SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trick or treaters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trick or treaters Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My porch light is always on from dusk to dawn, for security purposes. I had totally forgotten about trick or treat last night, so the light was on, as it is every night.

The doorbell rang once. I was in the crapper, so I did not answer it.

True to form, the Ring Doorbell app showed forty seconds of black screen instead of actual video, so I have no idea what the little darling(s) looked like.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We had zero trick-or-treaters last night. We typically don't get many of them most years because of our, out of the way, location but none is unusual.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Third year that we've bought the "goods" and zip treaters. I keep telling the wife that most likely if we didn't purchase the goodies they would show up and leave disappointed, so we shell out the dough once again. At least we wised up and bought stuff we can munch away at so as not to get stuck with tossing it. Oh well.. Cool

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
No trick-or-treaters either....the church down the street hosted a trunk-or-treat, which is where all the kids probably went.

*am I the only one that thinks, trunk-or-treat is slightly creepy....we're teaching kids that candy is in the car trunk?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
We had about 550 kids this year, even with the rain. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, so they all come here to get sugared up. Its gets a bit expensive especially as a couple of towns from bordering VT, bring car loads over. Last year we had over 700.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Pretty decent haul last night! We took our 2 boys, 6 & 7, out from about 6:15 - 7:45. I just weighed their candy, 12 pounds! Not to shabby!

I am so glad they are gettign older now. The first few years it was a real pain having to go to every door with them. Now we just stay on the sidewalk and remind them to say thank you.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This was our first Hallowe'en in this neighborhood. Lots of little kids, very cute, accompanied by parents who stayed out on street, reminding them when needed to say "thank you".
Our daughter and husband came over with the seven-month old granddaughter, dressed as a pineapple!
For Mrs. Till and me, it was all very sweet, and a treat for us!

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...
True to form, the Ring Doorbell app showed forty seconds of black screen instead of actual video, so I have no idea what the little darling(s) looked like.

Ghosts...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
We had a good crew of trick or treaters between 6 and 8. All age appropriate, and we'll behaved, if excited. When I was taking the cutest butterfly in the world around for her trick or treating, I saw lots of parents chaperoning, too. It made for a good evening, and the kids were all having fun.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We had about 30 - 40 kids which is pretty good for our neighborhood. Some good costumes and almost all were younger and accompanied by adults.

We have a flying ghost that runs across the front yard and (almost) all the kids love it. There is always one who doesn’t really trust it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had zero kids last night. I live in an older community these days, and haven't had any kids for the last 2-3 years.....I miss seeing them.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We had a pair of brothers come last night and that's about par for us since we live in an older community.

I like Alan's style!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We had an above normal amount of kids, gave away some candy, mostly little ones and grade school kids, no teens so it was over early, 6:30 to about 8 pm and it was done.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife loves Halloween and loves seeing all the kids but now that we have 4 dogs, all with hair triggers on their barking feature, it has just become too hard/annoying so we shut the lights off and hide.

It is nice meeting the neighbors and such but what is not nice is the van loads full of kids from the barrio coming in to grab out "white privilege" treats and case our homes while they are at it...They are usually rude, greedy and barely dressed up

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Last year we had over 150 and were afraid we would run out of candy but this year we had less than 20 and the weather was great. But this year's crop was the by far the rudest and most ungrateful kids we've had. They walked up, held out their bags or just hands, no "Trick or Treat", and almost none of them bothered to say thank you. Parents were waiting in the street and didn't seem to notice.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Our development is the “go to” place for much of the city. Kids are literally are (church) bused in. The main drag is parked bumper to bumper and the local Park & Ride is used. The HOA hires city police to manage one area.
Based on my candy count we had 240. Totally fun bunch of kids, most with their parents.
When things died down about 8:30, I shut off the lights and fed the pups. Then I took them out to do their business. Big mistake. Turning the lights on brought kids like moths. I had to rush the pups back and feed the kids. Then I got the lights off. Parents were in their cars cruising the streets. When they saw lights, they released the hounds, eh kids.
Then at 0418 my young female worke up and started reminding me that she hadn’t had time to do all her business.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
We had 43 trick or treaters last night.

At 8PM, we closed shop as no one was out and about on our block.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We're a little out of the way, get only local kids. Last night we had 15 total. up to the 8 PM lights out. My wife loved them, my Border Collie even more so. My wife's favorite was a toddler, name of Jovi, from across the street. Jovi is named for Bon Jovi, only in Utah!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I had about a half dozen or so kids from our neighborhood....that was until around 08:30pm. That's when several car loads of black and hispanic kids showed up in our neighborhood. And not one of these kids paid any attention to my "Take two or three pieces" direction. Each of them reached into the bowl and took a handful of candy, which was kinda obnoxious. I just shook my head and went back inside.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
We probably had over 200 kiddies show up last night over here in Hokie Nation. It was great fun. I take the patio chimney thing out front and build a fire in it, and invite friends over. Chili, pulled pork, ham and cheese sliders, pecan and pumpkin pies... we had a feast!

Kids started showing up at about 6pm. We give out candy and glow-in-the-dark bracelets -- the kids love 'em, and it helps them to be seen a little better as darkness sets in.

The three stragglers who showed up at 9pm hit the mother lode in terms of candy -- each of 'em got a giant handful! Big Grin

And then I turned off the lights. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post