57 AM
Skins2881
quote:
If you think Jews built the pyramids, you're only off by a millennium, give or take a few centuries.

The evidence that the workers on the pyramids were free and well off is substantial. It's textual and archaeological. The possibility of the Jews being slaves in Egypt (for which there is no evidence outside the Bible) is irrelevant to the fact of the status of pyramid workers.

Moses post-dates the last built pyramids by centuries, and the Great Pyramid by like 1200 or 1300 years.

Just sayin'

Egyptians used slave labor was my point. Not that Jews built the pyramids, at least not the same ones that are in Exodus, it's maybe possible they were descendants of them, but I doubt it.

Second point the pyramids builders may have included skilled workers, in fact there'd be no way to build them without designers, engineers, artists, masons, foreman and other skilled workers. Those people obviously would have been skilled labor or the pyramids would be a quarter of their height and would have failed thousands of years ago. Just like a skyscraper is built today. There are a number of very educated people leading teams of other smart people, who lead teams of very skilled people, who lead teams of laborers. If there were slaves today, they'd be hauling bricks and be trained to do the mundane tasks involved in building a skyscraper.

The same would have held true thousands of years ago with half (or whatever percentages) acting as the skilled workers, and the other half acting as the bulldozers and other heavy equipment. Artists and engineers were not hauling 20 ton bricks through the desert.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
August 01, 2020, 10:15 AM
signewt
quote:
the very poor generally don't leave behind much documentation.

The contention I've heard argued is, that the slag heaps of the core urban blight is a form of documentation.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

August 01, 2020, 10:28 AM
tacfoley
Let's not overlook the handy fact that the Arabs, major movers in the Pan-African slave trade, actually went to the all the trouble of inventing a whole new language, Swahili, so that slave traders from all over African could talk to each other.