SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I saved a house from fire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I saved a house from fire Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I am not an electrician, but I would be leary of that. If they are going to use a space heater, which Skins has pointed out is a really bad idea, isn't it even more of a safety hazard to use it on a circuit like that, without a ground pin in the plug?

Not having a ground isn't really an issue, but if the outlet isn't new enough to have a ground, I sure wouldn't trust the old wiring!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What are the odds that they did not have a working smoke detector?

I called and asked, my friend said yes, so I replied "Would you check while I have you on the phone?" Pushed the test button and I had them do a test with something actually smoking. It works. Then I checked mine, it works, too.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Not having a ground isn't really an issue, but if the outlet isn't new enough to have a ground, I sure wouldn't trust the old wiring!

The new outlet has a ground, which I connected.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
And, thanks for the attaboys, guys. It never hurts to help. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

The new outlet has a ground, which I connected.

I'm not an electrician, but do you mean that there was grounded wire going to an outlet box that had an ungrounded outlet? Is the rest of the wiring ungrounded? I only ask because I once had a "two wire" ungrounded house. In order to add a three prong outlet, it had to be a gfci.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Mothers, brothers and others, I present Exhibit 'B'.
I am not an electrician, but I would be leary of that. If they are going to use a space heater, which Skins has pointed out is a really bad idea, isn't it even more of a safety hazard to use it on a circuit like that, without a ground pin in the plug?

The heater they were using didn't have a ground from the factory, as seen in the picture it only has 2 wires so I don't know exactly why they were using the adapter anyway...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
quote:
quote:

The heater they were using didn't have a ground from the factory, as seen in the picture it only has 2 wires so I don't know exactly why they were using the adapter anyway...

That plug in the picture is not the original plug for that space heater. It's a $2 replacement. I wouldn't trust that with anything but a lamp. I do wonder what happened to the original plug end? Melted before, then replaced?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Holy crap batman! Talk about dodging a large caliber bullet!

Well done Club! Well done!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job! It’s scary how fast a house fire can become fully involved. Had that fire taken, we’re talking about a $200k insurance claim, never mind the potential loss of pets, life, irreplaceable sentimental items.

Also, don’t become so obsessed with drones and RC models you have their LiPo batteries charging all over the house. That was my latest one.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does that outlet say " 10A " ? If so , there's your problem . Most space heaters exceed that on the HIGH setting . And the Gnd adapter was another failure point .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, thanks for the attaboys, guys. It never hurts to help. Smile

God bless you for helping them. You really did well.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also had to splice in wires on one side, the heat had cooked off the insulation.

I think everyone involved is breathing a sigh of relief.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I also had to splice in wires on one side, the heat had cooked off the insulation.

I think everyone involved is breathing a sigh of relief.

Oops, didn’t mean to bump this, I was just fixing the picture urls.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Picture illustrates another problem with use of space heaters in older homes. Outlet is rated for 10A, most space heaters are 1500W (12.5A). Not only that the outlet was rated for 10A when it was new, not after 50+ years of use.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow!

And I thought my mother in law leaving the stove top on to heat the house was bad. Fortunately she doesn't live in that old house anymore.

She would not only use the stove top for heat but also used space heaters like this.

House was built in the late 40's/early 50's.

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
nice job

thats a nasty looking plug

any other damage?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Thankfully, no. I don’t know just how much borrowed time there was left, though. And at least it would be shut off when no one was there.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Wow!

And I thought my mother in law leaving the stove top on to heat the house was bad. Fortunately she doesn't live in that old house anymore.

She would not only use the stove top for heat but also used space heaters like this.

House was built in the late 40's/early 50's.

When I was a kid the furnace went belly up. In the dead of Winter. Until it could be fixed we were forced to use the oven, with the door open to try to keep the house warm. Fortunately that was only two or three days, if I recall correctly.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Heck, I’d prefer to only use them on 20 amp (or higher) rated circuits. If you are pulling a lot of current for the circuit you are potentially heating up everything back to the breaker box.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post