SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sewer Grinder Pumps and Drain Openers? ** 5/20 Update - Success and Thank You, Page 2 **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewer Grinder Pumps and Drain Openers? ** 5/20 Update - Success and Thank You, Page 2 ** Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
Our new-to-us hacienda is equipped with a sewer grinder pump. I'd never heard of such a thing until a few months ago when we first looked at this house.

Our closing docs included some hints / tips / best practices for maintaining a happy and healthy grinder pump, and I've done my own research online.

Of late, we're experiencing slow draining on one of the showers. My usual solution was to drop some super-powered drain opener from Home Depot; the precautions to not introduce "strong chemicals" to the system due to the grinder pump gave me pause.

Further online research is yielding mixed results - some sources say standard household stuff like Drano is okay, others say it's a no-go and to stick with baking soda and white vinegar. I've tried the latter and it's helped some, but hasn't solved the issue.

I've also called our sewer utility, where there is apparently ONE (count 'em) subject-matter expert on this topic, and I've not successfully tracked them down yet or received a return call.

So - anyone on the Forum who might have some real-life experience to share? I will continue "reaching out" to the utility in the meantime.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got a Muffin Monster? Is this on your own private septic, or is this part of a public system? I can't say I've heard of one on a private system.

That said, they're usually pretty robust. My main focus is from the drinking water side, so I won't go ahead and say it's ok to nuke it with all sorts of chemicals.

I will say, it's best to snake the drain if possible. Check this out: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zip...re-BC00400/100665735 . Actually works pretty well, and is thin and light enough to get around a snag/plug without pushing it too much further.

Good luck, I'd like to know what you find out.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
On a slow shower I'd first remove the strainer. There may be a cone of hair dangling down from the strainer. Once I removed such a cone 12" long. From a rock club band bathroom. Heavy metal dudes love long black hair.

Next I'd try a plunger. Make sure there is water in the shower basin so the plunger makes a seal. One rocks the effluent or obstruction with repeated motions of the plunger then gives a controlled pull to break suction. Hopefully there is a satisfying burp as the drain quickly clears.

Then I'd try mechanical means. Assuming there is a strainer on the drain, and a shampoo lid did not fall into the drain, a thin metal cable can be fished thru the trap.

On a copper/cast iron drain the throat of the wye can become constricted over time. On plastic, if a pipe is not deburred after cutting, the burrs can catch hair and whatnot, thus creating the obstruction. On pvc, there can be an ill-supported pipe with a "belly" in the pitch, accumulating its own assortment of grease, soap, etc ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you both! This is part of a public system, and I can easily pull the strainer off and check for hair, etc., and/or run a snake.

Will keep you posted, and thanks again!

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I like using straight bleach plus a few hours to let it work its magic.

I do not know if it really is a good idea or not.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Do not flush anything unless you've eatin it first.
No dental floss as it will wrap around the shaft and ruin the seal.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dad's a plumber, he says not to put chemicals in the system, whether it's public or private.

the chemical will get into your basin and will affect the pump/grinder...

physically remove the plug

(he also said that he would happily sell you a new pump in a few years if you do use the drano stuff-it's just lye and will kill your pump quickly)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Dad's a plumber, he says not to put chemicals in the system, whether it's public or private.

the chemical will get into your basin and will affect the pump/grinder...

physically remove the plug

(he also said that he would happily sell you a new pump in a few years if you do use the drano stuff-it's just lye and will kill your pump quickly)

Thank you - and I've heard that these lovely little pumps don't come cheap haha!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:

Thank you - and I've heard that these lovely little pumps don't come cheap haha!

no they are not, he sells "e-one" brand for small community septic systems and they are not cheap (~3000 and up) but they are a great pump and do last a long time (about 10-15 years dependent upon the owners use of chemicals)...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got this for a little used basement bathroom. Not pocket change but I've been hit a lot harder for plumbing repairs.

https://www.menards.com/main/p...&bargainStoreId=3329

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
... first remove the strainer. There may be a cone of hair dangling down from the strainer. Once I removed such a cone 12" long. ...

Yep, you can pull what looks like a small woolly mammoth outta yer drain with one of these.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I work for the city and we've got over 3000 grinder pumps that we service. Mostly Hydromatic but we have got some E-one units. We go through so many pumps we have an employee who rebuilds them. I would think drain cleaner would be fine if you ran plenty of water afterwards to dilute and remove the lye that ends up in the tank. Avoid pouring cooking grease/oil down the drain.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My townhouse unit has a grinder that services 4 townhouse units.
The Math:
4 bathtubs / showers
12 sinks
4 washers.
Once a year or so, the Township stops by and looks it over. No problems thus far and I have been here 8+ years. Who knows what my neighbors are flushing / draining but I don't do chemical de-cloggers or put grease down the drain.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I am not interested in learning how to rebuild sewage grinders for a career.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
It's not pretty.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Yep, my wife made a face when I explained to her what ye olde grinder pump does haha...heck, I made a face, too!

Methinks the next drain-clearance attempt is on my weekend agenda.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Yep, my wife made a face when I explained to her what ye olde grinder pump does haha...heck, I made a face, too!

Methinks the next drain-clearance attempt is on my weekend agenda.

there is good money in shit.....

dad's phone has been blowing up all day (he's here buying a house for my big kid and holding the mortgage) but he just giggles every time he hangs up.....he said he cant afford to retire he makes money hand over fist...but he deals with the poo

71 yo and still raking in the cash....

And rebuilding the pump is not really that hard-people just don't know how they work...but the key is the shit....no one wants to touch the poo....

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ I don't doubt it haha!

When I was first setting up an account over the phone with the sewer utility and the rep was explaining the whole grinder pump deal to me, I told her we'd never, ever, put ANYTHING down the garbage disposal and that my entire household would be converting to a vegetarian lifestyle, just to make things easier on the pump. Smile

Kidding, of course...on most of it, anyway!

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm betting a buck, even money, it is a duplex pump. Two pumps which alternate.

Fortunately, the shower has nothing to do with the pump.

Hey, maybe there is a diamond ring in there, twined about the hair!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
House's with grinder pumps are becoming common due to the fact the developer can get sewer for his homes where septic is not an option and gravity is not possible due to grade. They are ok but you have to be careful with what's flushed and also what you put down the garbage disposal example no baby wipes, female hygiene products because the impeller will get what is referred to as ragged up. If you are only having trouble with one drain or bathroom it not the grinder. The best grinder pump on the market is an E-One (brand). Chemicals will not harm the pump but once in the wet well its pumped into the Low Pressure Force Main and goes to where ever it goes. Chemicals are harmful to septic systems, they will kill the good bugs (bacteria). Just a little info for you, if more is needed email is in profile.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post