SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    400 years of slavery? I think their math is fuzzy.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 years of slavery? I think their math is fuzzy. Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I just got into it with someone about American slavery. His claim is that there have been 400 years of slavery in the United States. Now, If the first slaves were brought to N. America on a Dutch ship in 1619 and the emancipation proclamation occurred in 1863, that is 244 years of slavery. Furthermore if the United States was established in 1776 England is responsible for 157 of those years and the US continued for 87 years of slavery until it was officially abolished. Sure the South rebelled and there were several years of continued slavery, but the US transitioned relatively quickly away from slavery. 87 years. The US is accountable for 87 years, not 400. Sheesh!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29578 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There you go again, using logic and such when the other person is running on emotions.

Ya oughta know better, know what I mean? Roll Eyes

Posts: 11806 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative. For them... the US Civil War never happened, 13, 14, 15, & 24th Amendments didn't happen, Brown v Board of Ed didn't happen, the 1964 & 1965 Civil Rights Act didn't happen.

The people exposing this narrative, are desperate to be apart of a movement which they can stake their identity to, even if it means picking at healing scabs and scars which have held over time; they're desperate to be aggrieved. Many are willfully ignorant of history and the perspective surrounding such. Some are going so far as to want to re-litigate history which is past and settled, its an amazing display of ignorance and stupidity.

The NYT is pushing very hard to legitimize and give voice & platform to their 1619 Project which is pushing this narrative. Many elected officials who are looking for more fuel for the Woke Train, are looking to this program for ammunition to pass legislation and executive direction.

Posts: 14537 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Common Core!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1360 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
400-87=313 years of extra reparation payments.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
But why limit it to slavery in the US?

If we’re going to discuss slavery, we should point out that it has probably existed since people broke into different groups and started preying on each other. It has certainly existed throughout recorded history and among preliterate groups such as the aboriginal Americans until it was suppressed by their conquerors. The “manservants” and “maidservants” in scripture that we’re not supposed to covet if they belong to someone else? Yeah: slaves. Otherwise “coveting” them would be meaningless.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think the Romans had enslaved most of the Europeans for over 400 years. I want to be compensated with a Ferrari.

I feel like a perpetual victim for something that happened in ancient times, so I was thinking about a vintage Ferrari. A red one.

All Ferraris are red. The rest of them were just mistakes.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it recently stated that math is a White supremacist thing?

Math is illegitimate because it is white supremacist.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10694 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
But why limit it to slavery in the US?

If we’re going to discuss slavery, we should point out that it has probably existed since people broke into different groups and started preying on each other. It has certainly existed throughout recorded history and among preliterate groups such as the aboriginal Americans until it was suppressed by their conquerors. The “manservants” and “maidservants” in scripture that we’re not supposed to covet if they belong to someone else? Yeah: slaves. Otherwise “coveting” them would be meaningless.

Sure, but we are being held responsible for slavery in the US. That's 87 years. I think reparations for 87 years and the people affected during that time is going to be a disappointing sum.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29578 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Closer to thousands of years of slavery if you count the Indians too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
You should ask him how long Africa has existed on this earth. Then ask him WHY there's still an active Slave Trade in Africa.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Robert Downey said it as a joke in Tropic Thunder. Some people apparently didn't get the joke.

My last name is what it is (sort of) because of the second Muslim conquest of Sicily.

I say "sort of" because my great grandfather shortened it when he got to America to help assimilate, snd so he could maybe stand a chance of getting a job. (you know, cuz racism. Oh wait, that doesn't count as racism anymore. When their home/business were burned down because they were Italians, that doesn't count as racism either anymore)

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see how they figure who will get these 'reparations' since few if any of the slaves are still alive. So it's any African American or % thereof?

Then the Native Americans will want some...then there's the 1942-1946 US internment of Japanese Americans. The democrats will happily dole it out, it will never end.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Your using racist math.

Posts: 5296 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Tim Kaine (Hilary's running mate) recently told us that the US didn't "inherit" slavery, the US "created" slavery. So slavery didn't exist in the world until the US was formed. Don't liberals tell us the US was formed for the purpose of promoting slavery?

And that probably started in 1492 with Christopher Columbus (Columbus was evil you know).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Huh...guess Tim Pain hasn't read much about ancient Egypt. Seems those pyramids didn't build themselves, unless the aliens built them. What a complete ass-hat.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
So it's any African American or % thereof?

My guess would be that it would be just like applying for a job or college admission these days: Claim you are, and you are. Who’s going to put his own lucrative government job on line to say, “No, you’re not; prove it”? What’s actually surprising to me is that it took so long for people like Warren to just start doing it. There is a very fair-skinned woman who got accepted as being “black” on not much more basis than that, and if cash money was being handed out, can there be any doubt that the percentage of Americans of African heritage would jump immediately?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
Huh...guess Tim Pain hasn't read much about ancient Egypt. Seems those pyramids didn't build themselves, unless the aliens built them. What a complete ass-hat.....

The pyramids weren't built by unionized construction workers? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

My last name is what it is (sort of) because of the second Muslim conquest of Sicily.

I say "sort of" because my great grandfather shortened it when he got to America to help assimilate, snd so he could maybe stand a chance of getting a job. (you know, cuz racism. Oh wait, that doesn't count as racism anymore. When their home/business were burned down because they were Italians, that doesn't count as racism either anymore)

Wait, so your great great grandfather's original last name was Wopner, like the tv judge?

I kid, I kid. My wife is full Italian. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Tim Kaine (Hilary's running mate) recently told us that the US didn't "inherit" slavery, the US "created" slavery. So slavery didn't exist in the world until the US was formed. Don't liberals tell us the US was formed for the purpose of promoting slavery?

And that probably started in 1492 with Christopher Columbus (Columbus was evil you know).

If that idiot does not know that the US did NOT CREATE SLAVERY, then he is more of an idiot than I thought.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post