SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yankees acquire Stanton/TB Rays countermove (Baseball)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yankees acquire Stanton/TB Rays countermove (Baseball) Login/Join 
posted
"It would appear that the Giancarlo Stanton saga has come to a close. The Yankees are set to acquire the 2017 NL MVP from the Marlins in exchange for infielder Starlin Castro, along with minor-leaguers Jorge Guzman and Jose Devers. The Marlins will also send the Yankees $30MM in cash if Stanton does not opt out of his contract after the 2020 season. The deal is still pending a physical."

In other related news, the Tampa Bay Rays have signed utility player Miguel Estrujo to a five year contract in an apparent countermove to the news heard today. "Estrujo matches Stanton in OBP, OPS and OMG", said the Rays acting director. "We are very excited to have him in our family and his signing will surely inject fire in the bellies of all our fans", he added.

File photo added. Miguel Estrujo in full gear

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'2, 250lbs. I workout a lot, definitely don't feel like a small guy. Never in all my years working in baseball have I felt like a small guy when sitting in a dugout. Standing next to Giancarlo Stanton...I felt entirely inadequate and miniscule. His forearms would be more appropriately termed arm thighs. His thighs are each as big as my torso. Shaking his hand is not too different than shaking hands with a text book. He's simply a massive dude.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
I'm 6'2, 250lbs. I workout a lot, definitely don't feel like a small guy. Never in all my years working in baseball have I felt like a small guy when sitting in a dugout. Standing next to Giancarlo Stanton...I felt entirely inadequate and miniscule. His forearms would be more appropriately termed arm thighs. His thighs are each as big as my torso. Shaking his hand is not too different than shaking hands with a text book. He's simply a massive dude.

It's a solid move for the Yankees (I guess that goes without saying).

I can't help but wonder if this will have any impact on a potential Manny Machado contract. Does this put the Yankees out of the running? I know Stanton is an outfielder but will the Yankees want to have both of those massive contracts? Stanton is still due 295 million and Machado will get north of 300 million.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a potential Manny Machado contract

Rumour is Headley is on his way out.

The Yankees can afford it.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:

And Judge makes Stanton look a bit small.....human size and performance are reaching uncharted territory.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
a potential Manny Machado contract

Rumour is Headley is on his way out.

The Yankees can afford it.

They most definitely can, but will they want to? It seems like after the A-Rod contract they have been shying away from going that route again.

I get the differences between the A-Rod contract and potential Manny contract, but still. One thing is for sure he will not finish out his career here in Baltimore. No way in hell. So many local fans have pipe dreams about him staying - ain't gonna happen.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yankees have a conga line at third base. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/MLB/4415

But one thing we know, is that they hate paying for the luxury tax penalty.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I liked the Yanks last year but soured when they fired Giardi. Going to be hard to route for them, but the Sox fired their manager so who else is in that division? Orioles and who else. Tampa bay, hoboy. Probably root for Buck now.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I liked the Yanks last year but soured when they fired Giardi. Going to be hard to route for them, but the Sox fired their manager so who else is in that division? Orioles and who else. Tampa bay, hoboy.

The Orioles front office is run like the DNC. They won't be a threat anytime soon if ever, even with a great manager like Showalter.

posted Hide Post

quote:
Tampa bay, hoboy.

You can say that again.

However, Miguel Estrujo does have the MLB record (among active players) for HBP. Mostly in the head.

Bodes well for his OBP. Which is more like OMG.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Marlins will also send the Yankees $30MM in cash if Stanton does not opt out of his contract after the 2020 season.

This part confuses me. Confused

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stanton can opt out of his contract in 2020. Becoming then a free agent.

If he does, the Yankees don't need to pay the Marlins that money. If he doesn't, his contract expire$ in 2028(?).

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a solid move for the Yankees (I guess that goes without saying).

It would have been a solid move for the Cardinals too... and it was a done deal, but Stanton wouldn't waive the "no trade" clause to come here.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I liked the Yanks last year but soured when they fired Giardi. Going to be hard to route for them, but the Sox fired their manager so who else is in that division? Orioles and who else. Tampa bay, hoboy. Probably root for Buck now.

IDK, for some reason, I never felt anything for Girardi, and I'm a long time Yankees fan..

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8349 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

If he does, the Yankees don't need to pay the Marlins that money. If he doesn't, his contract expire$ in 2028(?).

Yeah, I get that.
Why pay 30MM?

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i understand and that is an individual deal. I am not a Yankee fan persae.
He did bring them a world championship. Managed them through a tough rebuilding stretch. Helped them come back. And them cushman fires him to save a few bucks. Hires a guy with no experience?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I believe the Yankees will make a push for Machado. I remember reading something about the CC Sabathia and Michael Pineda contracts falling off the books. Also remember something about the A-Roid contract expiring or something along those lines.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Yeah, I get that.
Why pay 30MM?

His remaining contract is $295 mil.

A way of sweetening the deal. Every million counts and the Marlins were eager to get rid of that financial burden.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Why pay 30MM?

Marlins will pay $30mm to offset part of Stanton's contract. It makes the contract more palatable to NY and provides a $3mm write down/yr on the contract for salary cap tax purposes. It's tricky accounting to try and stay under the payroll amount that pushes NY into repeat offender status for busting the cap.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if Manny plays for the Marlins, if they can come up with the money. He’s from Miami. Otherwise, yea, the steenking Yankees will sign him. The O’s don’t have a chance to extend him Frown

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post